Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #121
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
NO, think of the immune system as a muscle, even with vaccines it won't get strong without exercise.

Kids need exposure to colds/flu and other viruses, they're getting sick now because they've been locked down and masked for almost 3 years, at some point we need to strengthen the human immune system with exposures.
Sure, if you are happy to just make things up to explain things you don't understand.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:20 PM   #122
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's all in my post on the first page...it's more like an amnesia of your immune system, your immune system has something like a series of pictures of what viruses look like, created from previous encounters or vaccines, so they know what to attack. Covid damages those pictures so the immune system doesn't have a clear picture of what an invading virus looks like, so doesn't mobilize a response.
While it's a narrative that encourages caution, you shouldn't be making that statement like it's an established fact. It's from the tweet thread you posted containing the musings of an assistant professor at U of T hypothesizing the rise in childhood illnesses this fall with covid causing immunity harm because a virus causing immunity harm was observed in measles in 2015. This might be the case, but that entire thread needs to only be taken for what it is. He also acknowledges in that same thread that "Emerging immunological research is beyond my pay grade, frankly."
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:26 PM   #123
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Are you seeing mostly the viral or bacterial type?
Both. Last week i had 4 cases of bacterial conjunctivitis come in.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #124
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont plan to either, but I'm also going back to more stringently mitigating my risk. Not going out as much, not spending a lot of time in large groups or gatherings, etc.

If it does get bad I'd probably support re-instating masking requirements if it comes to that. I didnt hate it that much, but theres no way Smith would pull the trigger on that.
For the most part I've been doing that already, and I think it's a wise strategy that's probably enough for many adults. However, my last trip to the grocery store was enough for me to springboard to DEFCON 2. Coughing and sniffling everywhere, the honk of someone blowing their nose. And it was at like 8am. People just can't be relied upon to stay home when they've got a bug.

No real opinion on snot-brained Smith. I mean snot-nosed kids. Freudian slip.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 02:29 PM   #125
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
For the most part I've been doing that already, and I think it's a wise strategy that's probably enough for many adults. However, my last trip to the grocery store was enough for me to springboard to DEFCON 2. Coughing and sniffling everywhere, the honk of someone blowing their nose. And it was at like 8am. People just can't be relied upon to stay home when they've got a bug.

No real opinion on snot-brained Smith. I mean snot-nosed kids. Freudian slip.
Yeah, the Grocery store is rapidly becoming a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #126
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
While it's a narrative that encourages caution, you shouldn't be making that statement like it's an established fact. It's from the tweet thread you posted containing the musings of an assistant professor at U of T hypothesizing the rise in childhood illnesses this fall with covid causing immunity harm because a virus causing immunity harm was observed in measles in 2015. This might be the case, but that entire thread needs to only be taken for what it is. He also acknowledges in that same thread that "Emerging immunological research is beyond my pay grade, frankly."
It was to provide a way for laypeople to understand what is going on. It sounds like you are trying to downplay the knowledge and experience of an epidemiologist. The tweets I posted from Dr Gilchrest also back it up. You can go "do your own research" if you would like to learn more, but you haven't really posted a counterpoint to what looks to be a good explanation of the data we are seeing.

Here's another article with Dr Furness, who you have denigrated as "musings of an assistant professor at U of T" as opposed to acknowledging his experience.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9272293/i...isinformation/
Old 11-14-2022, 02:38 PM   #127
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
NO, think of the immune system as a muscle, even with vaccines it won't get strong without exercise.

Kids need exposure to colds/flu and other viruses, they're getting sick now because they've been locked down and masked for almost 3 years, at some point we need to strengthen the human immune system with exposures.
Quote:
We should rely on vaccines for those exposures because we can never predict who is going to be susceptible to severe illness, even in early childhood. If we look back before vaccines, children under 4 often succumbed to infections. I don’t think we want to return to that time in history.

Let me just give you one example. There’s a virus called RSV, it’s a respiratory virus. Almost all infants are positive for it by the age of 2. But those who get severe disease are more likely to develop allergic disease and other problems. So this idea that we must become infected with a pathogenic virus to be healthy is not a good one.

Even rhinovirus, which is the common cold, most people recover fine. But there’s a lot of evidence that for somebody who is allergic, rhinovirus exposures make them much worse. In fact, most allergic or asthmatic kids suffer through the winter months when these viruses are more common.
https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2022/is...ypothesis-true

You should really read this whole thing.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #128
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Here are 25 more papers for you to read through, if you need help doing your research.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1588306678814056449

And another thread with support from experts discussing it. I know, I know this stuff doesn't come up much on Western Standard, but then, that's becuase it is based on science.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1589040282318016512
Old 11-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #129
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

We just got over this nasty one floating around. Kids class is half gone, all the sports stuff is decimated.

Wife and I are heading down to Vegas Thursday. Little nervous about any kind of travel right now the way things are going. Hoping we got the worst one out of the way. Have our up to date COVID shot, flu shot etc.

This one was rough, I thought it was worse than when we got COVID. Started with puking, then flu symptoms into cold symptoms for like 10 days.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #130
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The immune system is not a muscle, and it will be fine "without exercise". A strong immune system is why you have allergies or autoimmune diseases. You want a balanced immune system, and you can't "strengthen" it, nor do you want to. Be as healthy as you can to keep your immune system at it's best, but that's all you'll get. Intentionally getting sick isn't really beneficial.

"Dr. Cassel says another common misconception is having a "strong" immune system is what's best for your body.

"You actually don't want your immune system to be stronger, you want it to be balanced," Dr. Cassel says. "Too much of an immune response is just as bad as too little response."

Dr. Cassel says most of the things people take to boost their immune system, such as vitamins or supplements, don't have any effect on your immune response."

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/bo...ne-system.html
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:04 PM   #131
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah that’s not how the immune system works.
It does for kids Dr. Pepsi, there are 2 parts to the immune system.

- innate immune system, This is your child's rapid response system. It is the first to respond when it finds an invader, the innate immune system is inherited.

- acquired immune system, it makes special proteins ( antibodies) to protect the body from a specific invader, these antibodies are developed by cells called B lymphocytes after the body has been exposed to the invader, after exposure, the immune system will recognize the invader and defend against it, the acquired immune system changes during your child's life. Immunizations train your child's immune system to make antibodies to protect them from harmful diseases.

Kids absolutely need exposures, it's not a fluke that children's hospitals are being over run by RSV outbreaks.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #132
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- innate immune system, This is your child's rapid response system. It is the first to respond when it finds an invader, the innate immune system is inherited.

- acquired immune system, it makes special proteins ( antibodies) to protect the body from a specific invader, these antibodies are developed by cells called B lymphocytes after the body has been exposed to the invader, after exposure, the immune system will recognize the invader and defend against it, the acquired immune system changes during your child's life. Immunizations train your child's immune system to make antibodies to protect them from harmful diseases.

Kids absolutely need exposures, it's not a fluke that children's hospitals are being over run by RSV outbreaks.
First off, you should post your sources if you are copy-pasting.
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...-immune-system

Second, you really should go back and read the links I just posted, as you don't seem to have done that.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:11 PM   #133
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not an engineer, architect, nor do you want me anywhere near a hammer, but, that said....does anyone want some advice on how to bridge a 4-lane bridge? Because I have some.

Edit: build a bridge, not bridge a bridge. But nonetheless, just further proof of my qualifications for bridge building.

Last edited by RedHot25; 11-14-2022 at 03:38 PM.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 03:12 PM   #134
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The hospitals aren't being overrun because their immune systems are weak, and are like a muscle, it's because they are all getting sick at once. All those same kids who are being hospitalized right now, would all likely still be hospitalized if there were no pandemic, just not all at the same time.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 03:14 PM   #135
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
I am not an engineer, architect, nor do you want me anywhere near a hammer, but, that said....does anyone want some advice on how to bridge a 4-lane bridge? Because I have some.
You sound like you know what you're talking about. Where do I sign up for your newsletter?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #136
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

How did you read that article, copy and paste it here, and still fail to understand how the immune system works?

It’s not like a muscle that needs exercise (exposures) to be strong. That’s a dumb analogy. If you carried that analogy to it’s natural conclusion, your muscle would eventually get so strong it kills you. Is that what happens? Are your biceps eating your brain? Jury is out.

The only “training” that you’ll see referred to in that article is immunizations, because that’s the closest comparable. It helps the body learn to make antibodies without giving the body the sickness or disease.

You’re right about literally only one thing: RSV outbreaks overrunning hospitals aren’t a fluke. This is because RSV is just one of the things contributing to overrun hospitals, and because the first RSV infection is most often the worst, and more kids are getting their first exposure at the same time. So it isn’t because their “body needs exposures! training! muscles!” it’s that the exposure you’re suggesting kids need is just happening at the same time, which is fairly unique. There aren’t more kids coming down with bad cases of RSV because their immune systems weren’t hitting the gym, it’s the same amount as usual just clumped into a tighter timeframe (as this increase follows a large drop).

This is all according to the Journal of Infectious Diseases, doctors at the Alberta Children’s Hospital, and a handful of doctors and professors out of Ontario when speaking on this topic. But you’re the expert I guess.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 07:52 PM   #137
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post

Edit: build a bridge, not bridge a bridge. But nonetheless, just further proof of my qualifications for bridge building.
I once built a bridge out of popsicle sticks and it went pretty well, I submitted that in order to get my Engineering Degree....strangely I havent heard back yet...and its been quite a while.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:31 AM   #138
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beyond cold/flu/pneumonia, Covid and RSV, conjunctivitis is seemingly going nuts in the city as Knut mentioned. That's not even including a bunch of reports of fifths disease starting to pop up in a bunch of kid aged groups.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:04 AM   #139
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
blah blah blah
You know you could've saved those keystrokes and cited the vast, peer-reviewed, institution of learning;
Spoiler!

Tuition is free, and I've found many scholars that I subscribe to, are aligned with my narrative.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #140
NinePack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Day 6 of covid, has not been great at aĺl, crazy night sweats, bones ache same with joints and muscles, eyeballs and headache, im feeling somewhat better now but coughing a large amount of crap nose is plugged . Still testing positive, 2 shots
NinePack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinePack For This Useful Post: