Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #1181
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The Dome is acceptable? MAYBE today, but in another 8 years.....

I guess if the idea is the host the premier sports event in the world in a garbage stadium, then it is acceptable
What do you expect to happen to it in the next 8 years? It's concrete, steel, and cinder blocks, it's not like the termites are going to get to it.

In order to host the Winter Games, you need two large arenas (15,000+ for hockey and figure skating/short track) and two small arenas (5,000 or so for hockey and curling). The logistics for all of the required events don't work otherwise.

The Saddledome will be one of the large arenas. If the other large arena isn't a new arena for the Flames, it will be in some other city nearby, and no one wants that.

I don't care about ski jumping being held in Whistler, but if hockey and figure skating aren't both held inside the city of Calgary, I have no desire to spend another cent on a bid.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #1182
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
In order to host the Winter Games, you need two large arenas (15,000+ for hockey and figure skating/short track) and two small arenas (5,000 or so for hockey and curling). The logistics for all of the required events don't work otherwise.
I wonder if under the new requirements that Winsport would be acceptable as one of the small capacity arenas (it seats 3000)? In terms of aesthetics it certainly would give a nice look to visitors and viewers, especially being right on the original Canada Olympic Park.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #1183
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I wonder if under the new requirements that Winsport would be acceptable as one of the small capacity arenas (it seats 3000)? In terms of aesthetics it certainly would give a nice look to visitors and viewers, especially being right on the original Canada Olympic Park.
I think there are two problems with using the rink at Winsport (this is based on the report the exploratory committee delivered to Council last year)...

1. COP will already be a very busy location during the Games with the sliding events and some of the freestyle/snowboarding events likely being held there (also one of the reasons why COP isn't a great location for ski jumping). As a result, it would be a parking and traffic nightmare if they need to move an additional 3,500 people in and out for arena events.

2. The capacity of the arena is too small for the anticipated demand for any event that might be held there. Curling could easily draw at least double that capacity in Canada, and even small hockey crowds would easily fill it up. The small arenas in Korea aren't much bigger than Winsport, but those sports are much bigger draws in Canada. One of the things that will make or break the financial viability of the Games is ticket sales, so using a smaller arena would hurt that.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #1184
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
It really is the perfect storm for Calgary. We hold all the negotiating cards vs. the IOC.

I believe NBC is committed as US host broadcaster through 2034, and you can bet they will put huge pressure on the IOC to get the 2026 games back to North America. They cannot be happy with three consecutive games (S. Korea, Tokyo, Beijing) in Asian time zones.
redaced: brainfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
My point is get the money from the IOC.
Why on earth would the IOC give money? The mere fact that they're not turning screws forcing a host city to build new facilities is in and of itself a virtually unprecedented capitulation on their part. It's the same deal Los Angeles is getting for hosting the summer games, use what you already have instead of blowing cash on new toys. That in itself is the leverage being utilized, period.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; 02-15-2018 at 06:22 PM.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 PM   #1185
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stockholm has sent mixed messages. Last year, they said they definitely weren't going to bid, but they've still been involved with the IOC exploring the possibility of a bid.

I'd say they're still a longshot on bidding at this point.

Western Europe had the Winter Olympics in 2006. That's only 20 years from 2026, and only 4 years longer than North America.

Also, what makes Stockholm a more obvious city than Calgary?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:23 PM   #1186
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Stockholm has sent mixed messages. Last year, they said they definitely weren't going to bid, but they've still been involved with the IOC exploring the possibility of a bid.

I'd say they're still a longshot on bidding at this point.

Western Europe had the Winter Olympics in 2006. That's only 20 years from 2026, and only 4 years longer than North America.

Also, what makes Stockholm a more obvious city than Calgary?
You're right, I forgot about Turin
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #1187
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have Harvard that figure of $30 million just to submit a final bid bandied about a lot in the local media, this figure is noted in this article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...2026-1.4489523

As for the ioc chipping in for a new arena, i’d Keel over or eat someone pubes if that ever happened, of course they want Calgary to bid, they likely want some other cities as well, more bids equal mo e chances for the lords of the rings to make site visits and whatnot.

Early estimates indicate that there will be a shortfall of two billion between the cost and the ticket revenue, so the real shortfall will likely be over three billion and perhaps four.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM   #1188
Nacre
Draft Pick

Quote:
Their Olympic Committee is interested. The locals are not.

There are no mountains with the required vertical drop for championship level alpine skiing near Stockholm anyway.

Quote:
2. The capacity of the arena is too small for the anticipated demand for any event that might be held there. Curling could easily draw at least double that capacity in Canada, and even small hockey crowds would easily fill it up.
Sochi's curling arena only seats 3,000. And South Korea's only seats 3,500. The demand might be higher in Canada, but the capacity is technically big enough for the Olympics.

The formula for Calgary is simple. Bid with the existing venues. If the IOC accepts them then great. If not then Calgary doesn't get the Olympics and the IOC can give the winter games to Kazakhstan instead.
Nacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #1189
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacre View Post

The formula for Calgary is simple. Bid with the existing venues. If the IOC accepts them then great. If not then Calgary doesn't get the Olympics and the IOC can give the winter games to Kazakhstan instead.
Agree with Corbella's take on this:

http://calgaryherald.com/opinion/col...-host-olympics
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #1190
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for buildings that could be built that would be used for the Olympics, which ones would be new?

- Obviously, a new hockey arena
- Curling venue, which could be done in the new fieldhouse
- Nakiska upgrades for many of the alpine/snow park events (with or without the downhill alpine events occuring at Lake Louise)
- Winsport upgrades for other snow park events

Anything else that would need to be newly built/significantly upgraded? If not, then a fair amount of events can occur in the currently built venues then.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 05:39 PM   #1191
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you could use Winsport for curling. It’d be nice to see Father David Bauer get an upgrade for Women’s hockey. Max Bell is an option too.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #1192
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
So for buildings that could be built that would be used for the Olympics, which ones would be new?

- Obviously, a new hockey arena
- Curling venue, which could be done in the new fieldhouse
- Nakiska upgrades for many of the alpine/snow park events (with or without the downhill alpine events occuring at Lake Louise)
- Winsport upgrades for other snow park events

Anything else that would need to be newly built/significantly upgraded? If not, then a fair amount of events can occur in the currently built venues then.
Depending on the construction timetable for the BMO Centre, the Corral could potentially be used as the small hockey/sledge hockey venue, although it would require significant renovations, especially to be usable for sledge because the dressing rooms and ice surface would all need to be accessible.

That would be a lot of money (estimated around $20 million in the report to Council) for a building that's scheduled to meet a wrecking ball soon.

If the Stampede pushes the BMO Centre renovations up to use the full facility as the International Broadcast Centre for the Games, the Corral would be torn down and a different small hockey venue would need to be found.

If the Corral isn't available, the next largest arenas in Calgary are either Winsport or Max Bell. They would likely want bigger arenas than that.

The Flames new arena will likely have an attached practice rink (as has become customary in new arenas). If designed with temporary expansion in mind, they could potentially build it to hold 6000+ for the Olympics and then downsized afterwards (or build it to be 6000 permanently to replace the Corral straight-up).

If they start to look outside the city limits, I could see the Centrium in Red Deer as a good Curling venue. They would want the hockey rinks to be as close to each other as possible.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #1193
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm surprised the corral isn't a protected heritage building by now.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #1194
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

A new stadium or serious upgrades should be included too. Can we get a field house out of the deal too?
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #1195
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
I'm surprised the corral isn't a protected heritage building by now.
Why? Is there a cinder block shortage? Faux Art Deco facades 30 years past prime in high need of protection?
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 PM   #1196
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Why? Is there a cinder block shortage? Faux Art Deco facades 30 years past prime in high need of protection?
How many other buildings in town have such slanted stairs?

Seriously though, it will be nice if they can preserve/re-purpose the old paintings of the king [and/or queen?] and the great relics from the concourse. Nothing else will be missed.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #1197
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random thought du jour - I wonder how hosting the games might affect the timeline on West Calgary Ring Road (16th to Highway 8).

From an earth moving perspective, using what they dig out for the road into the hill they could build up a hill and new start complex for sliding events (perhaps helping increase initial speed to make the course more challenging/Olympic worth).

Logistically, I wonder if they would want to make use of areas west of COP (including the West Calgary Campground) for parking and shuttle over to the base. Having the WCRR project started but not completed might offer some good opportunities.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #1198
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While the dome is not ideal it certainly is consistent with the recent examples. I believe the one in Pyongchang is only around 14K capacity. I don't see the NHL returning to the games in the near future so hockey has essentially become a minor event for the IOC.

I'd be more concerned about Nakiska as a ski hill then the Saddledome as a hockey arena.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:30 PM   #1199
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

So looking into the exploration doc, caught something that surprised me.

I figured that if they wanted to, they could build ski jumping ramps at Nakiska, but according to the report they found that area, nor any other surrounding Kananaskis area suitable in hosting it.

However, what surprised me is that Winsport is suitable to host ski jumping events, but would have to build it to modern standards to pull it off, which is why Whistler is an option that's being considered, but not determined to be preferential yet.

I just assumed that the area would be too small even if they were to regrade things, but turns out that's not the case.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote