Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #81
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At 6 pm, through the work week, without fail, the next 3 trains going through Centre street station are McKnight.

Without. Fail.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #82
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

There are only "three-in-a-row" of any train if there are problems. A shutdown or delay will cascade to all lines in short order. Same for buses.
stevinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #83
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

worst issue I have with Calgary Transit is the assumption that if you get off work at 5pm, you can be at your bus station at 5:05. Cause you have to if you take the 17 northbound. After that time, if you work later, you really can't take the bus home, cause it doesn't come anymore. What, one bus for anyone working after 5, and it comes at 5:05?

Ridiculous.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #84
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
worst issue I have with Calgary Transit is the assumption that if you get off work at 5pm, you can be at your bus station at 5:05. Cause you have to if you take the 17 northbound. After that time, if you work later, you really can't take the bus home, cause it doesn't come anymore. What, one bus for anyone working after 5, and it comes at 5:05?

Ridiculous.
I looked at the #17 schedule and it does run after 5pm with the last trip leaving from Bow Valley Sq at 10:39pm.
stevinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #85
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For bus users I think that informative bus signs would be helpful. Having to research ahead of time what number is needed is just plain dumb.

The image posted is at the extreme end of the spectrum but it certainly made getting around the city quite easy. Every stop on the bus route is listed on that sign and the signs are at every stop along the routes.

Right now the bus stop signs are pretty much useless.

While on the topic, an interactive website would be a plus as well. Plug in your departure point and destination and it spits out all the combinations - really should not be that difficult to do. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong spot but when I looked for routes on the site I got a pdf.

Last edited by SeoulFire; 10-13-2010 at 04:25 PM.
SeoulFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #86
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I did a quick check and there are consecutive NE trains at 7th St station at 5:55pm/5:58pm, 6:48pm/6:50pm, and 7:12pm/7:17pm on weeknights, amongst others.

There are also several times where McKnight and Somerset trains are scheduled for the same minute!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #87
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
While on the topic, an interactive website would be a plus as well. Plug in your departure point and destination and it spits out all the combinations - really should not be that difficult to do. Perhaps I was looking in the wrong spot but when I looked for routes on the site I got a pdf.
What you're looking for is Google Transit. Try it out at maps.google.com. The only shortcoming seems to be that it will only tell you the next bus, it won't let you see the best trip for, say, the next morning or a week from now or whatever. The Trip Planner on Calgary Transit's website will do this, but after experimenting with it a bit, it doesn't always give you the best trip and comes up with some strange routings a lot of the time.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #88
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
You also have to look at how adding new lines will increase the amount of traffic downtown for train useage.

Currently the train probaly sees probably half as much traffic as it would if all the proposed tracks were finished. If they increase the amount of people using trains/day by 100,000 people than that means the downtown train system HAS to be able to support that many people (which it currently cannot)

They need to either do a skyrail service on 7th avenue or the 8th avenue subway system and have NW trains run from 8th or whatever...
7th Avenue is at capacity now. The 8th Avenue subway is part of the solution. The rest of how capacity downtown will be added is as folows:

- 4 car trains along with slightly better station loccations from 7th Avenue Refurbishment (currently being done)

- West LRT will not add any trains to 7th Avenue. It can be seen as an operational extension to the NE LRT. Instead of stopping and turning around at 10th Street West Station, NE trains will just continue west and eventually turn around at the end of the West LRT line

- Southeast LRT will also not add any trains to 7th Avenue. It will run in its own subway along 10th Avenue and 2nd Street West.

- 8th Avenue Subway will enable the Northwest, South, Northeast, and West lines to add capacity by ensuring they do not share track along 7th Avenue
Old 10-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #89
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
What you're looking for is Google Transit. Try it out at maps.google.com. The only shortcoming seems to be that it will only tell you the next bus, it won't let you see the best trip for, say, the next morning or a week from now or whatever.
Actually it will do that. Right under the destination text field is "show options", which allows you to schedule a specific departure or arrival time as well as a "depart now" option.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #90
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Ah good to know. The next flaw then becomes that those are just scheduled times, rather than actual realtime information.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #91
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
^Ah good to know. The next flaw then becomes that those are just scheduled times, rather than actual realtime information.
Yeah, but that's a problem with Calgary Transit, not Google. A real Google flaw is that they don't get the detour information that calgarytransit.com does. Then again, I haven't checked if those make it into Trip Planner either.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #92
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Yeah. Wasn't trying to say it was a Google problem.

The Trip Planner sucks. I've given up on it and if I had to choose between that and making my own route based off paper schedule brochures, I'd pick the brochures.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #93
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
The Trip Planner sucks. I've given up on it and if I had to choose between that and making my own route based off paper schedule brochures, I'd pick the brochures.
Yeah me too. I can walk more than 50 meters rather than wait 15 minutes, or whatever dumb threshold it uses. And no, I'm usually not going to try the 1 minute bus-bus connection either.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #94
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I did a quick check and there are consecutive NE trains at 7th St station at 5:55pm/5:58pm, 6:48pm/6:50pm, and 7:12pm/7:17pm on weeknights, amongst others.

There are also several times where McKnight and Somerset trains are scheduled for the same minute!
Which is BS.

There should NEVER be consecutive NE trains.

Not while I'm standing at Centre Street station freezing my arse off in winter waiting for my cozy heated train.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #95
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think what it is, is the middle NE train is actually coming from the NW. They have these NW-NE trains every now and then.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #96
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I care not!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:56 AM   #97
chris_yk
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yads View Post
I think what it is, is the middle NE train is actually coming from the NW. They have these NW-NE trains every now and then.

Those are so annoying! A couple times I've gotten on the train at University to head to a Flames game and next thing you know we're at the Zoo stop and have to backtrack.
chris_yk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #98
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
Which is BS.

There should NEVER be consecutive NE trains.
Isn't there now a major C-Train parking garage at the end of the NE line? I thought I saw it when I was up there a while ago.

If so, these post rush hour trains may be just heading to get parked. With there being no express line they may as well pick up passengers as opposed to run empty.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #99
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Isn't there now a major C-Train parking garage at the end of the NE line? I thought I saw it when I was up there a while ago.

If so, these post rush hour trains may be just heading to get parked. With there being no express line they may as well pick up passengers as opposed to run empty.
That's correct. That's why trains from NW are sometimes NE after rush hour.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #100
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinder View Post
I looked at the #17 schedule and it does run after 5pm with the last trip leaving from Bow Valley Sq at 10:39pm.
Why do you think I was waiting? The buses are scheduled, but they often don't come.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings