Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #6741
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, the beauty of this being a game played with developing human NHL players and not robots, is that with their current trajectories players like Jankowski and Czarnik are likely to be better players in March and April than they were in October and November.

The playoffs can sometimes neuter perceived chemistry. Maybe the big line can't gain any traction, maybe the 3M line is innefective. Perhaps we see a lineup the likes of

Gaudreau-Monahan-Neal
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Czarnik
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Ryan

(Assuming no trades of course)

The playoffs are a different animal, and going by talent and name recognition, the above lineup weirdly looks like it has a ton of depth and options.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #6742
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Hossa went to the Finals with both the Penguins and Red Wings before settling in Chicago, and very nearly tied the game up for Pittsburgh at the last second.

Iginla and the Penguins went to the conference finals.

We have enough of the Vermette level players; we need another stud.

Whatever the cost, in a battle of wits between Pierre Dorion and Brad Treliving, one guy for sure doesn't have an immunity to iocaine.
I thought someone said WIN a cup. So I cited cases where the big name was acquired an no cup was won.

If the criteria is conference finals, yeah fine. But did, say, Iggy put them there (probably, given his performance) or were they going to make it that far anyway (maybe because Sid/Malkin/Letang/Fleury).
Old 01-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #6743
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I can't believe some of the posts on this board sometimes.

The contortions to now minimize flames God Iginlas contributions to a conference finals appearance. 4th on the team in playoff points.

He had 12 points 15 games. I pay a 1st rounder for that every year. That's the kind of trade I'm talking about hoping the flames make if it's available.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #6744
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The next expansion draft is still two years away. There is no rush to make these decisions today.
The closer you get to that day though, the less leverage you have in trades. Teams know you have to make a move and won't give you maximum value. That's essentially how Vegas was able to extract great value from teams.

A good GM will think multiple steps ahead.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #6745
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I can't believe some of the posts on this board sometimes.

The contortions to now minimize flames God Iginlas contributions to a conference finals appearance. 4th on the team in playoff points.

He had 12 points 15 games. I pay a 1st rounder for that every year. That's the kind of trade I'm talking about hoping the flames make if it's available.
Contortions? Read again - I said he probably caused them to make it and specifically cited his performance.

That said - conference finals is your standard for going all in? A first rounder for a guy that never plays for your team again? The point is that rentals like that rarely turn into a Cup win because winning a cup is hard. I'd rather spend assets on something more permanent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #6746
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I thought someone said WIN a cup. So I cited cases where the big name was acquired an no cup was won.

If the criteria is conference finals, yeah fine. But did, say, Iggy put them there (probably, given his performance) or were they going to make it that far anyway (maybe because Sid/Malkin/Letang/Fleury).
There are no guarantees in life. Getting to the final makes it worth the cost.

This is an exceptionally deep rental market. The team will have other playoff runs, but they may not have the chance to add a 27 year old 1st line forward to play on their 2nd line.

I don't want to trade significant assets for just anyone. Stone is an elite player, and he'd be the missing piece of the 2nd line. We may have to play a team with Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns. It'll be easier with Stone than Ferland/Simmonds etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #6747
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
The closer you get to that day though, the less leverage you have in trades. Teams know you have to make a move and won't give you maximum value. That's essentially how Vegas was able to extract great value from teams.

A good GM will think multiple steps ahead.
The Vegas Golden Knights made their first ever trade on 21 June, 2017—a mere four months prior to their first NHL game. We are not remotely close to making ANY decisions about the next expansion draft. No one has any leverage, and won't for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-11-2019, 02:41 PM   #6748
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is an exceptionally deep rental market. The team will have other playoff runs, but they may not have the chance to add a 27 year old 1st line forward to play on their 2nd line.

I don't want to trade significant assets for just anyone. Stone is an elite player, and he'd be the missing piece of the 2nd line. We may have to play a team with Erik Karlsson and Brent Burns. It'll be easier with Stone than Ferland/Simmonds etc.
I don't want Ferland or Simmonds. If the team is spending, I think it should be for a guy they could at least re-sign though.

BTW, I don't know that SJ, Vegas or Nashville are in any worse position than Calgary to add. In fact I think SJ will do just that. I think Treliving will too, but I don't think it's going to be an elite rental player.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #6749
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmonds' skating is now molasses like. He basically now has Neal's footspeed and the rest of his abilities are also on a huge decline.

Steer clear.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #6750
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Stone is the player this team needs to trade for.

He is perfect for the playoffs.

Big, clutch, incredible defensively, excellent offensively. You add a player like that, who is on a similar point pace as Tkachuk, to the second line, and suddenly it makes everything easier for every other line on the team.

Want to match your top d against the Flames top line? Fine. We then put out two 90 point wingers centered by a Selke candidate center.

Top line heavy team? Our second line will completely shut you down and beat you on the score sheet, while our top line feasts on everyone else.

Stone is a player that puts you into the conversation of winning a head to head series against Tampa.

That's the goal. It has to be.

The Flames haven't been this good since the 80's. Literally my lifetime.

So I'm comfortable saying, that this season is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Flames, and it is time to push their chips in.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #6751
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

He is perfect for the playoffs.

Big, clutch, incredible defensively, excellent offensively. You add a player like that, who is on a similar point pace as Tkachuk, to the second line, and suddenly it makes everything easier for every other line on the team.

Want to match your top d against the Flames top line? Fine. We then put out two 90 point wingers centered by a Selke candidate center.

Top line heavy team? Our second line will completely shut you down and beat you on the score sheet, while our top line feasts on everyone else.

Stone is a player that puts you into the conversation of winning a head to head series against Tampa.

That's the goal. It has to be.

The Flames haven't been this good since the 80's. Literally my lifetime.

So I'm comfortable saying, that this season is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the Flames, and it is time to push their chips in.
Nah.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #6752
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just don’t think they should trade significant assets for anyone that we will lose in the summer. If we could trade identical packages for Stone or Schenn I would do the Schenn deal because we have him next year. The Flames lack significant assets. We have a bottom 5 prospect pool (especially if Valimaki/Kylington/Andersson have graduated)

What happens next season. I feel the Flames have opened a window similar to the Jets last tear. They had one of the deepest and strongest prospect pools in the league and made a rental move for Stastny. Thanks to the strength of their prospect pool they could easily make that move. They are back in the mix next year.

While I am not opposed to trading our 1st (because I could easily see Treliving trading Brodie for a 1st+ in the summer) I prefer we do it for someone that helps us more than once. We already are without a 2nd this year and didn’t draft until the 4th round last year.

Some posters in this thread make it seem like this is our only shot. This team still likely has to learn how to win in the playoffs. I prefer we do not trade our 1st, Kylington, Bennett, Dube etc for a couple months of a player. If the Sens will do it for something cheap and help out our cap then sure a 1st and a small plus works (1st+Frolik for example)

Last edited by Vinny01; 01-11-2019 at 03:01 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2019, 02:58 PM   #6753
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I'd be ok with Treliving trading for a big fish, especially if he could put a condition or 2 on the pick(s). Be it for re-signing the player (Stone?), or if we make the finals, etc.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #6754
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope the rumors that this will be a buyers market remains the case and we get someone for substantially less than what the experts are saying the ask is now.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #6755
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we're bringing in a Senator, I'd much rather see Mark Stone than Matt Duchene. Both as a rental and as someone to potentially re sign.
I will be in the minority and disagree. I think Duchene fills a bigger need and can be signed for less money. I love Stone and his game but would rather have Dutch.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #6756
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I will be in the minority and disagree. I think Duchene fills a bigger need and can be signed for less money. I love Stone and his game but would rather have Dutch.
I agree, Duch will be a few million less to sign and I think it would be possible to wiggle him in. No chance we can afford Stones next contract.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM   #6757
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think their will be a lot of players that could be traded for a reasonable price, I also don’t think Mark Stone is one of those players. If he is available most playoff teams will be lining up offers, many of which will be higher than the Flames will be willing to pay imo.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #6758
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, disagreements about getting a rental aside, I do know that if Treliving really wants a player (Hamilton, Hanifin, Lindholm), he will spend what he thinks is good value, including high picks or good players. And if he's iffy, he won't (goalies). So I don't think Treliving spending a first is out of the question - I don't think he places a premium on a late first round pick.

Now he has pretty much no history in getting rentals other than Nick Shore (I suppose Stone counts but he re-signed).
Old 01-11-2019, 04:42 PM   #6759
dfsflamesfan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I wonder if a trade like this would work:
Mark Stone, 2019- 4th Round Pick for Frolik, Mangiapane, Gillies, 2019 - 1st Round Pick & 2020 - 2nd Round Pick (Conditional Pick - Based on PO’s or based on Stone Resigning)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #6760
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post

and it is time to push their chips in.
Flames and Senators have very friendly relations too...

Nick Shore for 2019 7th round pick

Curtis Lazar, Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka, 2017 2nd round pick

Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff
Closed Thread