Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 3 0.80%
Arnold 0 0%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.27%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 113 30.29%
Gillies 132 35.39%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 7 1.88%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 10 2.68%
Jankowski 6 1.61%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 5 1.34%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 13 3.49%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 82 21.98%
Rafikov 1 0.27%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #61
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ferland for me. But Gilles (who is ahead right now) is my number 4. After those 4 it gets really murky, but in a good way. There are 10 guys I would be fine with taking number 5.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #62
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted Gillies as I believe he has the potential to be an elite starting goalie.

Hickey is very much on my radar as well. He's one of the most improved prospects this year league wide.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #63
herashak
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I dont think ferland has the consistency and upside outside of his physical game for me to put him ahead of gillies. I also think guys like klimchuk, ortio and even hickey should be considered better prospects. If klimchuks injuries are just flukes than I think hes tied for 3rd with gillies.
herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #64
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I see a player regressing as a 17 year old, I think of Angelo Esposito who was taken 20th overall and hasn't been heard of since. Kylington has a lot to prove and being taken at 60th, was probably a good gamble but lets not get overexcited about him.

Like others say goalies are another gamble. I like Ortio and Gillies in that order because Ortio has proven a lot more and in their only comparable at the World Juniors, Ortio outshined Gillies.

My pick is still Ferland who I also picked at 2nd. A blossoming power forward, already a difference maker who's shown some scoring touch. What's not to like?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 05:05 PM   #65
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love Ferland's game but he's going to max out as a high end bottom 6 guy, maybe a 20 goal 40 point enforcer. Extremely valuable type of player and very hard to obtain but still a bottom 6 guy.

Gillies and Macdonald have star goalie potential and with Gillies more advanced, I'm going with him.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #66
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
When I see a player regressing as a 17 year old, I think of Angelo Esposito who was taken 20th overall and hasn't been heard of since. Kylington has a lot to prove and being taken at 60th, was probably a good gamble but lets not get overexcited about him.

Like others say goalies are another gamble. I like Ortio and Gillies in that order because Ortio has proven a lot more and in their only comparable at the World Juniors, Ortio outshined Gillies.

My pick is still Ferland who I also picked at 2nd. A blossoming power forward, already a difference maker who's shown some scoring touch. What's not to like?
Do some background reading on both Kylington and Espositio and you'l realize that the Esposito comparison id a terrible one.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #67
Go_Flames4ever
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Aside from Poirier, it doesn't look like our prospect pool have any other top-line potential winger. Even Poirier may top out at 2nd line winger.

Top-end goaltending we may possibly have addressed with both Ortio and Gillies. I picked Ortio as he's progressing nicely and will be graduated this year most likely.

Top-end D we may have in Kylington, Andersson, and Hickey. The possibility of them hitting that ceiling is very slim, but there is still potential for it to happen.

I think we'll need to address the top6 winger positions going forward as Hudler won't be at that level for too long, and Frolik shouldn't be in that spot for the entirety of his contract.
Go_Flames4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:34 PM   #68
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Do some background reading on both Kylington and Espositio and you'l realize that the Esposito comparison id a terrible one.
Yes and no. They do share some things in common
- Both were considered elite skaters
- Esposito suffered from consistency issues. Also something we've heard about Kylington
- There were also concerns about Esposito's attitude - another thing we've heard about Kylington.

The thing is - Esposito may have proved to be a great value selection for the Pens. The problem is the kid went through multiple knee surgeries that took away his greatest asset - his skating.

So absent of that, we don't know if he would, or would not have proved to be an NHL player.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 05:37 PM   #69
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Oh I've done my reading and I'm not saying Kylington is another Esposito but the trend is the same. He's a gamble as shown by where he was drafted.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:00 PM   #70
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland doesn't appear to have high upside
Ortio has been terrible (89.9%)in the NHL and average in the AHL.

Gillies is the easy choice for me.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #71
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The sky is the limit for Ferland: big, fast, tough, soft hands, nose for the net, great attitude...
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #72
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This is the second time you've said this. Instead of taking his starts from years ago into the equation why don't we look at what he's done lately.

Last season in his 6 games in the NHL he was excellent.
His last 2 seasons in the AHL his SV% were 9.912 and .926, and he was easily the team's best player last season.

He's obviously trending upwards. He hasn't been terrible in the NHL - at all.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:23 PM   #73
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you think Ortio has been terrible in the NHL and average in the AHL, then you... weren't paying attention.

Also, the sample size for his NHL save percentage is the size of a pea. Just removing his two most recent games played (one of which was playing injured behind AHLer defensemen like Ramage, Kulak, Engelland, and Wotherspoon against NHLers, and the other of which was in a building the Flames get destroyed in every single time, just ask Hiller or Ramo their success rates in the Honda Center) and his NHL career save percentage jumps to .917 which would place him in the upper echelon of NHL starters. Two games later, neither of which could possibly be considered his fault if you actually watch them, he's down to a "terrible" .899. Hmm

And let me guess, Jon Gillies is better than Carey Price too, since Price's save percentage in his series vs Tampa Bay was only .896

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-05-2015 at 06:27 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #74
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Gillies has future starter written all over him and has future star potential.
You could say the same thing about Ortio. I don't see how Gillies has more chance of being a future star than Ortio. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gillies struggle in his first year pro. It's a huge jump from college.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM   #75
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ferland doesn't appear to have high upside

Gillies is the easy choice for me.
He's been far from terrible in the NHL. Those stats are misleading.

First off, let's not count the last game of the season versus Winnipeg because that was a sh*t show with half an AHL roster. Then there was an Anaheim game... Anaheim is good. Those two games amounted to 9 goals.

In his other four games, he allowed four goals total, including a shutout.

As far as the AHL goes, he was named rookie goalie of the year the season before last... average goalies don't get that award. Plus, his numbers in the AHL are actually considered good in terms of AHL numbers.

Gillies has proven nothing as a pro. I'm sorry, but I'm still of the opinion that Ortio's the better goalie right now.

EDIT - beaten to all these points. I suck.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
He's been far from terrible in the NHL. Those stats are misleading.

First off, let's not count the last game of the season versus Winnipeg because that was a sh*t show with half an AHL roster. Then there was an Anaheim game... Anaheim is good. Those two games amounted to 9 goals.

In his other four games, he allowed four goals total, including a shutout.

As far as the AHL goes, he was named rookie goalie of the year the season before last... average goalies don't get that award. Plus, his numbers in the AHL are actually considered good in terms of AHL numbers.

Gillies has proven nothing as a pro. I'm sorry, but I'm still of the opinion that Ortio's the better goalie right now.

EDIT - beaten to all these points. I suck.
Difficult to argue otherwise.

But some of us think Gillies' potential is enough to tip the scales the other way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 06:56 PM   #77
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
But some of us think Gillies' potential is enough to tip the scales the other way.
some of us think Ortio has 04-07 Kiprusoff potential, except better at interviews.
Do you think Gillies will be even better than that to the extent of tipping the proverbial scales?

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-05-2015 at 07:06 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #78
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup if gillies didn't win this, I would be voting Ortio after Ferland.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #79
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
some of us think Ortio has 04-07 Kiprusoff potential, except better at interviews.
Do you think Gillies will be even better than that to the extent of tipping the proverbial scales?
That's not how it works.

(obviously, anyone who thinks Ortio is the next Kiprusoff would vote Ortio)

Last edited by Enoch Root; 07-05-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #80
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
This is the second time you've said this. Instead of taking his starts from years ago into the equation why don't we look at what he's done lately.

Last season in his 6 games in the NHL he was excellent.
His last 2 seasons in the AHL his SV% were 9.912 and .926, and he was easily the team's best player last season.

He's obviously trending upwards. He hasn't been terrible in the NHL - at all.
How is Ortio obviously trending upwards when his AHL stats were a lot lower this year than last year? His AHL stats went from good to mediocre. The NHL sample size from this year was small (smaller than the previous season).

Leeland Irving: 16 games in the NHL and 90.2%. This was not good enough, so the Flames cut ties with him. He was about the same age as Ortio is now.

Joni Ortio: 15 games in the NHL and 89.9% Leeland Irving was often stated to be among the best on the Abbotsford Heat.

In terms of Jon Gillies, you can look at what he did in the USHL years ago (which was good), or you can look at what he has done in the past 3 years (which is utterly outstanding).

I just think that it's ridiculous to rate Ortio higher than Gillies. Just look at the stats/championship record and it's not even a comparison.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote