Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2018, 02:25 PM   #4341
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I liked Gulatzan for a while, and wanted to give him a chance.

Team seemed to be trending upwards, and finally we were the team that pounded on other teams for large portions of the game. I don't think i've ever really seen the flames be the possession type team. That said, it was a lot less frustrating pre 2017 when we somehow won despite being hemmed in our own zone. Now we have possession but the inability to win, and it's just so much worse.

Compound that with the inability to respond to adversity and this team is essentially unwatchable right now.

Anyways, my main point is I used to like him, but now am all over sacking him.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #4342
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Seems really shortsighted to get a dollar store coach when you're spending $75 Million on a roster. What's another couple million when you're already spending $75 just on the players?
Torture is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #4343
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It may not be that they were insistent, but it may be a consideration of all things being equal in their eyes, take the cheaper option if they are already paying Hartley.

A wrinkle in Gulutzan's career was his head coaching position in Dallas largely rested on the team being bankrupt at that time. He had been the minor league coach, promoted to head coach, and, based on franchise stewardship of creditors and the league, was likely the lowest paid coach in the NHL at that time.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:19 PM   #4344
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy #### he really isn’t fired yet.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #4345
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bring back the stretch pass and quick transition where we actually catch teams with their pants down.

That's how games are won in the current league it looks like. Keep the opposing team to the low percentage areas in your zone and look for openings to strike fast the other way.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:39 PM   #4346
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Holy #### he really isn’t fired yet.
Nobody is going to get fired until the end of the season. The best we can hope is that Treliving does it quick after the last game of the season. Whether the coaches we all want become available or not Gulutzan needs to go so he may as well do it right away.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #4347
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bring back the stretch pass and quick transition where we actually catch teams with their pants down.

That's how games are won in the current league it looks like. Keep the opposing team to the low percentage areas in your zone and look for openings to strike fast the other way.
Quick transition yes, stretch pass no.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:48 PM   #4348
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This argument won't go away but doesn't make much sense.

The Flames from 5 years ago had a GM, assistant and a coaching staff.

Now they have a head of hockey operations, a GM, and three assistants and a coaching staff.

If they were insistent on hiring cheap coaches why did they double their hockey exec contingent?
I would have agreed with this in the past, but they are about to hit their ceiling. I have no idea how accurate the number is, but I have read on these boards a few times that the Flames are operating with a 5 million dollar profit margin. IF that is true, will the Flames be willing to take a loss?

I know that the owners in the past have stated that they do not pull money out of the organization, and that they are willing to spend to the cap, but now they may find themselves deciding between actual 'profit and loss'.

If Gulutzan is indeed replaced this off-season (which seems likely, but who knows), then it will be really interesting to see what names are available and who the Flames reach out to and interview.

I am not really worried about it as others are - if the product on the ice stinks, the some fans may not have the appetite to purchase tickets, and I am sure the owners are very aware of this. A winning team will go a long ways in changing public opinion when it comes to the new arena.

At any rate, it will be rather interesting to see who the replacement will end up being (if, once again, Gulutzan is replaced).

Do you think that the owners would be willing to operate at a loss, however small it may be? I am not sure myself right now. Not being greedy and trying to pull out as much money as they can is one thing, but losing money might be that line that they refuse to cross.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #4349
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Quick transition yes, stretch pass no.
Foolhardy to exclude it completely from the gameplan though. There is a place for the stretch pass, just can't be as frequent as Hartley wanted to use it.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:22 PM   #4350
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Do you think that the owners would be willing to operate at a loss, however small it may be? I am not sure myself right now. Not being greedy and trying to pull out as much money as they can is one thing, but losing money might be that line that they refuse to cross.
They will be eventually operating at a loss anyway if the on-ice product continues to be putrid and fans continue to be fed up. They shouldn't be looking a coaching expense as a completely sunk cost, but as an investment with a variable return. How far do you think this team can make it in the playoffs (and get that juicy playoff revenue, when the players aren't being paid) with X coach for X amount of dollars, and is it worth the risk?

If the highest bar ownership sets for this club is "just get into the playoffs, give us maybe 2-4 games of playoff revenue", then they can kiss that sweet, sweet, round two+ playoff revenue goodbye. Every year. Unfortunately that seems to be their MO... just make it in, who cares what happens afterwards.

I expect that Gulutzan would not have been fired no matter what happened last season, because ownership probably weren't willing to pay for another coach plus two more to not coach. Now that Hartley is off the books, hopefully Treliving can bring in a more high profile guy.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:25 PM   #4351
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
Foolhardy to exclude it completely from the gameplan though. There is a place for the stretch pass, just can't be as frequent as Hartley wanted to use it.
It's not excluded, even now. You still see a couple every game. But a stretch pass usually means someone has flown the zone. Sometimes it's a legit gamble based on anticipating the change of possession. But it's a gamble nonetheless.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #4352
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know what kind of system the Jets, Tampa or Bruins play but they are fun to watch
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #4353
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I don't know what kind of system the Jets, Tampa or Bruins play but they are fun to watch
It is called the abundance of skill and mega depth system.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 07:36 PM   #4354
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two of those teams missed the playoffs last season and the other was out in the first round. It's a fine line and things can change quickly.

New system and a couple above average forwards could do wonders
Old 03-22-2018, 07:47 PM   #4355
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
It is called the abundance of skill and mega depth system.
I can't even count the amount of times I've seen the Flames defense get possession around the Flames blue line, and even though there are Flames forwards near the attack blue line, the Flames pass it back into their own zone.

You've just simply got to be kidding me that you can't see it has to do with Gulutzan's system. It's pretty obvious why his players have no faith in him, it's because he has no faith in them. He refuses to let them take any risks at all, and that stifles their offensive creativity.

No bloody wonder they quit on him. He never believed in them to begin with.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #4356
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
It's not excluded, even now. You still see a couple every game. But a stretch pass usually means someone has flown the zone. Sometimes it's a legit gamble based on anticipating the change of possession. But it's a gamble nonetheless.
A couple times a game isn't enough either sometimes. A stretch pass where someone flies the zone will also force the defense to gear back, thus allowing more ice up the middle to rush the puck.

It turned into one of the flames best chances last night, and they used it all of once the entire game.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 PM   #4357
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been hearing from lots of people that they often see Gaudreau and Monahan at Calgary bars (cowboys, national) during the season. If true, maybe that is part of the problem?
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:00 PM   #4358
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Blackhawks won three cups spamming stretch passes (albeit not to the extent Hartley did).

It really is not part of our repertoire. Players reading the occasional play is a far cry from actually utilizing the stretch pass to exploit opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I have been hearing from lots of people that they often see Gaudreau and Monahan at Calgary bars (cowboys, national) during the season. If true, maybe that is part of the problem?
I would bet that the older players with babies and toddlers at home are the bigger issue than Gaudreau and Monahan going out for wings and a beer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-22-2018 at 09:02 PM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 PM   #4359
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
They are young millionaires who are single, of course you see them at the bars. The question is, are they there the night before game. Way back when, people also saw, Roberts, Nieuwendyk, McInnis at bars.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #4360
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I can't even count the amount of times I've seen the Flames defense get possession around the Flames blue line, and even though there are Flames forwards near the attack blue line, the Flames pass it back into their own zone.

You've just simply got to be kidding me that you can't see it has to do with Gulutzan's system. It's pretty obvious why his players have no faith in him, it's because he has no faith in them. He refuses to let them take any risks at all, and that stifles their offensive creativity.

No bloody wonder they quit on him. He never believed in them to begin with.
IMO, it's less that Gulutzan doesn't believe in them, it's that he doesn't understand them, or even care to.

I'd describe his system as an assembly line. He has roles that he wants filled, and he puts people in them regardless of their capability to fulfill them. Brodie, left hand shot. Must be LD, even though he's better as RD. Brouwer, right hand shot. Therefore top pick for both PP and PK. Hamilton. RD, which means he's not a fit for the 1-3-1 powerplay because the system relies on bringing the puck up the left side, and only up the left side. Etc.

Gulutzan demands that players adapt to fit the jobs he gives them, while remaining completely inflexible himself. He doesn't adapt his system to his players' strengths, and the only times he has shown any inclination to change things up was when forced by injury. When left to his own devices, this is how Gulutzan views his players:

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote