Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #681
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay so after having time to sleep on it I can now post my thoughts on the film......I absolutely freakin loved it!!

The action scenes, the fight scenes, the CGI was all on point. I thought Mamoa did an amazing job as Aquaman, that role is his now much like Gadot with Wonder Woman or Downey Jr after Iron Man 1. The world building was fantastic, Atlantis looked like it was ripped from the pages, its a loud beautiful movie that deserves to be seen on IMAX. I'm a little shocked that it was cut out of the running for the Oscars for best VFX but what ever. I can however, understand why some critics didn't enjoy it, if you only like independent films like Eight Grade or Disobedience (both excellent films) and don't care for superhero films then this isn't the film for you. However, if you like superhero films or reading superhero comic books then this is the film for you.

I'm so happy this film is doing well with audiences, with critics and at the box office. I think because of the success of this film we will finally get that Flash film and the DCEU is not going to re-boot anytime soon. I'm curious how the rest of the board will enjoy it!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #682
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Glad you enjoyed it, you took a lot of ribbing for supporting that film here over the past while, good for you for sticking to your guns. In the end, you were right, it's been hugely successful already.

A friend of mine describes it as the death of the dark, more sinister or jaded DCEU we've known and the rebirth of what the tone will be going forward. Comparing it to the re work Thor 3 did for the character, a more light hearted 80's action packed adventure.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #683
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks GL, I hope you enjoy it when/if you watch it, and I hope one day we get that proper GL film! I recognize I'm a DC fanboy, but I also really like most of the MCU films as well (15/20 are good-great while 5/20 are bad-average IMO). At the end of the day I want both universes to co-exist like they have in comic books for almost 100 years. Shazam certainly looks like it will be more in line with this tone than MOS and that makes sense to me. I will always love the dark/gritty films from DC like V for Vendetta, Watchmen, BvS and I still think they can be successful. However, this film feels very James Waan and I think the best way forward for DCEU should be director driven. If James Waan wants to give us a crazy fantasy adventure film thats lighter in tone then do it, and if someone wanted to give us a dark/gritty Green Arrow film (think his 80s run and not Arrow) then they should be given that freedom. Don't limit yourself to just one style, and then this blending of styles will make Justice League 2 that much more interesting to viewers much like Avengers.

Here are my rankings from the DCEU films:

1) WW
2) Aquaman
3) BvS
4) MOS
5) JL
6) SS
Old 12-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #684
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
the last time i was super pumped for a movie it was for Episode 1. Holy crap did that ever ruin me.

I even bought the Jar Jar Collectible cup. It went straight into the garbage can by the exit door.
Yeah, ditto. I'm not falling for that again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #685
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Aquaman was good, solid yet unspectacular. The water effects were great and the action was over the top! There was maybe a bit too much action if anything. Near the end it would go from action scene to action scene to yet another action scene! There was barely any time to rest. They would have like two minutes of dialogue and then jump right into the next action set piece.

The audio was also poor, I could barely hear what was said during these scenes. Maybe there was a problem with the theaters audio, but I've never had a problem before; so pretty sure it was the movie. I didn't connect with the characters like in Black Panther for example (the closest comparison I can think of). The acting was really good, I liked Wilson as Ocean Master, just wish they gave him more to work with. Some of the deaging CGI didn't work for me, Defoe in particular.

The storyline was straight-forward, pretty much what you'd expect. I liked Black Manta as he has always been one of my favourite DC villains, but wish they gave him more to work with.
Spoiler!

Also like in Transformers, how exactly does the world not acknowledge the existence of Atlantis? That's laughable to me. There are giant sea monsters and other crazy crap going on yet humanity is unaware of the existence of Atlantis... How's that even possible?

In terms of rankings I'd go.
1. MOS
2. WW
3. Aquaman
4. Batman vs Superman
5. Justice League
6. Suicide Squad

Last edited by trackercowe; 12-21-2018 at 11:14 AM.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #686
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post

Also like in Transformers, how exactly does the world not acknowledge the existence of Atlantis? That's laughable to me. There are giant sea monsters and other crazy crap going on yet humanity is unaware of the existence of Atlantis... How's that even possible?
Haven't seen it yet, but we've only visited very few parts of the deep ocean floor. We have digital maps of most of the ocean's floor, but at very low resolution (only able to see objects several KMs long).

In fact, we much higher resolution maps of the surface of Mars than we do the ocean floor. We've only mapped a fraction of a percent of the ocean floor that would reveal any kind of structure:

http://moocs.southampton.ac.uk/ocean...plored-oceans/

A pretty interesting Ted Talk I was watching on the biodiversity on the ocean floor:

The microbes down there show extreme diversity. They're no more related to eachother than we are to trees.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:07 PM   #687
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the after credits scene:
Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #688
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Regarding the after credits scene:
Spoiler!
That's what I thought too, DCU is still on shaky ground and they're not going to take a directive until they see the box office results of Aquaman and Shazam. If both succeed they'll probably continue on with the current direction. Too bad though as I thought Aquaman didn't do a whole lot in helping build the universe. There was barely even a mention of other characters or past/future happenings within the DCU.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:20 AM   #689
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
The Triumph and Heartbreak Behind 'Batman: Mask of the Phantasm'
Quote:
Mark Hamill, Kevin Conroy and more look back at what happened 25 years ago when the film opened to disappointing numbers but went on to become one of the Dark Knight's most critically acclaimed movies.
On Dec. 25, 1993, it truly was Christmas with the Joker.

That day marked the theatrical release of Warner Bros.’ Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, an animated film with the voice talent and art deco design of the Batman: The Animated Series. It overcame a rushed production, a nearly non-existent marketing campaign and it's director losing her job title midway through to become what's now considered one of The Dark Knight's finest film entries.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...tbreak-1171147
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #690
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
That's what I thought too, DCU is still on shaky ground and they're not going to take a directive until they see the box office results of Aquaman and Shazam. If both succeed they'll probably continue on with the current direction. Too bad though as I thought Aquaman didn't do a whole lot in helping build the universe. There was barely even a mention of other characters or past/future happenings within the DCU.

I think that there is a lot of chaos still happening with the DC movie, with Batman and Superman needing another reboot because of departures, I would think that any Batman, Superman or JL movie are years away and they'll probably focus around Wonder Woman and Aquaman and probably Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn and Joker movies to gauge appetite.

I really don't want to see a Flash movie because I outright disliked the Flash in the last movie and I don't think I could stand two hours of that portrayal as the primary focus of the movie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #691
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought Aquaman was good, solid yet unspectacular. The water effects were great and the action was over the top! There was maybe a bit too much action if anything. Near the end it would go from action scene to action scene to yet another action scene! There was barely any time to rest. They would have like two minutes of dialogue and then jump right into the next action set piece.

The audio was also poor, I could barely hear what was said during these scenes. Maybe there was a problem with the theaters audio, but I've never had a problem before; so pretty sure it was the movie. I didn't connect with the characters like in Black Panther for example (the closest comparison I can think of). The acting was really good, I liked Wilson as Ocean Master, just wish they gave him more to work with. Some of the deaging CGI didn't work for me, Defoe in particular.

The storyline was straight-forward, pretty much what you'd expect. I liked Black Manta as he has always been one of my favourite DC villains, but wish they gave him more to work with.
Spoiler!

In terms of rankings I'd go.
1. MOS
2. WW
3. Aquaman
4. Batman vs Superman
5. Justice League
6. Suicide Squad

Actually curious about this, because I find action sequences to be mostly tedious in these movies. Guardians has a good balance. I've never really read comics, do they have a similar proportion of action to the movies, or do they focus more on story?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 01:09 PM   #692
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

For the hardcore transformers fan.

Full bumblebee tracksuit.

https://ca.puma.com/en/ca/explore/se...x-transformers
Old 12-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #693
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Actually curious about this, because I find action sequences to be mostly tedious in these movies. Guardians has a good balance. I've never really read comics, do they have a similar proportion of action to the movies, or do they focus more on story?
There's such a wide variety of tone and substance in comics that it's hard to really answer this. Superhero comics from the Big Two publishers do tend to focus on a lot of action and punching a lot of the time. But there's always character development and story progression and stuff sprinkled in.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2018, 03:58 PM   #694
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

Why would a Bumblebee tracksuit not have any yellow whatsoever?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:08 AM   #695
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oops. Optimus prime. There’s a yellow bumblebee version too.

Just saw aquaman. First half wasn’t bad. Second half was pure DC. Just a jumbled mess. It was like they forgot the plot to their own movie.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #696
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
There's such a wide variety of tone and substance in comics that it's hard to really answer this. Superhero comics from the Big Two publishers do tend to focus on a lot of action and punching a lot of the time. But there's always character development and story progression and stuff sprinkled in.
The other thing in a comic is 4 pages of fight sequences can be flipped through quickly to get back to the plot and characters so you get to choose how long a flight sequence takes.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #697
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oops. Optimus prime. There’s a yellow bumblebee version too.

Just saw aquaman. First half wasn’t bad. Second half was pure DC. Just a jumbled mess. It was like they forgot the plot to their own movie.
That's interesting, most of the reviews I've read have said the opposite, hated the beginning but loved the end.

With a huge weekend it's now made $480M world wide and should reach $500 today and $700 by New Year's day. Will it top BvS and be the highest grossing film of the DCEU?? Safe to say we should be hearing about a sequel soon.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #698
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

$67.4 million weekend in North America for Aquaman: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

More than triple what Mary Poppins and Bumblebee made.

However, it is, by a wide margin, the lowest domestic opening weekend of any of the DCEU films. Justice League had an almost $94 million opening weekend and all the rest were over $100 million.

Right now, over 85% of its gross has come from overseas, which is ridiculously high. A big part of that is because it opened two weeks ago in China, so it will be interesting to see what that mix is when its run is over.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #699
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's see if it tops Suicide Squad first. BVS I don't think is an attainable goal.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:16 PM   #700
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why is he wearing his pants like an 80 year-old man?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: