Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2023, 12:50 AM   #5581
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Bullet Train. Felt like it could have been really good but it just wasn’t. The story wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t overly exciting either. The direction and cinematography was great, though.

5/10 for me.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #5582
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Watched a Clint Eastwood classic Every Which Way But Loose. The story of Philo Beddo and his ape Clyde. I give it an 8ot if 10 for pure entertainment value.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:20 PM   #5583
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Watched Bullet Train. Felt like it could have been really good but it just wasn’t. The story wasn’t terrible, but it wasn’t overly exciting either. The direction and cinematography was great, though.

5/10 for me.
That's just cause you're a diesel
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 12:42 PM   #5584
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Emily the Criminal is a decent little film on Netflix Suspenseful, well acted and a little bit of social commentary.

I'm turning into a big fan of Aubrey Plaza.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #5585
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Bullet Train, wasn't anything groundbreaking but was a fun action movie that was a throwback to 90s action films that don't really get made anymore.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #5586
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I liked Bullet Train, wasn't anything groundbreaking but was a fun action movie that was a throwback to 90s action films that don't really get made anymore.
I agree. It probably could have been 20 minutes shorter but it was still pretty fun.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2023, 04:21 PM   #5587
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Ambulance is terrible. Ridiculous premise, stupid plot, cringe-worthy dialogue, and Gyllenhaal's worst performance that I've ever seen. I tried my best to power through but turned it off an hour in, which was far more time than I should have committed.

Reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are overall shockingly positive.
I like dumb silly movies, but Michael Bay isn't my kind of dumb. Same with Roland Emmerich (all the disaster movies), just not my kind of dumb. Ambulance gave me a mind ache. Not a headache, it somehow hurt the thinking part of my brain. It's like there is almost an amazing action movie in there but terrible execution.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:56 PM   #5588
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't reviewed a movie in a while. Here are a bunch from 2022:

Beavis and Butt-head Do the Universe: Surprisingly hilarious. Not going to stir much intellectual thought but delivers a fun ride with lots of laughs and nostalgia. Mike Judge does a great job balancing this nostalgia with a modernization of the story in a way that other reboot filmmakers should learn from. 8/10

Enola Holmes 2: An acceptable sequel in the Millie Bobby Brown detective series providing an interesting mystery. The biggest draw is Henry Cavill returning as Sherlock in an expanded role that could almost be called a co-star. Some tonal issues going from silly to serious and sometimes turning into an action movie. Also hated how they developed Enola as being smart and a good fighter yet we have to keep seeing flashbacks of how she learned to be smart and a good fighter. 7/10

Jurassic World Dominion: What a mess. Not at all a fan of the direction Colin Trevorrow has taken this series. Felt like a mash up of a sequel to Fallen Kingdom that I had no interest in with a 29 year later sequel to the original Jurassic Park that I was mildly interested in. At times didn't even feel like a Jurassic movie, instead more of a generic Fast and Furious style action movie but the bad guy had dinos as disposable henchmen. At other times felt like a comedic parody of a Jurassic Park movie and had me laughing out loud. Wish they leaned more into the parody with only Goldblum seeming to figure it out. Redeeming features were the dumb ending at least gave a few cool dinosaur moments and can't complain about Sam Neill. A stupid movie that I feel stupider for watching. 3/10

The Northman: I'm a big fan of Robert Eggers films but hate to say this could have used a little less of his influence. There is an excellent hero's journey revenge story here that gets sidetracked at times by too much weirdness exploring the mythical side. Would have liked to see more action which was well done in small doses. An otherwise brilliant movie. Great acting and sound but the cinematography is the best part as this is just gorgeous to look at. 9/10

Scream: A reboot/sequel that is an okay entry to the slasher series. There are a few good twists and turns with a modernization of the meta references but this ultimately plays it safe with a familiar story. Falls into the trap that just because your characters make references to bad reboots that rely on nostalgia it doesn't excuse you for having the same problems with an over reliance on nostalgia. 6/10

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent: An original and silly tribute to Nicholas Cage films and the art of film making that put a smile on my face. The best part is Cage, playing himself, acting against Pedro Pascal, playing a Cage super fan with a twist. Shifts from a character study to over the top action which is a bit jarring but works adequately within the story. 8/10
Old 01-02-2023, 06:58 PM   #5589
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Emily the Criminal is a decent little film on Netflix Suspenseful, well acted and a little bit of social commentary.

I'm turning into a big fan of Aubrey Plaza.
If you haven't already, watch "Black Bear", it's my favorite thing she's done, also credited as a producer. Great movie.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #5590
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't a fan of Glass Onion - having liked the first one.

I found Glass Onion was too predictable and the murderer too easy to sus out. It was a little too over the top and the characters were too much.

I recently watched Triangle of Sadness and really enjoyed it. It wasn't as funny as the Menu but the story and social commentary was far better
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #5591
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also preferred Knives Out to Glass Onion. KO feels a light tighter to me.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 09:57 AM   #5592
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knives out was great but to have the main suspect vomit every time she lies was pretty pathetic.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #5593
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I wasn't a fan of Glass Onion - having liked the first one.

I found Glass Onion was too predictable and the murderer too easy to sus out. It was a little too over the top and the characters were too much.
agreed. entertaining enough, but meh.
maybe if they did some editing and took 30 minutes off the run time, it would have been better.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:06 AM   #5594
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep - when you're like 50 mins into a murder mystery movie and no one has been murdered yet, it's time to hit the editing table a little harder.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:25 AM   #5595
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bad Guys is a fun little movie. It's just clever enough for adults to stay interested, but you can tell its main goal was to appeal to kids. The voice acting was damn solid for what seems like an afterthought film (Rockwell and Beetz especially, and imagining Marc Maron doing his lines in a booth somewhere was entertaining). Lots of little nods to other heist/crime films, including the longest singular animated take in a Dreamworks movie, referencing Pulp Fiction.

The big draw was the animation style, which was entirely captivating. You could tell it borrowed from Into the Spider-Verse and tried to innovate in its own way. Happy to see more movies are trying to experiment with their animation ala Spider-Man and The Mitchells Vs. The Machines.

You'll likely be intrigued and chuckle a bit, but your kids will probably love The Bad Guys. Available on Crave at the moment.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:39 AM   #5596
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's already been some good takes on these ones, but my thoughts:

Banshees of Inisherin: I can recognize this as a thoughtful and well-made movie but it wasn't my cup of tea. I think the allegory it was trying to execute was pretty heavy-handed and detracted from character development (although they both go hand in hand so I dunno). Kerry Condon stole every scene she was in.

Glass Onion: I had fun watching this but agree with others that the mystery was pretty obvious (compared to the first one). Daniel Craig is hilarious.

Barbarian: Was looking forward to this based on online reviews but I hated it. Again, it was trying to connect social commentary with the characters but was pretty heavy-handed... although in this case it made sense with character development. Justin Long was very smart casting.

Horror is so hard to do because you're trying to put people into horrific and illogical situations while having them do logical things to get there. So in the case of Barbarian, you have people only doing illogical and stupid things to get into trouble. Along with poor pacing and editing, this was a huge miss for me.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 10:48 AM   #5597
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One of the best and worst things I've done is get into this podcast. I only listen to the episodes covering movies I like but the thing is after listening you can't help but watch the movie again.

I've recently plowed through Major League, Bull Durham, War Games, The Running Man, Big Trouble in Little China, Willow, Poltergeist, Innerspace and Crocodile Dundee.

https://all-80s-movies-podcast.captivate.fm/
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:05 PM   #5598
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Sorcerer 1977 for the first time last night.

What a fantastic movie. It's about 4 men who have fled to a remote South American town to escape their pasts. Life in the town isn't what they expected so they take an extremely dangerous job to transport dynamite that is leaking unstable nitroglycerin through the jungle.

The movie takes it's time in setting up the characters stories and the reason for this highly dangerous mission. The second half is basically a Top Gear special but with no humor, only tension and brutality.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:34 PM   #5599
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
There's already been some good takes on these ones, but my thoughts:

Banshees of Inisherin: I can recognize this as a thoughtful and well-made movie but it wasn't my cup of tea. I think the allegory it was trying to execute was pretty heavy-handed and detracted from character development (although they both go hand in hand so I dunno). Kerry Condon stole every scene she was in.

Glass Onion: I had fun watching this but agree with others that the mystery was pretty obvious (compared to the first one). Daniel Craig is hilarious.

Barbarian: Was looking forward to this based on online reviews but I hated it. Again, it was trying to connect social commentary with the characters but was pretty heavy-handed... although in this case it made sense with character development. Justin Long was very smart casting.

Horror is so hard to do because you're trying to put people into horrific and illogical situations while having them do logical things to get there. So in the case of Barbarian, you have people only doing illogical and stupid things to get into trouble. Along with poor pacing and editing, this was a huge miss for me.

I really think Barbarian is a victim of its own reputation.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2023, 03:32 PM   #5600
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My partner had a multi-day migraine over the holidays, so I had a lot of spare evenings after my kids were down. I did minimum two movies a night and watched Drive (not my first viewing; I think I've watched it 3 times. Best soundtrack!), Donnie Darko, Ford vs. Ferrari, Whiplash, Parasite, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (again, watched multiple times), Glass Onion, and Straight Outta Compton.

Enjoyed all of them and would recommend any of them.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post: