Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #101
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...648541?cmp=rss

Just curious, anyone got back to wearing masks or have their kids wear them to school?
We haven't stopped, and yes at school for the kids there is still the issue of lunch/gym but better to be protected for most of the day with an N95 regardless.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 10:57 AM   #102
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the huge uptick in cold/flu/RSV this year, I would welcome a bit of a soft mask mandate back.

The problem is hardliners who will scoff and actively disparage people wearing them "masks don't work dummy!!!1 open your eyes to the government control!!!! do your research!!!!"

It's exhausting listening to them.

Hey moron, I'm wearing to try to reduce the spread of all respiratory issues going around right now.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #103
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Just curious, anyone got back to wearing masks or have their kids wear them to school?
No, and don't plan to.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:19 AM   #104
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
No, and don't plan to.
Most shocking reply of the day.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:28 AM   #105
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most shocking reply of the day.
Happy to not disappoint!

This surge in Flu/Covid/RSV this year is expected as it's the first time in a few years we have been living normally and there's many children who never were exposed to many illnesses that they otherwise would have that is increasing the severity of their illnesses.

Feel free to wear whatever protective equipment in public you need to get on with things though and screw any of the 'freedumb crowd' who wants to bully you for doing so.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #106
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I manage my parents' covid stuff and I've already received notifications for their next dose which will be their 5th. Had to go through the old notifications to figure our which dose it is. Had no idea people are on their 5th already.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #107
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just ordered more '95s from Costco on Saturday - begrudgingly. I was rather enjoying not wearing them for the past, I dunno, ~6 months.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #108
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, and don't plan to.
I dont plan to either, but I'm also going back to more stringently mitigating my risk. Not going out as much, not spending a lot of time in large groups or gatherings, etc.

If it does get bad I'd probably support re-instating masking requirements if it comes to that. I didnt hate it that much, but theres no way Smith would pull the trigger on that.

Kids in schools though? I think they should be masked up. Sorry, I know it sucks, but schools are like petri-dishes of disease at the best of times, every little measure helps and since its going through kids like wildfire? Yeah...that seems prudent.

Besides, most of the kids dont seem to mind the masks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 12:16 PM   #109
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happy to not disappoint!

This surge in Flu/Covid/RSV this year is expected as it's the first time in a few years we have been living normally and there's many children who never were exposed to many illnesses that they otherwise would have that is increasing the severity of their illnesses.

Feel free to wear whatever protective equipment in public you need to get on with things though and screw any of the 'freedumb crowd' who wants to bully you for doing so.
That’s half the story the other is Covid could be causing some immune naivety making the body less effective at fighting previously acquired illnesses.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:27 PM   #110
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s half the story the other is Covid could be causing some immune naivety making the body less effective at fighting previously acquired illnesses.
So...this was something I thought too, but after a few conversations and articles I've heard that this isnt technically the case.

However, seeing as how the strains of each type of illness change and mutate our bodies appear to not be as effective because while we may get the flu again, its just not typically the same flu we've had before so our bodies arent as effective at fighting it off because there is still an adaptive process that has to happen.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #111
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is looking, they have a good amount of stock of childrens Motrin (ibuprofen) at the pharmacy in the third floor of Gulf Canada Square. Not cheap though, it’s ringing up at $15.53 a bottle.

They also have infants Tylenol (1-24 months); not sure about price but I’m guessing something similar.

Limit 2 per customer.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:55 PM   #112
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
So...this was something I thought too, but after a few conversations and articles I've heard that this isnt technically the case.

However, seeing as how the strains of each type of illness change and mutate our bodies appear to not be as effective because while we may get the flu again, its just not typically the same flu we've had before so our bodies arent as effective at fighting it off because there is still an adaptive process that has to happen.
It's not a case of "because we masked and isolated our immune systems forgot how to fight illness." As you pointed out part could be that there are different strains around that we haven't encountered yet and so our immune systems don't fight them as effectively (a good reason to get your flu shot this year). But I've also seen a few papers indicating there is some evidence getting Covid may have effects on immune response for a period of time after.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:02 PM   #113
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all in my post on the first page...it's more like an amnesia of your immune system, your immune system has something like a series of pictures of what viruses look like, created from previous encounters or vaccines, so they know what to attack. Covid damages those pictures so the immune system doesn't have a clear picture of what an invading virus looks like, so doesn't mobilize a response.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:03 PM   #114
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
It's not a case of "because we masked and isolated our immune systems forgot how to fight illness." As you pointed out part could be that there are different strains around that we haven't encountered yet and so our immune systems don't fight them as effectively (a good reason to get your flu shot this year). But I've also seen a few papers indicating there is some evidence getting Covid may have effects on immune response for a period of time after.
I've read some of those too, and that makes a good degree of sense as well.

Unfortunately, it appears to be almost random in that it affects each different person differently and for an unknown period of time.

So now people, kids especially it seems, are getting 'run-of-the-mill ill' but because they've had COVID sometime in the relatively recent past something that would be normally rather benign is now kicking their ass.

What a time to be alive. Thanks a ton COVID....ya bastard. Just the gift that keeps on giving.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:17 PM   #115
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll wear masks again since they are back recommending them. Just not a big inconvenience to me.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #116
Knut

Exp:

Pink eye cases are rocketing up right now too. FYI
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:24 PM   #117
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Pink eye cases are rocketing up right now too. FYI
Are you seeing mostly the viral or bacterial type?
Old 11-14-2022, 01:38 PM   #118
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

NO, think of the immune system as a muscle, even with vaccines it won't get strong without exercise.

Kids need exposure to colds/flu and other viruses, they're getting sick now because they've been locked down and masked for almost 3 years, at some point we need to strengthen the human immune system with exposures.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #119
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
NO, think of the immune system as a muscle, even with vaccines it won't get strong without exercise.

Kids need exposure to colds/flu and other viruses, they're getting sick now because they've been locked down and masked for almost 3 years, at some point we need to strengthen the human immune system with exposures.
But there are Doctors specifically saying that this is not the case.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #120
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah that’s not how the immune system works.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: