Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #2021
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone "in the know" have any new & exciting info about the Tuscany LRT extension?

The station itself is coming along nicely by the looks of it, and the official opening date remains "Fall 2014". Electrical is ongoing. It appears that there is a lot of work to be done on the parking lots and landscaping, but that's best saved for summer anyway.

Is there a chance that this will be done early? I realize that there is a lengthy testing phase (Crowfoot seemed to last forever after everything looked done), so I'm not holding my breath. But, selfishly, this will be very handy for me! It will also be nice to have Crowchild fully open with all lanes for the first time in over a decade.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 03:08 PM   #2022
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

New buses are here and they look good.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=294829
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #2023
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really like the City crest on 'em!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #2024
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Does anyone "in the know" have any new & exciting info about the Tuscany LRT extension?

The station itself is coming along nicely by the looks of it, and the official opening date remains "Fall 2014". Electrical is ongoing. It appears that there is a lot of work to be done on the parking lots and landscaping, but that's best saved for summer anyway.

Is there a chance that this will be done early? I realize that there is a lengthy testing phase (Crowfoot seemed to last forever after everything looked done), so I'm not holding my breath. But, selfishly, this will be very handy for me! It will also be nice to have Crowchild fully open with all lanes for the first time in over a decade.
I wouldn't expect it to be open early. Saddletowne station was done and ready to go at around 14 months before it opened.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #2025
diskonect
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I wouldn't expect it to be open early. Saddletowne station was done and ready to go at around 14 months before it opened.
From someone that lived in Saddletown for a whole year before the Station was opened, it was extremely frustrated. I was a 10 minute walk from the actual Station itself.. but had to take a 20 minute bus ride to McKnight Westwinds (literally PASSING the Saddletown Station).

Although the station itself was complete.. the tracks between McKnight and Saddletown were not laid.. nor was the station even complete between the two.

Structurally, the stations themselves are the easiest things to create.. the bulk of the work seems to be laying the track..

Still, I ended up moving away from Saddletown before the station was even opened up.. in my mind it was a great motivator to move to that area.. but boy was I wrong.
diskonect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #2026
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What was with the 25 min delay on the trains downtown this afternoon?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #2027
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What was with the 25 min delay on the trains downtown this afternoon?
The signs at the station said there was a mechanical breakdown at sunny side and trains were all running on the crowfoot track.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #2028
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think it has been discussed recently, but what's the status on the whole GPS thing in trains and buses?

Am I nuts for thinking that it was going to happen sometime in 2013?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #2029
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm told end of 2014, if not sooner (hopefully summer)
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #2030
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, end of 2014.

I also forgot to mention before that the new website and app is expected to launch in Q4 of 2014.

Lots of changes in late 2014/early 2015 with the website, app, realtime bus information, beginning of 4 car train service.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #2031
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Transit advocate wants ‘one voice’ to fast-track new Green Line route in Calgary

By Bryan Weismiller Metro

For years, southeast suburbanite Doug Hayden has banged the drum for LRT service in his transit-starved quadrant of the city.

But Hayden’s calls for a new rail line have been mixed in the clatter of other special interest groups across the city: Other transit advocates, community leaders and business groups.

With his dream rolling ever closer to reality, the McKenzie Towne resident is now looking to create a more unified voice to speeding up mass transit projects.

[...]

In order to do that, Hayden and pal Jeff Binks are hosting the inaugural meeting of the LRTontheGreen group next week.

[...]

The proposed transit route — known as the Green Line — would run from Harvest Hills to the South Health Campus. Exact timelines to complete the 40-kilometre line remain unclear, with many details left to hash out.

[...]

Background
  • The first meeting of the grassroots group — dubbed LRTontheGreen — is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. March 4 at the Thorncliffe Greenview Community Association.
  • City council has allotted $520 million of provincial tax room for a bus-only transitway that would later be able to be converted into a CTrain.
  • Plopping a full LRT on that Green Line route would cost $5 billion, according to current cost projections.
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/955...te-in-calgary/
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #2032
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Some transit news:

4th Street and Nose Creek have been eliminated from consideration for the North Central alighnment - Edmonton Trail and Centre Street are still options. There's also some interesting stuff about potentially running the train on the bottom level of the Centre Street bridge... first I've heard of that.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/12...th-central-lrt

Also, walk score has given us a 43/100 for our transit ranking, good for 9th out of the 10 Canadian cities they looked at. (Thanks, suburbs!)

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/968...nadian-cities/
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #2033
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Some transit news:

4th Street and Nose Creek have been eliminated from consideration for the North Central alighnment - Edmonton Trail and Centre Street are still options. There's also some interesting stuff about potentially running the train on the bottom level of the Centre Street bridge... first I've heard of that.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/03/12...th-central-lrt
There was also an article on the Herald -- however, it talked about the train running on top of the centre street bridge as opposed to under it (although it's unknown whether it could even support the weight). I have a hard time seeing it -- traffic is already backed up with 3 lanes in/out of the core during peak times; they want to reduce that to 1?

The other option would be tunneling under the river with the train emerging after you hit 16 ave north. One concern with that option is obviously the increased cost -- not only for the tunnel but for an underground station in Crescent Heights (according to the article -- I wouldn't even bother putting a station before 16 ave IMO).
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:33 PM   #2034
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
There was also an article on the Herald -- however, it talked about the train running on top of the centre street bridge as opposed to under it (although it's unknown whether it could even support the weight). I have a hard time seeing it -- traffic is already backed up with 3 lanes in/out of the core during peak times; they want to reduce that to 1?

The other option would be tunneling under the river with the train emerging after you hit 16 ave north. One concern with that option is obviously the increased cost -- not only for the tunnel but for an underground station in Crescent Heights (according to the article -- I wouldn't even bother putting a station before 16 ave IMO).
7th/8th Ave is a pretty important spot for a station... you want to reduce spacing when there are hills involved.

Personally, I'm hoping for a Centre Street with a tunnel and stations at 8th and 16th... but I'm also well aware that this is the most expensive option.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #2035
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Personally, I'm hoping for a Centre Street with a tunnel and stations at 8th and 16th... but I'm also well aware that this is the most expensive option.
I am hoping for this as well. Hopefully we can build this right the first time instead of cheaping out and having to deal with an inferior product this time around. We aren't a small city anymore and can't afford to think like one anymore.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #2036
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4th Street and Nose Creek have been eliminated from consideration for the North Central alighnment - Edmonton Trail and Centre Street are still options.
What a huge waste of time even considering them. It doesn't take a room full of eggheads and a multi-year study to see how running the line up Deerfoot was just a stupid (and frankly lazy) idea.

While Edmonton Trail wouldn't be bad second choice (it would personally benefit me the most), I still think if the city wants to do it right, you HAVE to go up Centre St. You'd be hitting so many residential neighborhoods and retail/office hubs along the way. Then south of the river, you could have a subway station at Eau Claire and continue down into the Mission or something.

Yes, it will be expensive, but if you think long term for this city, Calgary just has to find a way. The focus should really be on finding a way to pay for it.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #2037
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Why cant it have it's own bridge above the Bow, then go into the hillside? Isn't that cheaper than going under?
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RW99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #2038
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre St sounds pretty ambitious.

Wouldn't Edmonton Tr. be a better choice? Given that its close proximity to Centre St anyway, and could be routed into the Zoo Station.

Is the grade of Centre St and Edmonton Tr. Going to be problematic at all?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #2039
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Centre St sounds pretty ambitious.

Wouldn't Edmonton Tr. be a better choice? Given that its close proximity to Centre St anyway, and could be routed into the Zoo Station.

Is the grade of Centre St and Edmonton Tr. Going to be problematic at all?
Edmonton Trail is the easiest choice but Centre St is the better and yes, more ambitious one.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #2040
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is ambition a bad thing?

There's only one right answer to the route. It's just a matter of how to make it happen.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings