Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #2021
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I have just bought a new-to-me vehicle, and we pick it up tomorrow with new winter tires on steel wheels with wheel covers. Also very new all-seasons/summers come with it, but unmounted.

I'll obviously need to put the summers on it ASAP, and I would also like to get them on their own rims. I would prefer alloys for my summers to be honest. Can anyone recommend a good place for alloys that won't break the bank? I don't need anything huge (16 x 6.5), fancy, or douchy. Just some budget alloys. I'm not opposed to buying online, but don't mind local either. I'll be calling around, but some recommendations would help steer me in the right direction. Steelies are going to cost me $60-ish anyway - is it realistic to think I could get some budget alloys in the ballpark of $100-120 per wheel?
All three of the sites Ducay mentioned are great! I wanted nice rims for my winters as steel wheels flat out suck and I was able to grab some really nice 18 inch OEM hub centric 18 inch rims from Costco for $132 each.

16 inch wheels in the price range you want shouldn’t be a hard find.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #2022
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have just bought a new-to-me vehicle, and we pick it up tomorrow with new winter tires on steel wheels with wheel covers. Also very new all-seasons/summers come with it, but unmounted.

I'll obviously need to put the summers on it ASAP, and I would also like to get them on their own rims. I would prefer alloys for my summers to be honest. Can anyone recommend a good place for alloys that won't break the bank? I don't need anything huge (16 x 6.5), fancy, or douchy. Just some budget alloys. I'm not opposed to buying online, but don't mind local either. I'll be calling around, but some recommendations would help steer me in the right direction. Steelies are going to cost me $60-ish anyway - is it realistic to think I could get some budget alloys in the ballpark of $100-120 per wheel?
Check Kijiji. I find it is usually pretty easy to find wheels on there. What vehicle is it for? You can look up the wheel specs online (hub bore, bolt pattern, offset) and find other vehicles that have the same specs so that you have even more choices for your search on Kijiji.

I found my last two sets of wheels on Kijiji for a great price. They were factory wheels off a different vehicle but had the same specs so they fit perfectly.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #2023
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all of the suggestions. It is a 2018 Nissan Qashqai (I'll never get used to that name). But a good little manual transmission crossover, which are hard to come by these days. My wife, to her credit, asked for two things: heated seats and manual transmission. She's a keeper.

I'll give Kijiji a try and see what's out there as well. But it does seem like I can get something new if I have to for under $120/wheel, so that's good.

I suppose that my TPMS sensors will be inside my winter tires with steel wheels, and I guess that they can remain there. I know that most people have their TPMS in the summers and try and ignore the light while using their winters, I'll just be reversed. My other vehicles don't have TPMS, but I have seen plenty of talk about it on here. I'm not sure that it is worth forking out for a second set of sensors.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #2024
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

RGMG about winter tires - they pickup screws and nails like a magnet.

I pulled a couple screws out of the winter tires but it's holding pressure. The screws are about a 1/4" longer than the tread block so I'm assuming it didn't get past the steel belt...

Any need to bring this in? I'm leaning on the side of no...
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #2025
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took mine off this weekend.
Figure its safe by now, but probably just jinxed it!
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #2026
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another tire-related gear grinder:

I have a Nissan Rogue and a VW Passat, both have 17" wheels, but they are not interchangeable. I just realized that Japanese cars have the 5x114.3 bolt patterns while European cars are 5x112.

Actually is there a safe way to put my wheels from my Nissan (I like those rims) onto the VW?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #2027
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Another tire-related gear grinder:

I have a Nissan Rogue and a VW Passat, both have 17" wheels, but they are not interchangeable. I just realized that Japanese cars have the 5x114.3 bolt patterns while European cars are 5x112.

Actually is there a safe way to put my wheels from my Nissan (I like those rims) onto the VW?
Some companies make adapters but I wouldn't recommend using them. Remember you also have to pay attention to wheel offsets as a high offset wheel from one vehicle may not clear the brake calipers of another or be too close to the struts.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 02:21 PM   #2028
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Go see Bob at Urban Expressions in the NE. He is the man when it comes to wheels and tires, and I am sure he could find you a quality set for that price.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #2029
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all of the recommendations re: wheels. I did end up going to Urban Expressions in the end for two reasons - I have bought tires from them before and like way they operate, and they have a lot of options in the ballpark of $120. Maybe $5 or $10 more than what I was looking at online, and since I would have to go there and have the tires put on anyway, I figured I would just order through the local guy.

So with that changeover sorted out by the shop (once the wheels arrive), I should get the other cars done, my folks' two cars, my sister's, etc. All the while, of course, slotting it in around the playoff schedule. Regular season games in the fall I'd listen to in the garage and time my changeovers on a game night, but playoffs require the TV, beverages, and complete attention.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #2030
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I just realized that Japanese cars have the 5x114.3 bolt patterns while European cars are 5x112.

Our two Acura's have 5x120 and some Honda's have this as well. However, I can put some BMW rims as an alternative.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #2031
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Help settle a minor disagreement I’m having with my wife. We’re going to Jasper April 25-28 - townsite and JPL only. Should I change from winter tires now or wait until we’re back?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #2032
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you want to be right or do you want to be married?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #2033
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Do you want to be right or do you want to be married?
Both.

That strategy has worked well for me so far and we’re 40 years in.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:16 PM   #2034
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well.....if it was me, I'd probably wait. You never know what's going to happen in the mountains.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 12:19 PM   #2035
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, I'd leave them on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:36 PM   #2036
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, I'd leave them on.
Ok, that’s 2-0.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #2037
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing what can happen in the mountains in April, I'd leave them on as well. Risk/reward isn't really there on this one.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:41 PM   #2038
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm with everyone else. In the city, maybe no problem...but in the mountains, that's one place you do NOT want to be caught with your pants down, so to speak.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #2039
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obvious answer is change them now then change them back for your trip
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #2040
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you taking the Icefields Parkway or the Yellowhead? I might be tempted to switch if taking the Yellowhead. If taking 93 then maybe leave them on.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote