Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #121
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah my comment was snippy and unnecessary. I meant more that your example was a great learning example for people who dont get why it's barbaric. You could have learned a lot by understanding the difference between James Holmes and Matthew de Grood.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #122
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah my comment was snippy and unnecessary. I meant more that your example was a great learning example for people who dont get why it's barbaric. You could have learned a lot by understanding the difference between James Holmes and Matthew de Grood.
Just as you could learn a lot by understanding there are many family and friends that'll never be the same because of the deplorable acts of people like these have done, for de Grood to be out walking the streets 5 years later is a kick in the nuts to the family's and friends of his victims.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #123
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Just as you could learn a lot by understanding there are many family and friends that'll never be the same because of the deplorable acts of people like these have done, for de Grood to be out walking the streets 5 years later is a kick in the nuts to the family's and friends of his victims.
Him out walking the streets is really over simplifying the situation. He's likely receiving injections for his schizophrenia that create long lasting effects, and once he does get fully released if he doesn't show up for injections the police could apprehend him to enforce the medication at the hand of doctors. He still has to live with this for the rest of his life - not just the fact that he has schizophrenia but also the knowledge that his disease caused him to murder five people.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:13 PM   #124
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Him out walking the streets is really over simplifying the situation. He's likely receiving injections for his schizophrenia that create long lasting effects, and once he does get fully released if he doesn't show up for injections the police could apprehend him to enforce the medication at the hand of doctors. He still has to live with this for the rest of his life - not just the fact that he has schizophrenia but also the knowledge that his disease caused him to murder five people.
Doesn't begin to compare to the 5 lives he took not to mention the families and friends that will never see them again.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #125
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You seem to continue to blame DeGrood? Do you blame people who get Cancer?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #126
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Did the someone in your life murder people?

The someone in my life killed someone in my family. They didn't "murder", because they were suffering from psychosis and unable to control their actions.

It is not easy to forgive a person who is at the center of a tragedy like this, but you have to understand that they didn't have a choice, and they are a victim of the situation as well.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #127
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You seem to continue to blame DeGrood? Do you blame people who get Cancer?
If the cancer makes them kill people then the answer is yes
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #128
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Old 10-05-2019, 01:02 PM   #129
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You should consider volunteering at clinic that treats people with mental illness. I understand why you feel the way you do, but you could really benefit to see the reality of what happens to people who are ill.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #130
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
What about people who pass out when driving due to diabetic shock or heart attack or epilepsy and kill someone?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #131
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What about people who pass out when driving due to diabetic shock or heart attack or epilepsy and kill someone?
Do you not see the difference between an accident and stabbing or shooting people to death?
Old 10-05-2019, 06:39 PM   #132
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Do you not see the difference between an accident and stabbing or shooting people to death?
I don’t care what caused them to have the “accident”. The fact is, this hypothetical person hit someone with their car and killed them. They should serve life!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 06:42 PM   #133
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I don’t care what caused them to have the “accident”. The fact is, this hypothetical person hit someone with their car and killed them. They should serve life!
What's to stop them from getting in a car and doing it again!? Lock them up!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 06:44 PM   #134
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #135
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Did the someone in your life murder people?
A HS friend tried to kill his mother before he was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #136
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

You simply aren’t educated on this subject and it shows.

If you are so passionate about the subject, I seriously recommend you spend some time gaining some real life experience with people with this disease, and doing some actual research.

Unfortunately, from my experience, people lacking so much education in an area can’t even comprehend how little they know about something to the point they actually believe they have sufficient knowledge to make a pile of silly hot takes as an author of knowledge on the subject.

I get how hard this is for everyone... but man, I really don’t get the feeling you have any idea what you are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #137
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
You simply aren’t educated on this subject and it shows.

If you are so passionate about the subject, I seriously recommend you spend some time gaining some real life experience with people with this disease, and doing some actual research.

Unfortunately, from my experience, people lacking so much education in an area can’t even comprehend how little they know about something to the point they actually believe they have sufficient knowledge to make a pile of silly hot takes as an author of knowledge on the subject.

I get how hard this is for everyone... but man, I really don’t get the feeling you have any idea what you are talking about.

Because you don't share my views on the subject doesn't mean I'm not educated. I most likely have far more real life experience on the subject than you do so how about you stop being a condescending pr***.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:56 AM   #138
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Because you don't share my views on the subject doesn't mean I'm not educated. I most likely have far more real life experience on the subject than you do so how about you stop being a condescending pr***.
Your views on the subject suggest you’re not educated. Having experience unfortunately doesn’t mean someone learned anything from the experiences, and if you have experience as you say (though, that seems to be your go-to defence of any misguided view you have), then there’s an opportunity for you to actually learn valuable lessons from them, instead of paranoia and hate.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #139
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

I’m all good with having differing views, but I happen to not only disagree with your views, but actually find them extremely offensive towards those suffering from schizophrenia.

FWIW, my mother suffers from schizophrenia (and at age 30 I am her legal guardian), and although she’s not dangerous, she hoarded all of her life to the point that she no longer had access to toilets in her house, and deficated in buckets all over her house when she was finally found and brought in. It’s as horrifying as it sounds.

She hoarded and spent so much money that the house she received (paid in full) in her divorce settlement that she ended up putting so many mortgages on it to keep buying stuff to the point she lost most of her equity in it. She fell for every mail scam you can think of, and racked of thousands of dollars in crazy credit card debts that she should have never been able to qualify for. Constantly being taken advantage of.

At one point she owned two dogs, three cats, and 12 birds that crapped and pissed everywhere and were obviously not house trained. They all died way too young.

She was legally allowed to drive up until pretty recently, and was horrifying to watch in action.

She has the belief that my brother was married to a girl named “Macy” (he’s not married), and my father murdered her, and the golden girls, and is being put to death any day now. She also believes she’s a typewriter away from being gainfully employed as a legal assistant.

She also believes that her doctor at the mental hospital was raping her repeatedly and flaunted herself as a “young white girl” that all of the Asian doctors wanted a piece of.

When I cross the street next to her she insists on holding my hands to protect me, as in her mind, I am still a young 5 year old, the time that she still remembers before her schizophrenia infected her. She believes my brother will never get married or attract a female because he doesn’t eat brocolli.

She used to have a machete she kept for protection, and was paranoid that me and other family members were coming to kill her. She believes that we have died and are in fact reincarnated versions of ourselves from hell. This is the paranoid logic that dominates their thinking patterns.

These people are incapable of living in reality. They have no concept of what normal is.

So rather than try to compare their actions on any kind of similar plane to actual cold blooded killers, I actually suggest you educate yourself. You say you have life experience in this, but your complete lack of empathy for these victims does not illustrate that I’m any way to me.

If that’s too condescending for you, well, I should rise above that, but your words have been triggering to read for me, someone that is really close to the situation, and I certainly would be surprised if you have been affected by this as much as I have.

As for DeGrood. He has my sympathy. As do his victims. This is a case of the lack of education in our society about mental illness, and the people around him capable of identifying the clues were unfortunately not fast enough. It’s extremely sad. IMO, as hard as it is to say, I think the victims should be more concerned about trying to find the next de grood, then de grood himself. The statistics show now that he is in the system has a lower chance of reoffending than you or I. Of course they need strict checks and balances on him, because his illness does make him a risk of not properly cared for. But I would like to see more efforts made to educate people in our community how this disease works, and the signs of what to look for. It’s hard when it’s someone close to you, that you want to think the best of. That would be my focus, and the best way to prevent the next unfortunate massacre, by increasing awareness and being able to get at risk people help early on in the process, no different than the best practices of saving cancer victims.... not wait until it’s too late.

Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2019, 04:31 PM   #140
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Your views on the subject suggest you’re not educated. Having experience unfortunately doesn’t mean someone learned anything from the experiences, and if you have experience as you say (though, that seems to be your go-to defence of any misguided view you have), then there’s an opportunity for you to actually learn valuable lessons from them, instead of paranoia and hate.
I'm educated enough to know who should be walking our streets and who shouldn't, I fully understand de Grood was psychotic when he stabbed those kids, lots of mass murderers have a psychotic event before they kill.

Please show me another country on earth that would let someone who stabbed 5 people to death out after 5 years in a hospital or jail...good luck with the search.

Some examples of just how bad our so-called justice system is:

just a partial list of serial child sex offenders set free by the Canadian justice system

Here is just a partial list of the brutal murderers that Canada has set free

My mind is clear on this and can't be changed but I will kneel to the extreme left and leave this thread for good, I hope no one here has to experience our soft justice system first hand