Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #101
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Management would do a season ticket holder session the week after the deadline. Didn’t they used to have them mid year when Feaster was GM?

They took a lot of heat last summer for losing to the Oilers. Even though this team is in contention for a playoff spot the home record and record against the Oilers is unacceptable.

I am resigned to the fact this coaching staff is here until the end of the season unless they make the conference finals I think that group needs to be changed this summer and the Flames should pay up for a Quenville flor AV if either hits the market
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:32 PM   #102
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I wish Management would do a season ticket holder session the week after the deadline. Didn’t they used to have them mid year when Feaster was GM?

They took a lot of heat last summer for losing to the Oilers. Even though this team is in contention for a playoff spot the home record and record against the Oilers is unacceptable.

I am resigned to the fact this coaching staff is here until the end of the season unless they make the conference finals I think that group needs to be changed this summer and the Flames should pay up for a Quenville flor AV if either hits the market
This team will not pay top dollar for a coach so they won’t be getting Quenville or Vigneault. That’s why we ended up with Glen instead of Boudreau in the first place.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #103
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
The crowd is waiting for something to cheer for. This team plays like a steaming pile of dog #### at home. Hard to get excited for that. The crowd was wanting to get into it last night, but by halfway through the second period their only ambition was to get home early.

These home games are ridiculous. Strongly considering giving up my season tickets this year. Too much money and too much of a time commitment to not be entertained in the slightest. That can be said for quite a few of the other season ticket holders in my section. People are starting to have had enough. Not sure if they picked it up in tv last night, but those who were left booed the team off the ice last night and rightfully so. I tried to leave early, to beat the rush but the rush started with ten minutes left in the third so I just finished the game and walked right out and my DD (wife)drove out of the parking lot with zero congestion.
You make some semi valid points, but I was there and I didn't hear any booing. That part was way over stated IMO
Old 02-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #104
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This team will not pay top dollar for a coach so they won’t be getting Quenville or Vigneault. That’s why we ended up with Glen instead of Boudreau in the first place.
If there is any truth to this the Flames are going to keep staying mediocre.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #105
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You have zero evidence of this. They paid a big price for Sutter IIRC. In any event, there are coaches paid more than Boudreau who are way less successful, and coaches paid less who are more, so there's not a lot of correlation.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #106
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You have zero evidence of this. They paid a big price for Sutter IIRC. In any event, there are coaches paid more than Boudreau who are way less successful, and coaches paid less who are more, so there's not a lot of correlation.
What did we pay for Sutter? Are you talking Darryl or Brent?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:46 PM   #107
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
These home games are ridiculous. Strongly considering giving up my season tickets this year. Too much money and too much of a time commitment to not be entertained in the slightest. That can be said for quite a few of the other season ticket holders in my section. People are starting to have had enough. .
Sorry to be harsh BUT Flames owners know very well you and the others will sign up next year just like you always do. It is one reason why this team is perpetually in a cycle of mediocrity. It sells here.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #108
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Does this theory hold any water in a world where they've added an extra layer to management in Burke, have boosted the assistant GM suite by three bodies in Pascal, Conroy and Maloney and boosted the scouting department?

Why pay a million or two less for a coach with a hard line and do all that?

Winning is tough. It's 31 teams all trying to do the same thing. You have to make 100 calls on players and you hope to get 70 of them right. It's tough. They may or may not be the right people making these decisions but I'm not sure I follow the happy with mediocrity or cheaping out on a coach theories given their efforts.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #109
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Sorry to be harsh BUT Flames owners know very well you and the others will sign up next year just like you always do. It is one reason why this team is perpetually in a cycle of mediocrity. It sells here.
You can walk up and buy tickets to any game you want this year and if you wanted season you could pick up the phone and have them take tomorrow. While what you said may have been true from 2006-2014, it’s not the case anymore.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #110
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Does this theory hold any water in a world where they've added an extra layer to management in Burke, have boosted the assistant GM suite by three bodies in Pascal, Conroy and Maloney and boosted the scouting department?

Why pay a million or two less for a coach with a hard line and do all that?

Winning is tough. It's 31 teams all trying to do the same thing. You have to make 100 calls on players and you hope to get 70 of them right. It's tough. They may or may not be the right people making these decisions but I'm not sure I follow the happy with mediocrity or cheaping out on a coach theories given their efforts.
This team is certainly not cheap, I just don’t think they’ve ever showed as an organization they were willing to spend top dollar on a coach. Doesn’t seem to be in their playbook.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #111
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

If management and/or owners were happy with mediocrity, why would they spend to the cap? Makes no sense.

And like Bingo said, why have Burke and Maloney around? Can't Treliving achieve mediocrity by himself?

Maybe they didn't go after Boudreau because they didn't think he was the right guy.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #112
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames yet again never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #113
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
This team is certainly not cheap, I just don’t think they’ve ever showed as an organization they were willing to spend top dollar on a coach. Doesn’t seem to be in their playbook.
Both Sutters were paid right at the top of the coaching pay scale at the time of their hires.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #114
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The crowd is waiting for something to cheer for. This team plays like a steaming pile of dog #### at home. Hard to get excited for that. The crowd was wanting to get into it last night, but by halfway through the second period their only ambition was to get home early.

These home games are ridiculous. Strongly considering giving up my season tickets this year. Too much money and too much of a time commitment to not be entertained in the slightest. That can be said for quite a few of the other season ticket holders in my section. People are starting to have had enough. Not sure if they picked it up in tv last night, but those who were left booed the team off the ice last night and rightfully so. I tried to leave early, to beat the rush but the rush started with ten minutes left in the third so I just finished the game and walked right out and my DD (wife)drove out of the parking lot with zero congestion.
Ya and add to that all the negativity over the arena debacle and the threats of relocation and I am starting to think the same thing. The season tickets I would be giving up would be the ones my family has held since the first season in the Corral.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:07 PM   #115
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Ya and add to that all the negativity over the arena debacle and the threats of relocation and I am starting to think the same thing. The season tickets I would be giving up would be the ones my family has held since the first season in the Corral.
Yup. I was so excited for this season and when they pulled that relocation BS the week before the season started I lost all momentum, and when I go there night in and night out and never leave happy it just seems like it’s time to evaluate where I spend my disposable income. I’ll always be a fan and watch on tv, but committing the amount of time and resources I currently do just isn’t making sense. I get more excited for Roghnecks game than I do a Flames game. It’s almost a chore to go the dome now for a Flames game.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 02-18-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #116
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

wrong thread
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #117
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe these "top dollar coaches" don't wanna come here.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #118
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What did we pay for Sutter? Are you talking Darryl or Brent?
I was talking Darryl, but I doubt Brent came cheap. He was negotiating with his brother and he essentially was enticed away from NJ (technically he wasn't hired away, but he deliberately didn't re-sign so he could come to Calgary).
Old 02-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #119
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I was talking Darryl, but I doubt Brent came cheap. He was negotiating with his brother and he essentially was enticed away from NJ (technically he wasn't hired away, but he deliberately didn't re-sign so he could come to Calgary).
So how much did we pay Darryl?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:36 PM   #120
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So how much did we pay Darryl?
They didn't disclose the number but it was always said to be at or near the top. I suspect it was close to what he signed for in LA (absent the GM pay).