Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #101
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright, then I would have got 16 Air Miles, or $1.68. Still worse than incidental Scene points.

(And I ####ed up the math in the first place if it was per-transaction, I would have had 13 Miles ($1.37).)

Last edited by timun; 11-29-2022 at 07:06 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:44 AM   #102
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Went to Safeway yesterday for the Customer Appreciation Day 15% discount, and when receiving my receipt was handed a 'coupon' for 1000 Scene+ points valid only on Feb 7 when spending $20. Nice, right? Well, the catch? It says that on February 7th Customer Appreciation Day will be turning in to 'Scene+ Member Day'. I tried some light Googling but don't see much on this anywhere. Has anyone heard anything? Wondering if the 15% discount on the first Tuesday of the month will continue? And if not, will other grocers get rid of it as well....?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #103
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Went to Safeway yesterday for the Customer Appreciation Day 15% discount, and when receiving my receipt was handed a 'coupon' for 1000 Scene+ points valid only on Feb 7 when spending $20. Nice, right? Well, the catch? It says that on February 7th Customer Appreciation Day will be turning in to 'Scene+ Member Day'. I tried some light Googling but don't see much on this anywhere. Has anyone heard anything? Wondering if the 15% discount on the first Tuesday of the month will continue? And if not, will other grocers get rid of it as well....?
I work for Safeway and while I haven't heard anything official, I can say that the original plan with the Scene switch over was to make 15% Tuesdays limited to Scene members. They however decided to hold off on doing that because of some of the backlash they got from customers about the original switch from Air Miles.

The 15% will probably be limited to Scene members at some point, very possibly by February.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:20 PM   #104
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I did overhear a cashier saying something along the lines of you will need to be a scene member to get the 15% discount in the near future.

My Safeway had a table out to get people signed up again too.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:51 PM   #105
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Rye View Post
I work for Safeway and while I haven't heard anything official, I can say that the original plan with the Scene switch over was to make 15% Tuesdays limited to Scene members. They however decided to hold off on doing that because of some of the backlash they got from customers about the original switch from Air Miles.

The 15% will probably be limited to Scene members at some point, very possibly by February.
no shock. There are probably a lot of people like me who didn't bother to sign up for Scene, that they want to bring into the fold.

I'm not going to bother. I save a lot more by not shopping at Safeway and Sobey's than I would by using a Scene card there.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:29 PM   #106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

February 7th.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 05:17 PM   #107
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am really hating the Scene+ app. Even though I check the "keep me signed in button" it makes me sign in again every time. I have biometrics turned on so I can use my fingerprint, but when I use it the app still asks me to enter my Scene+ number and password again.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #108
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can I get a Scene card without using an app and giving any personal info? I just want cash register discounts. Or does it all go to points and I have to pick where to use them?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:22 PM   #109
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Can I get a Scene card without using an app and giving any personal info? I just want cash register discounts. Or does it all go to points and I have to pick where to use them?
We’ll what would the purpose of that be for Safeway!
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2023, 05:45 PM   #110
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
I am really hating the Scene+ app. Even though I check the "keep me signed in button" it makes me sign in again every time. I have biometrics turned on so I can use my fingerprint, but when I use it the app still asks me to enter my Scene+ number and password again.
Same. And all the other apps that behave in a similar fashion. Makes them essentially useless due to the difficulty in using them. Maybe that's the point.....
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:39 PM   #111
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
Quote:
Weeelll, it's not perfect as yes Safeway still tracks you obviously, but my wife signed up and all we got was our number digitally.

I just loaded (typed manually) that into my google wallet, it's a loyalty card, and that was it. So no app - well I guess google wallet app - open it up, select scene and scans my barcode right off of there for points.

It must be working as I get prompts at self checkouts if I want to redeem points for money off groceries.

Anyway I assume you can do the same thing with an iPhone/Apple.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:02 AM   #112
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You can go into Safeway stores and get a physical card. You still have to sign up online but you can link your card number to your account when you register.

When registering it does ask for personal info like your home address.

Discounts come off at the till with the use of your scene card, it does not cost points to get the discount. There is other deals that allow you to collect a bunch of extra scene points.

Quote:
Weeelll, it's not perfect as yes Safeway still tracks you obviously, but my wife signed up and all we got was our number digitally.
Im just a peon but i don't believe this is accurate. Scene+ is a Scotiabank program, Sobeys has nothing to do with it other than using the rewards program in their stores. The advantange to Sobeys/Safeway with this change over is moving on from the ever shrinking Air Miles program and bringing in a rewards system that has more people using it. The idea is that people who already have Scene cards who dont shop at Safeway will have more reason to come to the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2023, 11:50 AM   #113
chaoticmonk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Im just a peon but i don't believe this is accurate. Scene+ is a Scotiabank program, Sobeys has nothing to do with it other than using the rewards program in their stores. The advantange to Sobeys/Safeway with this change over is moving on from the ever shrinking Air Miles program and bringing in a rewards system that has more people using it. The idea is that people who already have Scene cards who dont shop at Safeway will have more reason to come to the store.
Empire who owns Sobeys/Safeway is a co-owner of Scene+, that's why they replaced the Air Miles program with one they co-own

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/empir...203000556.html
chaoticmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:07 PM   #114
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I used to go out of my way to get groceries on the 1st Tue of the month and actually buy the bonus airmiles items. Got me a flight to New York and flights to Europe with my Dad that took us to Krakow/Prague/Budapest. Now I have Maui booked for this March, all on airmiles.

I've kinda stopped going to Safeway now and delete the Scene emails without even looking.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #115
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Now I have Maui booked for this March, all on airmiles.
How did you manage that? I haven't been able to use my airmiles for flights for a long time now. Since it covers just the base fare, and the base fare's have changed to only being a minor portion, they barely make a dent in the flight. Yet alone the airmiles required stays the same... It wants me to spend 12,000 air miles to save $300 lol.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:25 PM   #116
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticmonk View Post
Empire who owns Sobeys/Safeway is a co-owner of Scene+, that's why they replaced the Air Miles program with one they co-own

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/empir...203000556.html
Ahh yeah that does make sense. That seems pretty on brand for Empire.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:47 PM   #117
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
How did you manage that? I haven't been able to use my airmiles for flights for a long time now. Since it covers just the base fare, and the base fare's have changed to only being a minor portion, they barely make a dent in the flight. Yet alone the airmiles required stays the same... It wants me to spend 12,000 air miles to save $300 lol.
Was originally planning on Australia and was monitoring the miles/fees for quite a while, of course everything started going up. Brisbane went from 12,000 airmiles to 20,000 airmiles within a year and of course the fees/taxes were higher than before.

Started checking Hawaii and found a flight for 2,647 airmiles and $169 for fees/taxes, it's also direct from Calgary to Kahului. US flights just a better deal right now.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #118
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're getting 2.5 cents per point and you're mad about it? Wow. How much do you value these?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #119
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
You're getting 2.5 cents per point and you're mad about it? Wow. How much do you value these?
What? That many airmiles pre-pandemic would typically cover the entire round trip ticket save for maybe $200. I had enough for 3 round trips to Tokyo, now it can't cover one. And it's not because they devalued, but it only covers the base fare and airlines have shifted the cost split from something like 85% base fare and 15% surcharges/fees to 20% base fare and 80% surcharges/fees.

Airmiles are typically worth over 10c each.

Last edited by BlackArcher101; 01-05-2023 at 02:38 PM.
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:39 PM   #120
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What? That many airmiles pre-pandemic would typically cover the entire round trip ticket save for maybe $200. Thanks to airlines shifting most of the cost from base fare into fuel surcharge, now it's not covered.

Airmiles are typically worth over 10c each.
Wow. There's no loyalty currency in the US that's ever been worth that much. You'd really trade me over a dollar for ten?
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote