Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #6821
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
...I think the biggest regret during our Iggy/Kipper era was that we didn’t prioritize getting a player that could turn Iggy into a perennial 100 point player..
Like not drafting Getzlaf instead of Phaneauf... I know, I know...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 01:48 PM   #6822
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He was their 4th leading scorer, one point behind buff. Look at the contortions here to dismiss the value of adding a ppg two way center.

It's been 15 years since the flames last had that kind of success, let's stop acting like the conference final is no small feat.

Like, seriously, laughing out loud here as you dismiss the value as just being a late first. Lol, he was ok against Nashville I guess, scoring 3 points, 2 goals, including the game winner in getting 7 against the presidents trophy winner.

I guess he was ok....

(LOL).
How was he against Vegas? Scored a goal in their first game (a win) and no points the rest of the series (all losses). But moreover, I'm not diminishing his value for the POs that year. I'm questioning the decision to spend assets that are multi-year in a first rounder and fourth rounder plus a pretty good prospect, for a 2-3 month player that may or may not get you an extra round in the POs.

You don't seem to get this. Was beating Nashville and then losing to Vegas worth it? I'm not sure about that.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #6823
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I view it is that Calgary is in the first year of their window to compete. And they are already almost out of prospects. I think it would be a mistake to mortgage the future even more for this year.

And frankly, I think they are too green playoff-wise to be expected to win it all. I think they need to keep some powder dry for future runs.

I also think they need to remain flexible for future cap management issues.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #6824
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The way I view it is that Calgary is in the first year of their window to compete. And they are already almost out of prospects. I think it would be a mistake to mortgage the future even more for this year.

And frankly, I think they are too green playoff-wise to be expected to win it all. I think they need to keep some powder dry for future runs.

I also think they need to remain flexible for future cap management issues.
I agree with this. If we trade our 1st it needs to be for a long term guy that can fit age-wise with our core and be cap-friendly. Not a lot out there.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:10 PM   #6825
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only pending UFA that I would move my 1st with is Mark Stone. He'd fit in like a glove with Backlund and Tkachuk. Otherwise, keep the pick and use it at the draft to either move up or move down and gain a 2nd or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #6826
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone would be incredible. Tre is a wizard and Ottawa is run by doofuses so hey who knows.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #6827
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Realistically, Treliving will probably dip into the market and add something small. But the thought of adding ppg monsters like a Mark Stone or a Matt Duchene would make the Flames an instant Stanley Cup favorite and then maybe re-sign them in July. If only we could offload Ryan, Neal, Czarnik and Michael Stone’s contracts to at least make it a possibility.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #6828
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Stone would be incredible. Tre is a wizard and Ottawa is run by doofuses so hey who knows.
Thing is with OTT is that they are going to need to hit the cap floor, and without Stone and Duch they are going to have some trouble.

OTT is about the only team(hypothetically speaking) that could take back Neal retained obviously if we pay enough. So heres the question. Would you give up two first rounders, mangiapane and Neal retained to 4.5 for Stone signed long term?

Could set us up for a very long time to be contenders for atleast the next 5 years.

I dont even blink and pull the trigger.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #6829
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Except we'd have to re-sign him and Tkachuk this off-season. Not sure the space is there.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:25 PM   #6830
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone would require some assets, but if Ottawa allowed us to discuss a contract with him, and we could get an extension done, then that is a trade you have to make...

I have always been against trading Bennett to this point, but could we build something around him?

Bennett + Kylington (the next Karlsson )?

That's a pretty good offer for a pending UFA. Too much? Does Frolik have to go the other way to make the salaries work?

Bennett + Frolik + 2nd? Does that get it done?

What about adding Kylington and Borowiecki to that (Borowiecki being our LD depth, and Kylington being another low-cost good young player for them).

Bennett + Frolik + Kylington + 2nd for Stone + Borowiecki

Is Borowiecki too good and we have to take a lesser LD back? We would be taking on about $2M in salary. Who says no?
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #6831
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stone would require some assets, but if Ottawa allowed us to discuss a contract with him, and we could get an extension done, then that is a trade you have to make...

I have always been against trading Bennett to this point, but could we build something around him?

Bennett + Kylington (the next Karlsson )?

That's a pretty good offer for a pending UFA. Too much? Does Frolik have to go the other way to make the salaries work?

Bennett + Frolik + 2nd? Does that get it done?

What about adding Kylington and Borowiecki to that (Borowiecki being our LD depth, and Kylington being another low-cost good young player for them).

Bennett + Frolik + Kylington + 2nd for Stone + Borowiecki

Is Borowiecki too good and we have to take a lesser LD back? We would be taking on about $2M in salary. Who says no?
For a pending UFA that is more than fair. I would hope that we could trade someone else other than Bennett like a Mangiapane. I think he would play well under Ottawa when he could potentially find some middle 6 LW ice time, something that he won't get here with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Dube (I know he is a C too) and Bennett up front.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #6832
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Below are this year's teams that will most likely be sellers, their UFA's, and their UFA's points. It will show us who the most realistic rentals are for the rest of the season and who may be available for the Flames to acquire. I left out useless guys like Brouwer and Witkowski. I did not include the Oilers, because they won't be sellers even though they won't make it.

Detroit
Gustav Nyguist (W) - 46 GP, 37 Pts
Thomas Vanek (W) - 38 GP, 17 Pts
Niklas Kronwall (D) - 43 GP, 13 Pts
Jimmy Howard (G) - 30 GP, 2.79 GAA, 11 W - 12 L, 0.916 Sv%

Ottawa
Mark Stone (W) - 45 GP, 48 Pts
Matt Duchene (C, W) - 37 GP, 42 Pts
Ryan Dzingel (C, W) - 43 GP, 32 Pts
Anders Nilsson (G) - 4 GP, 2.25 GAA, 2W - 2L, .925 Sv%

Philadelphia
Wayne Simmonds (W) - 45 GP, 19 Pts
Michael Raffl - 31 GP, 7 Pts

New Jersey
Marcus Johansson (C, W) - 32 GP, 15 Pts
Brian Boyle (C, F) - 39 GP, 20 Pts
Drew Stafford (W) - 20 GP, 6 Pts
Ben Lovejoy (D) - 41 GP, 5 Pts
Keith Kinkaid (G) - 33 GP, 3.07 GAA, 13 W - 13 L - 6 OTL, 0.899 Sv%

New York Rangers
Kevin Hayes (W) - 39 GP, 33 Pts
Mats Zuccarello (W) - 31 GP, 16 Pts
Adam McQuaid (D) - 21 GP, 3 Pts

Carolina
Justin Williams (W) - 44 GP, 26 Pts
Micheal Ferland (W) - 37 GP, 23 Pts
Jordan Martinook (W) - 44 GP, 12 Pts
Petr Mrazek (G) - 19 GP, 2.66 GAA, 8 W - 9 L - 2 OTL, 0.902 Sv%
Curtis McElhinney (G) - 17 GP, 2.30 GAA, 11 W - 5 L - 1 OTL, 0.921 Sv%

Los Angeles
Carl Hagelin (W) - 24 GP, 5 Pts
Nate Thompson (C) - 45 GP, 5 Pts

Chicago
Marcus Kruger (C) - 39 GP, 7 Pts
Brandon Davidson (D) - 10 GP, 1 Pts
Cam Ward (G) - 19 GP, 3.80 GAA, 7 W - 7 L, 0.889 Sv%

St Louis
Patrick Maroon (W) - 34 GP, 11 Pts
Jay Bouwmeester (D) - 38 GP, 9 Pts
Carl Gunnarsson (D) - 12 GP, 3 Pts

Arizona
Richard Panik (W) - 40 GP, 17 Pts
Jordan Weal (C, W) - 28 GP, 9 Pts

Vancouver
Alexander Edler (D) - 31 GP, 19 Pts
Michael Del Zotto (D) - 23 GP, 4 Pts
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #6833
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane isn't getting you anything.

If Borowiecki is too good (no idea, I don't watch the Sens enough to have an opinion on all their D), replace him with Falk?

The idea being that including Kylington on our side, and a depth LD on their side, sweetens the deal a bit for them, while still leaving us with a 4th LD for the playoffs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #6834
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Thing is with OTT is that they are going to need to hit the cap floor, and without Stone and Duch they are going to have some trouble.

OTT is about the only team(hypothetically speaking) that could take back Neal retained obviously if we pay enough. So heres the question. Would you give up two first rounders, mangiapane and Neal retained to 4.5 for Stone signed long term?

Could set us up for a very long time to be contenders for atleast the next 5 years.

I dont even blink and pull the trigger.
I’d consider it. 2 late 1sts aren’t anything special to me. They’re practically early 2nds. But the Flames will be super tight against the cap and depending on what Tkachuk, Rittich and Bennett will want, Tre might actually have to offload salary just to afford these guys.

Just to afford a Stone or a Duchene, Treliving would probably have to remove every bad contract on this team which would be a monumental task in itself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #6835
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
For a pending UFA that is more than fair. I would hope that we could trade someone else other than Bennett like a Mangiapane. I think he would play well under Ottawa when he could potentially find some middle 6 LW ice time, something that he won't get here with Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Dube (I know he is a C too) and Bennett up front.
The other thing about offering up Bennett in a Stone trade is that, with Stone (and assuming we had him re-signed) our top 6 wingers are:

Gaudreau (25)
Lindholm (24)
Tkachuk (21)
Stone (26)

which is easily the best set of top 6 wingers in the league. There is zero chance of Bennett ever cracking the top 6 with those 4 in front of him. So the cost, from the Flames' perspective, is a 3rd line winger (no matter what Bennett becomes). From the Sens' perspective, he is a potential top 6 winger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #6836
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The other thing about offering up Bennett in a Stone trade is that, with Stone (and assuming we had him re-signed) our top 6 wingers are:

Gaudreau (25)
Lindholm (24)
Tkachuk (21)
Stone (26)

which is easily the best set of top 6 wingers in the league. There is zero chance of Bennett ever cracking the top 6 with those 4 in front of him. So the cost, from the Flames' perspective, is a 3rd line winger (no matter what Bennett becomes). From the Sens' perspective, he is a potential top 6 winger.
From our point of view though he is the guy who moves up anywhere when someone gets injured and also insures that we are not a two line team. When Bennett is on his game he shines, and we could still need someone like him in our line up. I would push hard to move Eatbread or even Dube before I move Bennett.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:25 PM   #6837
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Go big or go home

Neal, Frolik, Bennett, 1st, Valimaki for Stone and Duchene

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Duchene-Stone
Dube-Backlund-Ryan
Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik

/drool

1st and second lines play 20 minutes a game, 3rd and 4th play 10 or so each (Backlund and Ryan more then the rest on spot duties)

Last edited by Phagoof; 01-12-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #6838
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets look at what a bunch of top players have gone for from the past year.

Last deadline Evander Kane went for a prospect, a conditional second (first if resigned) and a 4th. He was the top winger at the deadline wasn't he?

Duchene brought in what was expected to be a late first round, late second round and late third round with a bunch of meh prospects.

Karlsson brought in a first and 2 seconds, again expected to be late.

I think 2 firsts, and former 4th overall cheap but has potential Bennett and enough cap dump to sign him and room for Tkachuk to an extension would absolutely be able to do it.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #6839
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If they're trading are 1st i would rather do it for Bobrovsky. Goaltending wins Cups.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #6840
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Signed stone gives our window for the next 3 years after this more of a lethal threat, and I believe in Rittich or if he ####s the bed this year a Talbot or cheap tandom next year.
A goalie just has to get hot, you need offence firing on all Cylinders
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread