Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2023, 05:51 PM   #6581
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
What is that movie about.
Your standard QAnon fringe conspiracy pizzagate style nut job film. Bring the kids, if they haven’t been abducted by the global elites to harvest their adrenochrome juices that is

Last edited by ResAlien; 07-13-2023 at 06:43 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 05:56 PM   #6582
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Your standard QAnon fringe conspiracy pizzagate style nut job film. Being the kids, if they haven’t been abducted by the global elites to harvest their adrenochrome juices that is

This is exactly the kind of psychotic answer I was hoping for
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:32 PM   #6583
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Anyone catch the new Mission Impossible yet?

Tom Cruise is such a lunatic, scientologist whacko but I have to admit he's damn impressive to be filming those sort of stunts when he was 59 or 60 at the time of production. He's the best in the game at this type of movie, I may have enjoyed it more than the last Bond. Rebecca Ferguson, Venessa Kirby, Hayley Atwell, & Pom Klementieff, just incredible. If you factor in Thandie Newton from the 2nd MI you could have an argument that the MI women top the Bond girls. Would be fun to argue it!

Yeah, it's typical convoluted spy/espionage crap but they kind of go in a modern direction with this one. Liked it quite a bit. 8/10
Mission Impossible has been way ahead of James Bond ever since Ghost Protocol.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 06:43 PM   #6584
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

Did you have thoughts on it or just fishing? Sounds like you’re a fan. Jim Caveziel can be mighty convincing
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 06:52 PM   #6585
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did you have thoughts on it or just fishing? Sounds like you’re a fan. Jim Caveziel can be mighty convincing
haven't seen it. jim caveziel is a nutcase. so is kevin spacey but i still enjoy his work.
Old 07-13-2023, 07:41 PM   #6586
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sound of Freedom was actually filmed in 2018. It was scrapped by Disney for very obvious reason and only recently revived by a right wing media company. And Jim Caviezel is crazier than Cameron and Sorbo combined.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 07:55 PM   #6587
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was the obvious reason?
Old 07-13-2023, 08:04 PM   #6588
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He is Jesus, after all
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:16 PM   #6589
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I recently watched all 6, and MI2 is just a bad movie. Late 90s/early 00s cheesiness but without any of the fun.

5 and 6 stand above the rest and I hope for more of the same with 7.
Something that caught my eye about MI2 last week was Ronald Moore and Brannon Braga (Star Trek duo) doing the screenplay.

The movie is dreadful any way you slice it, Braga being attached made me chuckle as he was pretty hated by the Star Trek community in the late 90s/early 2000s. Moore went on to do Battlestar Galactica, Outlander, For All Mankind, and more.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 08:38 PM   #6590
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

I haven’t really kept up with the MI movies other than seeing everyone say MI2 is terrible. What are the ones worth a watch to catch up or enjoy? If one wanted some summertime popcorn action film fun
Old 07-13-2023, 08:40 PM   #6591
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If you only want the best ones, go straight to Rogue Nation then Fallout.

3 and Ghost Protocol aren’t bad but rogue nation raised the bar.

Might even say just watch 3 thru current.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-13-2023 at 08:43 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 08:51 PM   #6592
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Also, 3 is almost totally standalone. Ghost Protocol has barely any carryover. It’s not until Rogue Nation that it starts to bleed into the next one, which goes thru Fallout and into the current two parter.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:37 PM   #6593
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mission impossible one hasn't aged terribly well, it's a little silly especially the internet parts, but I still think it's a fun movie. Mission impossible 2 might be one of the worst spy movies ever made
Old 07-13-2023, 09:57 PM   #6594
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Then Answer my question yourself next time

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 10:36 PM   #6595
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very disappointed in Asteroid City… I mean the settings, colour pallets, cinematography are all very beautiful… but the deadpan acting is annoying and the story is just boring. The dialogue is just verbal vomit that doesn’t move the story in any way. I know it’s a “Wes Anderson film” I get it… he has a schtick… but it’s worn out in my book, and he doesn’t get a pass because of it. I really wanted to like it, but the story is weak, the acting is atrocious (I’m aware it’s intentional, but it wasn’t necessary.) Visually it would get a 8/10, but it fails everywhere else… 3/10… it was a chore to get through…
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to badradio For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 10:48 PM   #6596
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wes Anderson sucks.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 11:16 PM   #6597
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
Very disappointed in Asteroid City… I mean the settings, colour pallets, cinematography are all very beautiful… but the deadpan acting is annoying and the story is just boring. The dialogue is just verbal vomit that doesn’t move the story in any way. I know it’s a “Wes Anderson film” I get it… he has a schtick… but it’s worn out in my book, and he doesn’t get a pass because of it. I really wanted to like it, but the story is weak, the acting is atrocious (I’m aware it’s intentional, but it wasn’t necessary.) Visually it would get a 8/10, but it fails everywhere else… 3/10… it was a chore to get through…
Yup, fully agree. See my previous review. It was awful, and I don't think I've ever said that about one of his films. I haven't absolutely loved everything he's done, but most of it has been endearing and enjoyable to watch. This last one was god awful. It hurts to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'm as big of a Wes Anderson fan as you get and I thought this was a HUGE miss. A few cute scenes and characters, and yes, production design is great as always, but it was ultimately the most meaningless story he's ever done. Nothing happened, nothing changed, nothing mattered. Nobody was interesting or likable, and I didn't care about anything that happened. It's like he tried to give a 5 minute movie to every character instead of just executing a story about 2 or 3 of them. Extensive plot devices to break the 4th wall that amounted to nothing and just confused the narrative. Not even great score or soundtrack this time.

It's the first time I've ever seen one of his films and simply did not care for it at all. Others have had flaws but were ultimately redeeming, but this one was a hot mess. I hate to say it since he's one of my favorite filmmakers, but this was just a bad film.

It could be intentional on Anderson's part since much of the film discussed the process of writing and creating a show, but it didn't come across clearly that it was intentional. Perhaps the best quote I read in a review came from O'Sullivan of WaPo:
*The gist of the quote was he doesn't know what to say anymore as an artist, hence the senselessness of the film*
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 10:05 AM   #6598
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
What was the obvious reason?
Jim Caviezel is bat #### ####ing crazy and probably bad for your brand and business.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #6599
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some of my right-wing friends have recommended Sound of Freedom to me. Based on what I've heard/read, the movie itself, as a movie, is fine and sheds some light on child trafficking. The conspiracy theory stuff is spouted by Caviezel and Ballard in interviews, but it doesn't come into play in the move. I am a Christian and support anti-child trafficking organizations like International Justice Mission - there's no doubt human trafficking is huge here and around the world, so the subject matter is important.

The criticisms I've heard are that:
1) While based on a true story, it stretches the truth to the benefit of OUR, the organization featured in the rescues.
2) It overemphasizes kidnapping as the means of child trafficking, when in reality the vast majority of child trafficking occurs via grooming by people known to the child/family.
3) OUR's method of posing as someone who wants to purchase a child may actual create demand.
4) OUR's financials show that not as much of the donated money actually goes to rescues as I'd like to see.
5) The end credit scene is a plea that basically says "if you want to help stop child trafficking, buy more tickets to this movie" which seems wrong to me.

I'd be interested in watching the movie. The views of Caviezel and Ballard doesn't deter me in the same way that Tom Cruise's views don't deter me from watching his films.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2023, 10:54 AM   #6600
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Some of my right-wing friends have recommended Sound of Freedom to me. Based on what I've heard/read, the movie itself, as a movie, is fine and sheds some light on child trafficking. The conspiracy theory stuff is spouted by Caviezel and Ballard in interviews, but it doesn't come into play in the move. I am a Christian and support anti-child trafficking organizations like International Justice Mission - there's no doubt human trafficking is huge here and around the world, so the subject matter is important.

The criticisms I've heard are that:
1) While based on a true story, it stretches the truth to the benefit of OUR, the organization featured in the rescues.
2) It overemphasizes kidnapping as the means of child trafficking, when in reality the vast majority of child trafficking occurs via grooming by people known to the child/family.
3) OUR's method of posing as someone who wants to purchase a child may actual create demand.
4) OUR's financials show that not as much of the donated money actually goes to rescues as I'd like to see.
5) The end credit scene is a plea that basically says "if you want to help stop child trafficking, buy more tickets to this movie" which seems wrong to me.

I'd be interested in watching the movie. The views of Caviezel and Ballard doesn't deter me in the same way that Tom Cruise's views don't deter me from watching his films.
Speaking of OUR, now all the weirdos are throwing donations at The Spear Fund which has literally no specifics about how it combats kidnapping/trafficking but is using it's association with the movie to drive donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote