Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #161
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
He can also just wait an extra year, get a Harvard degree and then make a ton of money anyway.
His major is psychology with a minor in economics. How many opportunities are there for someone to make a tonne of money with just that degree?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:04 PM   #162
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
His major is psychology with a minor in economics. How many opportunities are there for someone to make a tonne of money with just that degree?
I think the point he was making that he will make a ton of money playing hockey even if he waits a year
Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 PM   #163
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Future Coach or General Manager? Good skillset!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #164
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprised he is staying only after his sophomore season. I am sure his Harvard degree means something to him, otherwise he wouldn't have committed to Harvard.

Bottom line the Flames can offer him something others two teams can't. Signing after his fourth year he will get more money and burning an elc year to get to the second contract quickier. Signing bonus for when he plays his first game late in the season and another signing bonus for his second year on July 1st. All within a few months.

From up Flames asset position, him playing college for two more years will help protect him from the expansion draft. Plus in two years you have some contracts coming up (if they are still here - Brodie and Hamonic). Also Gio will be on the wrong side of 35.

Last edited by Robbob; 03-22-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #165
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Harvard, dude!! How many people are dying to get an education there, let alone getting to play hockey with pretty much a guaranteed NHL contract waiting for you. My guess these Ivy League players will usually stay for the full duration before turning pro. Isn't the main reason these players choose to go to these type of school is education first, or they will just go to the best hockey program where they will have a quicker chance to turn pro?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 12:36 AM   #166
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh... not surprised by this. There is no pressure to do anything with him from the Calgary Flames' perspective. I don't think he is NHL-ready, and as he stated, he needs to work on his skating. The NCAA gives him one of the best avenues for that, even more so than the AHL.

This actually reduces the pressure that the Flames might see with their defensive prospects. Kylington, Andersson and Valimaki are - as of now - slated to start the year in the AHL. Adding Fox, plus ensuring that the Heat sign/retain a more experienced journeyman or two, makes it difficult to assure that all prospects get quality ice in key situations while still being sheltered when needed.

Next off-season I will start to worry. I think that it is then that the Flames will really want to sign Fox, and probably would start getting a bit worried he will push it out to become a FA.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 06:39 AM   #167
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I think the point he was making that he will make a ton of money playing hockey even if he waits a year
Ah, that makes way more sense.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #168
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As exciting as it would be to have one of our top prospects make the jump to pro, I think it's best fox get another year to grow and strengthen up.

It seems making the jump after junior year is a more common timeline anyways.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #169
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I don't think he's much of a trade chip at all. He's unsigned and if he's traded, he's still an unsigned college player. There's no guarantee he signs with any team and if a team the now they have a good shot at signing him, they can just wait until he's a UFA and sign him then. Would the Flames trade for an unsigned college player who might not sign with them at all or would they just wait and sign him without giving up assets?

They really need to fix this loop hole so teams aren't losing good prospects for nothing.
This has been the weirdest part of college free agents to me... why allow it to exist?

You can draft someone who decides to play somewhere else before ever donning your jersey... and people are trading for them...
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:41 AM   #170
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The absolute smartest route for this kid to take is to finish his education at Harvard.

He could blow out a knee, his back, etc in his entry level deal and then has absolutely nothing.

As a fan I want him here, but I hope he's receiving better advice from those close to him.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:46 AM   #171
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The absolute smartest route for this kid to take is to finish his education at Harvard.

He could blow out a knee, his back, etc in his entry level deal and then has absolutely nothing.

As a fan I want him here, but I hope he's receiving better advice from those close to him.
Not sure I agree with this. He could blow out a knee playing in college too, and then he'll never make an NHL salary.

His education is never going away and you can always complete it later, but an NHL career and NHL income can pass you by.

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-23-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #172
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Not sure I agree with this. He could blow out a knee playing in college too, and then he'll never make an NHL salary.

His education is never going away and you can always complete it later, but an NHL career and NHL income can pass you by.
Returning to one of the top universities in the world after a hiatus, or picking up your courses in the summer months is not remotely the same as doing so at community college or enrolling at a state school. Fox's best opportunity to earn a Harvard degree is now, and the risks of debilitating or career ending physical injury in the short term seems pretty insignificant by comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #173
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Harvard or not it's still just a frickin bachelor's degree. I met female pro hockey player Sydney Daniels the other day and she makes 30 grand a year playing pro hockey and has the exact same psych degree from Harvard.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #174
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
Harvard or not it's still just a frickin bachelor's degree. I met female pro hockey player Sydney Daniels the other day and she makes 30 grand a year playing pro hockey and has the exact same psych degree from Harvard.
Which she can use for further employment once her hockey career ends in her mid to late 30s....
Old 03-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #175
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Which she can use for further employment once her hockey career ends in her mid to late 30s....
And become a psychiatrist? With a bachelor's degree?

Fox can finish it at summer school and makes his millions asap. If he were to stay all four years the bigger factor would be choosing where he wants to play. The degree is icing on the cake, not the motivating factor.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #176
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Returning to one of the top universities in the world after a hiatus, or picking up your courses in the summer months is not remotely the same as doing so at community college or enrolling at a state school. Fox's best opportunity to earn a Harvard degree is now, and the risks of debilitating or career ending physical injury in the short term seems pretty insignificant by comparison.
Also not easy to go back to Harvard for a year (or take a couple summers) once you have a family and roots in another city, like most players do once they retire.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-23-2018 at 02:27 PM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #177
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
And become a psychiatrist? With a bachelor's degree?

Fox can finish it at summer school and makes his millions asap. If he were to stay all four years the bigger factor would be choosing where he wants to play. The degree is icing on the cake, not the motivating factor.
You're right, it's a completely useless piece of paper.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #178
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're right, it's a completely useless piece of paper.
A bachelor's degree in psychology? About the same use as a Philosophy or Political Science bachelor's degree. Useless unless you're going to go further to get more education or you're content being an assistant in academia.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:10 PM   #179
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Average Salary by Degree/Major Subject for Harvard University Alumni

https://www.payscale.com/research/US...lary/by_Degree

Last edited by troutman; 03-23-2018 at 03:12 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #180
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much value does a degree have if you go play pro hockey for 15 years after you get it? Probably not very much wherever it's from.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote