Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2019, 03:26 PM   #1021
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finally got around to installing my ASUS Phoenix RTX 2060. Came from a AMD R370.
Holy Mama! What a difference! Bought It on Black Friday as an early Christmas present.
I just have one question, What took me so long?
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #1022
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post
Finally got around to installing my ASUS Phoenix RTX 2060. Came from a AMD R370.
Holy Mama! What a difference! Bought It on Black Friday as an early Christmas present.
I just have one question, What took me so long?
Now you have to look up a couple tutorials on undervolting the card so you can squeeze more performance out of it AND reduce the temperatures so it doesn't throttle or sound like a jet-engine.

Learning to undervolt my 1080ti was a game-changer.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 02:21 PM   #1023
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

What do you do with a gaming rig that's like 5-6 years old?

Still in great shape and can play most games but obviously too old to sell.

Just take out the SSD and recycle the rest or?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #1024
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

If you just need a new video card, mobo, etc., take those out and try to sell them or recycle them if you don't want to deal with the hassle of selling. No reason to toss the power supply, case, fans, etc., unless they're failing or you want a new aesthetic.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #1025
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

What are the specs? Five years ago is Haswell territory, that's what I'm running and it handles most stuff I throw at it on pretty damned high graphics settings.

If you want to spend the time parting it out, then do that. If not, just sell it to someone on Kijiji for $200.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:08 PM   #1026
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I used to like the Microsoft Surface lineup when I had limited interactions with it, but holy hell after supporting a bunch of Surface laptops and Surface books for the last 2 years in a work environment I'm convinced to never buy another Microsoft hardware product again. First, the Surface docks are absolutely terrible. Wired ethernet will drop out randomly, requiring a full reboot to fix. Displays will drop to a 640x480 resolution after unlocking, requiring a reboot or disconnecting/reconnecting the dock. Sometimes the USB ports stop working for keyboard and mouse, requiring disconnecting/reconnecting. And in 2 instances I've had the docks cause Surface laptops to hard lock after the user locks their screen, requiring them to hold the power button to cold boot it

Then Microsoft released a new driver for the WiFi adapter in all the Surface units that completely broke compatibility with Ubiquiti wireless networks. Had to manually revert the driver on each laptop to an older version and blacklist the update in WSUS to fix it. The Surface Books have their own unique issues, sometimes the screen refuses to undock for tablet mode until a reboot is performed. Other times the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard base disconnects and won't be recognized by Windows until another reboot is done. And all the Surface units still suffer from terrible WiFi even when the drivers are working, able to pick up an IP address but have zero network connectivity until a reboot is done

Thankfully my boss and upper management have agreed that these units are pieces of crap and we'll be swapping to Dell when their warranties are up. They may be decent for home use, but I never want to support another Surface device in a corporate environment again
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2020, 02:16 PM   #1027
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I used to like the Microsoft Surface lineup when I had limited interactions with it, but holy hell after supporting a bunch of Surface laptops and Surface books for the last 2 years in a work environment I'm convinced to never buy another Microsoft hardware product again. First, the Surface docks are absolutely terrible. Wired ethernet will drop out randomly, requiring a full reboot to fix. Displays will drop to a 640x480 resolution after unlocking, requiring a reboot or disconnecting/reconnecting the dock. Sometimes the USB ports stop working for keyboard and mouse, requiring disconnecting/reconnecting. And in 2 instances I've had the docks cause Surface laptops to hard lock after the user locks their screen, requiring them to hold the power button to cold boot it

Then Microsoft released a new driver for the WiFi adapter in all the Surface units that completely broke compatibility with Ubiquiti wireless networks. Had to manually revert the driver on each laptop to an older version and blacklist the update in WSUS to fix it. The Surface Books have their own unique issues, sometimes the screen refuses to undock for tablet mode until a reboot is performed. Other times the Nvidia GPU in the keyboard base disconnects and won't be recognized by Windows until another reboot is done. And all the Surface units still suffer from terrible WiFi even when the drivers are working, able to pick up an IP address but have zero network connectivity until a reboot is done

Thankfully my boss and upper management have agreed that these units are pieces of crap and we'll be swapping to Dell when their warranties are up. They may be decent for home use, but I never want to support another Surface device in a corporate environment again
Ugh. I've worked on both Surface and many iterations of Dell workstations/laptops (including the hilarious XPS 18) over the last decade plus, and I've convinced my Ops D to stop using Dell and source laptops from MSI. Has been a massive gamechanger since we stopped.

Dell has just as many dumb problems as the Surface. Ask em about having to have our entire staff require to learn how to change their NIC settings to Full Duplex on every restart to enable ethernet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:28 PM   #1028
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every manufacturer has their issues.

My work-issued HP Elitebook randomly decides not to wake my second monitor when it gets docked. I've updated the drivers, replaced the docking station, both monitors, both DisplayPort cables (tried using DVI even), and wiped the device to a vanilla Windows 10 install with a fresh drivers. No dice, still randomly decides not to wake one of my monitors.

On the flip side, the one thing that has improved every work device I've ever used (Surface Book, Lenovo X1 Carbon, HP Elitebook) is... flattening it and doing a vanilla Windows 10 install (no corporate image), installing the drivers manually, and not joining it to Active Directory. Enrolling to Intune instead of the internal AD has made the device so much nicer to use, no idiotic Group Policies mucking up basic operations, and installing everything under the sun and pinning the CPU so hard I could fry an egg on the palm-rest.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #1029
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Talk to me about AIO water coolers.

I've had my Fortress FT-02 case (https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=242&area=en) for a very long time, and it's still fine, but I've kinda been thinking of getting something smaller. Gone are the days of needing many drive bays and many expansion slots.

I generally haven't been a fan of water cooling as I like the near zero maintenance of air and never having to worry about water shorting out my PC. And I've always run a near silent PC.. the loudest things in my PC tend to be the spinning disk; when it spins up it's louder than everything else. You can of course do this with huge fans running slowly, which is why the FT02 was perfect.

In investigating possible cases, a number of the ones I like lend themselves to water cooling, and it's been a loooong time since I've really dug into them.

My #1 question is can you get the near-silent operation from AIOs these days that you get with a CPU cooler with a 120 or 140mm fan running nice and slow (I don't mind if it spins up during gaming)?

I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a Lian Li O11 Dynamic, a AIO CPU cooler to match and RGB that you can see from space and end up hating it because it's too loud...
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #1030
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Talk to me about AIO water coolers.

I've had my Fortress FT-02 case (https://www.silverstonetek.com/produ...id=242&area=en) for a very long time, and it's still fine, but I've kinda been thinking of getting something smaller. Gone are the days of needing many drive bays and many expansion slots.

I generally haven't been a fan of water cooling as I like the near zero maintenance of air and never having to worry about water shorting out my PC. And I've always run a near silent PC.. the loudest things in my PC tend to be the spinning disk; when it spins up it's louder than everything else. You can of course do this with huge fans running slowly, which is why the FT02 was perfect.

In investigating possible cases, a number of the ones I like lend themselves to water cooling, and it's been a loooong time since I've really dug into them.

My #1 question is can you get the near-silent operation from AIOs these days that you get with a CPU cooler with a 120 or 140mm fan running nice and slow (I don't mind if it spins up during gaming)?

I'd hate to spend a bunch of money on a Lian Li O11 Dynamic, a AIO CPU cooler to match and RGB that you can see from space and end up hating it because it's too loud...

AIO's are garbage. A quality air cooler will perform better and run quieter

Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #1031
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Noctua NH-D15 cooler for the win. Best damn air-cooler you can get IMHO.

You won't be running one in a small form-factor case as they're quite tall and beefy, and the fans are the color of medical prosthetics, but they're pretty amazing air coolers. And if the fan color bothers you, Noctua make them in their Chromax line now, so you can get them in all black.

I personally swear by the D15. It's allowed me to overclock my Devil's Canyon i7 4790k to 4.6GHz across all cores without breaking a sweat.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #1032
photon

Exp:

Yeah I've got a Noctua cooler now, it's great, but as you say they're pretty big. I guess I could see which cases it would fit in and see if there's something wide enough to fit it but still is smaller than what I've got now that still looks nice.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #1033
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can relate here with photon, in that size reduction is my next aim.
I have an adequate build ( https://valid.x86.fr/ydfxs0 ), yet want to move to one of those small pro gaming cases.

- new small pro case, with its own cooling
- new mobo
- all ssd/NVMe

I suppose the GPU is the only real other constraint with a much smaller form factor.

Thoughts fellas?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #1034
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
AIO's are garbage. A quality air cooler will perform better and run quieter
Not all and no, for example this is a great cooler
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07D3L3YT7/
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #1035
photon

Exp:

This case looks pretty cool:

http://anidees.com/product/ai-crystal-cube-mar-3/
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #1036
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've been looking for a low power video card for a while, I'm not a super gamer and my PC has a 300W power supply without extra hook ups.

I stumbled on the Nvidia Geoforce 1050 TX 4 GB card. It's a low power 4 gb video card that runs on a 300 W powersupply.

I popped it in last night and set it up, and its a great little card in terms of the FPS that I'm getting on my games.

Just thought I would pop in a quick review

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #1037
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

WANT!!!

https://onezero.medium.com/computers...e-f4a6a48ece31

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #1038
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this is the PC hardware thread, but can anyone recommend a good place that sells older, refurbished gaming laptops? I need something to run Zwift that won't break the bank. I intend to connect the laptop to my TV.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #1039
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I know this is the PC hardware thread, but can anyone recommend a good place that sells older, refurbished gaming laptops? I need something to run Zwift that won't break the bank. I intend to connect the laptop to my TV.
I'm not sure where to look for a refurbished gaming laptop, but I have to assume a tablet or Apple TV is still going to be cheaper than any used laptop. You can accomplish the same goal with a tablet if you have a way to cast it to the TV, and you can hook up the Apple TV via HDMI.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:08 AM   #1040
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m screen mirroring with an iPad right now, and it is choppy on the signal. Plus, detail level like shadows are not shown. An Apple TV would fix the choppiness with its direct HDMI connection, but it is strangely limited to only two simultaneous Bluetooth connections.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post: