Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 AM   #121
shotinthebacklund
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
That Dallas schedule is nasty
and a injury to bishop last game (dont know the extent)
shotinthebacklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #122
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think 92 will do it, but you never know
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #123
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I mean, if you assume every Central team plays below .500 the rest of the way obviously it'll be easier to get in, but I wouldn't be banking on that. If I predict LA and San Jose both go 4-10 the rest of the way, suddenly we can clinch a pacific spot with 86 points. To get a wildcard spot we need to pass all 3 of Dallas, St Louis, and Colorado, and I'd be willing to bet at least one of them has a strong finish. Plus once divisional spots are clinched teams at the top tend to fall off a bit, so I wouldn't rely on a difficult schedule helping us in the OOT scoreboard.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:37 AM   #124
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm oddly at peace with this whole thing.

My small goal is to get out of the lottery position (16th best team overall), they're currently 17th.

Then make it interesting into the last week.

After that why not make the playoffs.

If it doesn't work out it will be a shame, and a bit of a wasted season, but it doesn't change the fact that the team has a number of great pieces in place and should be better with the right moves in the summer.

In the meantime I'm almost relieved not to have that sceptre of tanking hanging over our heads.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #125
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

All I've been hoping for ALL SEASON is we hang in there either in, or near a playoff spot, and with 10-15 games remaining we heat up.

IMO right now is the PERFECT time to go on a run. Every year someone does it, and every once in a while that run carries on into the playoffs (like Nashville last year).

Sometimes in life it's not about anything else except timing and some luck. We have been playing well and not getting results until the last 2 games, so really when I look at it I ask myself "why not us this year"? Why can't we heat up? It's happened once before this year (cut short by a break) but if we start to go now, this team can do some serious damage if everyone goes into all star mode.

The pieces are there to do it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #126
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hope the flames players don't read the article. It will give them an excuse to take a few more games off
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #127
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
All I've been hoping for ALL SEASON is we hang in there either in, or near a playoff spot, and with 10-15 games remaining we heat up.

IMO right now is the PERFECT time to go on a run. Every year someone does it, and every once in a while that run carries on into the playoffs (like Nashville last year).

Sometimes in life it's not about anything else except timing and some luck. We have been playing well and not getting results until the last 2 games, so really when I look at it I ask myself "why not us this year"? Why can't we heat up? It's happened once before this year (cut short by a break) but if we start to go now, this team can do some serious damage if everyone goes into all star mode.

The pieces are there to do it.
And often before a winning streak, you heat up during a losing streak which happened vs the Stars, Rangers and Penguins where the result was frustrating because of the strong play. OPTIMISM
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #128
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've been at peace for a while now. I was fairly optimistic in September that this would be a season they take a step forward as the blue line was solidified and Smith even if he played to his career norm would be good enough to back stop the team to success. The team was in the 2nd year under Gulutzan so it was fair to expect that the adjustment period of the new coach and system would be over and the team would be able to come out of the gates strong to the point where they wouldn't have to play catch up. By late December it was apparent that this was not likely going to be the step forward I had hoped for so I've kind of accepted since then that baring some Cinderella run that the team would not exceed last season's success. The fact they may do worse is not really surprising seeing how the team has just been off all season for the most part.

I like the roster for the most part and feel only a top line winger and some bottom 6 tweaks are required so I really hope the GM doesn't make drastic moves. To me it's pretty clear the prudent move at this stage of the team's maturity is to make is to change the coaching staff rather than make any drastic changes to the roster. I'm okay with a guy like Brodie moved out as I feel that defensive depth is the strength of the organization but I don't think that's going to amount to much if the same coaches are behind the bench.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 PM   #129
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, unfortunately the reason we're all at peace with it all, is because we know this season is a rather hopeless situation. There's just not much to get excited about here...even if this teams squeaks into the playoffs, this team is not going to make any waves.

It's a wasted year no question about it. We have a relatively solid group of players who are simply ineffective under the system the coaches have implemented, and a management group unwilling to pivot with either.

As much as we laugh at the Oilers for wasting a year of cheap McDavid, we too wasted a year of cheap Gaudreau and Tkachuk.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #130
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

My small goal is to get out of the lottery position (16th best team overall), they're currently 17th.

Then make it interesting into the last week.

After that why not make the playoffs.

If it doesn't work out it will be a shame, and a bit of a wasted season, but it doesn't change the fact that the team has a number of great pieces in place and should be better with the right moves in the summer.

In the meantime I'm almost relieved not to have that sceptre of tanking hanging over our heads.
Excuse the stupid question but can they be out of a playoff position and still pick bottom 16. I assumed that all 16 playoff teams pick bottom 16 as opposed to overall regular season standings.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #131
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Excuse the stupid question but can they be out of a playoff position and still pick bottom 16. I assumed that all 16 playoff teams pick bottom 16 as opposed to overall regular season standings.
Yes, you're correct. The non-playoff teams automatically get the top-15 spots in the Draft (and all get some chance in the lottery). The playoff teams are seeded into the bottom 16 spots in the Draft.

In 2010, the Flames had the 16th-best record overall but missed the playoffs because they were 10th in the West. They had the 13th pick in the Draft (St Louis was ahead of them and also out of the playoffs).
Old 03-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #132
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, unfortunately the reason we're all at peace with it all, is because we know this season is a rather hopeless situation. There's just not much to get excited about here...even if this teams squeaks into the playoffs, this team is not going to make any waves.

It's a wasted year no question about it. We have a relatively solid group of players who are simply ineffective under the system the coaches have implemented, and a management group unwilling to pivot with either.

As much as we laugh at the Oilers for wasting a year of cheap McDavid, we too wasted a year of cheap Gaudreau and Tkachuk.
Only agree if they miss.

Hope they get a chance to prove you wrong by getting there and doing some damage when they do.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #133
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Only agree if they miss.

Hope they get a chance to prove you wrong by getting there and doing some damage when they do.
I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but this team has a pretty poor track record of facing up to challenges this season, never mind exceeding them.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #134
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post

They also have their first rounder. I hope they don't all of a sudden magically click next year. They still have a way out of the mess they have created. We should be better to though through trades and graduating D man. Next year will be a lot better than this year for both teams I imagine.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM   #135
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I concur with Bingo. I would hate for the Flames to miss the playoffs, but such is life. I can just look at the core of this team and feel confident that at least it is still moving in the right direction.

If the Flames don't make it, it will at least be interesting to see what happens with the coaching staff and personnel moves. Treliving is not gun-shy about making moves, so as fans we will at least have something to discuss, even if there ends up being some polarizing moves (or lack of moves).

Still hope they sneak-in. Could happen... crazier things have happened. Until then, I just hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and look forward to it all. Such a slight chance that the pick ends up winning the lottery, so I am not worried about it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #136
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Great article that puts the push into perspective. It is hard to argue with the projections, I was looking at the Stars schedule last week and thought they may have the toughest time....depends on Bishop's status.

If Rittich can win tomorrow, I can see a healthy Smith carrying the team into the playoffs. The do or die situation takes GGs infamous player usage out of the equation because he can not keep rolling the same lines if they are not clicking like he has been doing.

The Flames seem more like a cramming team that gets the result than a team that is well prepared for its exam. I can see the lines starting to heat up, especially after a couple of tough losses despite playing well.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 PM   #137
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like the organization's culture of mediocrity has permeated the fanbase's expectations too now. Never seen so many people content with an average product in a year where we were told steps forward would be made.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 PM   #138
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
Looks like the organization's culture of mediocrity has permeated the fanbase's expectations too now. Never seen so many people content with an average product in a year where we were told steps forward would be made.
Not everyone can be as great a fan as you.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #139
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Connor, It's Mess View Post
From the countless fire ___ or ___ player sucks threads I don't infer most on here accept mediocrity or are content. Most are unhappy with where we are at, if not downright mad. I think it's more a matter of being realistic with what we've seen. We've seen a somewhat streaky team and a mentally fragile team through the season.

We're not expecting that will drastically change over the next few weeks. We're not expecting The Flames to be this season's Preds and be the surprise conference champs. That's not being content really, that's more facing reality and saying if this is what they are going to be, then we are resigned to that and are hoping to at least not be a lottery pick for NYI.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 03:05 PM   #140
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this conversation would be very different if we had our own first rounder. Nobody is under any real illusions about what this team is, but the best possible outcome is to make the playoffs since there is no upside for not doing so.
Five-hole is online now   Reply With Quote