Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2022, 11:28 AM   #1041
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If they can't track the recycling or impact on the environment for single use plastics, how did they even come up with the need for this policy? If they did make the decision based on some kind of metric, then it should be trackable to see the impact of the policy over a yearly course.
I don't know if you can measure it or can't measure it.

But no plastic straws means no plastic straws in the garbage. I'm not sure why you need a stat to prove it. This is about a maximum of 5% of our plastic waste so it's not going to make a significant difference to overall plastic waste but a little is better than nothing.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #1042
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
both burning and landfills are brutal for the environment. What we should be trying to do is get rid of as much plastic use as possible. Thus the paper straws, amongst other things.
Burning it is a LOT better for the environment than landfills, and we have a massive landfill problem.

Otherwise I agree. Reducing our plastic use is important as well, but it'll take years and years to accomplish that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #1043
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I don't know if you can measure it or can't measure it.

But no plastic straws means no plastic straws in the garbage. I'm not sure why you need a stat to prove it. This is about a maximum of 5% of our plastic waste so it's not going to make a significant difference to overall plastic waste but a little is better than nothing.
We should be measuring our landfills somehow to reduce our overall waste, including our plastic waste.

Instead what we're doing is sending it Africa and getting up on our pedestal to brag to the world how 'green' we are.

Without the media looking into that, most people wouldn't even be aware of how hypocritical our country is when it comes to waste management.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:17 PM   #1044
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
We should be measuring our landfills somehow to reduce our overall waste, including our plastic waste.

Instead what we're doing is sending it Africa and getting up on our pedestal to brag to the world how 'green' we are.

Without the media looking into that, most people wouldn't even be aware of how hypocritical our country is when it comes to waste management.
The media is covering it:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/fifth...ling-1.6410657

https://canadiangeographic.ca/articl...-dirty-secret/

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...ange-that.html

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/sunday/the-...cled-1.5099103

https://www.nationalobserver.com/spe...astics-problem (this is a very left leaning publication)

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...n-crisis-mode/

People just don't particularly care about it... so the government is doing a (small) thing to reduce the waste.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #1045
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if recycling plastics is such a massive problem, and untenable, why do they even bother with the little “recycling triangles with numbers” on the packaging?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #1046
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
So if recycling plastics is such a massive problem, and untenable, why do they even bother with the little “recycling triangles with numbers” on the packaging?
Because the plastic industry wants people to believe it's all recycled.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #1047
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
That is my point.

Had the media not caught on to what is happening, most Canadians would not have a clue about our terrible waste management.
Old 08-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #1048
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is my point.

Had the media not caught on to what is happening, most Canadians would not have a clue about our terrible waste management.
ah... my bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 01:04 PM   #1049
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Our blue bins have so many exemptions it's frustrating as someone who wants to recycle as much as possible.

We can not recycle any of the styrofoam even when it has the triangles, no clamshells of any kind, only household so no oil or window washer containers (this one I kinda understand but I have to find a shop that will recycle them and most don't.

Half my plastic still goes in the garbage.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #1050
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because some types of plastic are recycled fairly easily and well. #1 (PET) and #2 (HDPE) have relatively high rates of recycling in Canada (about 50% overall and even higher if you just look at residential recycling rates). And ~90% of those types of plastic that are collected end up getting recycled.

The two main issues are:

1) Other types of plastics (particularly flexible plastics) have awful recycling rates because they either can't be recycled or recycling them is uneconomical. So only ~10% of flexible plastics are collected for recycling, and only 10% of that ever ends up getting recycled (so 1% of what's produced).

2) The recycling rate of basically any plastic from businesses and institutions is terrible. Residential recycling rates of plastic are about 2.5-3x higher compared to businesses/institutions.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #1051
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I mean it does go beyond plastics as well. We recycle 90%+ of the cardboard we use as a business, but there is zero incentive to do so. And by recycle I mean we take it to recycling. I have no idea if they actually recycle it from there.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:46 PM   #1052
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean it does go beyond plastics as well. We recycle 90%+ of the cardboard we use as a business, but there is zero incentive to do so. And by recycle I mean we take it to recycling. I have no idea if they actually recycle it from there.
I assume the incentive for businesses would be lower tipping fees for cardboard than mixed trash.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:04 PM   #1053
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554914627582136321
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #1054
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Our blue bins have so many exemptions it's frustrating as someone who wants to recycle as much as possible.

We can not recycle any of the styrofoam even when it has the triangles, no clamshells of any kind, only household so no oil or window washer containers (this one I kinda understand but I have to find a shop that will recycle them and most don't.

I immediately thought about why they didn't target styrofoam instead of single use plastics to be banned. It's already known to be problematic and is used on a large scale for retail packaging and food containment.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #1055
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
This was a bit of a weird interview. She spoke early about a lot of things I agree with, and being a proactive partner to our allies. She delved farther to the right (politically) than the Libs, and farther to the left than the Cons. Wading alone in the murk of the center.

A Liberal talking about pipelines being a responsibility of our nation to stabilize the global reach of western values holds a lot more weight for me than a Conservative saying the same thing. Conservatives rail loudly on these subjects like children, but I doubt their followthrough. When a Lib starts talking about supply of oil and LNG to Europe, I know it's through gritted teeth, and might actually see the light of day.

And then I remember that Trudeau is in charge and not Freeland.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #1056
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No wonder Toronto smells like garbage in the summer.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #1057
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post

Calgary accepts clamshells for over a year now. They found a new company that accepts them.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #1058
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
No wonder Toronto smells like garbage in the summer.
….
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2022, 07:06 PM   #1059
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1555335349790019584
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 11:41 PM   #1060
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
I used to support you JT, but now I am Singhing a different tune.