Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Agostino 0 0%
Andersson 3 0.80%
Arnold 0 0%
Billins 0 0%
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 1 0.27%
Culkin 0 0%
Deblouw 0 0%
Elson 0 0%
Ferland 113 30.29%
Gillies 132 35.39%
Gilmour 0 0%
Granlund 7 1.88%
Grant 0 0%
Harrison 0 0%
Hathaway 0 0%
Hickey 10 2.68%
Jankowski 6 1.61%
Kanzig 0 0%
Karnaukhov 0 0%
Klimchuk 5 1.34%
Kulak 0 0%
Kylington 13 3.49%
Mangiapane 0 0%
McDonald 0 0%
Morrison 0 0%
Ollas Mattsson 0 0%
Ortio 82 21.98%
Rafikov 1 0.27%
Sieloff 0 0%
Smith 0 0%
Van Brabant 0 0%
Wolf 0 0%
Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #21
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

My criteria is who I believe who will make the biggest impact a few years down the road, who has the highest potential ceiling. Went with Gillies this round, although there are a lot of options.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #22
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

after Bennett, Ferland is the player I'm most confident will play in the NHL beyond a cup of coffee
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #23
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
For me highest potential.

Round 1 I voted Bennett, obviously
Round 2 I voted Poirier, he has 1st line potential. Size, skill speed, drive. Total Package
Round 3 I voted Oreo, starting goalie
I used the same logic but have Gillies ahead of Ortio right now
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #24
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I like Ferland a lot, but I just can't see him play the way he did in Round 1 of the playoffs for 82 games. Should get a better read on him this season as to what kind of player he'll level off at. Still could be a solid power forward when all is said and done.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #25
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferkland all the way - will be an impact forward.

Ortio isn't even the best goalie on the list.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Looks like once the top 5 is sorted out, that's when things will get interesting.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:04 AM   #27
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been voting for a combination of highest upside and likelihood to reach it. For me Kylington is right around the top for upside, but I'm by no means sold on his likelihood to reach it. For me he'll need a real turnaround this year to crack the top-10 in prospects.

I think it was a great pick for where we were selecting, but the guy plummeted for a reason.
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09 AM   #28
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always have a hard time with this type of voting, as I don't share the hive mind. If I vote for someone I view as the 2nd best prospect... by the time the hive mind finds it's way towards him I no longer will have 3rd, 4th, 5th guy on the ballet

I can vote the 1st round and 5th and no need to bother in between as I really don't see what my vote could count for other then try to sway the next ballet

I do vote regardless but I don't know why I should (meaning I don't see what I add)
Old 07-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #29
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

My voting is on potential, and likelihood of reaching that potential.

Gillies. I was hesitant to vote him in so high the last couple years, but he just keeps playing phenomenal. Big kid, seems to have a great attitude. I truly think he could develop into one of the leagues top 5 goaltenders in the next 4-6 years.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

For those voting Ortio over Gillies, out of curiosity, let's say Ortio was another teams prospect. Would you trade Gillies to that team right now to acquire Ortio?
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 AM   #31
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Went Gillies as I see his potential being #1 goalie.

Choosing between Ferland and Ortio next will be tougher. Oreo then Ferly most likely for me as I think Ferly will max out as a 2nd line powerforward and Ortio could also be a #1 if everything works out.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #32
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
I always have a hard time with this type of voting, as I don't share the hive mind. If I vote for someone I view as the 2nd best prospect... by the time the hive mind finds it's way towards him I no longer will have 3rd, 4th, 5th guy on the ballet

I can vote the 1st round and 5th and no need to bother in between as I really don't see what my vote could count for other then try to sway the next ballet

I do vote regardless but I don't know why I should (meaning I don't see what I add)
I agree. But that's precisely why I word the question as "who is the best prospect left on the list".

You're not voting for Calgary's 3rd best prospect. You're voting for your personal favourite of who remains.

My vote always goes to potential with likelihood built in. I don't vote for swing for the fences prospects with little chance of succeeding, but I also don't vote for fourth line guy that is almost guaranteed to play.

Kylington fell a long ways. He will have to prove something to me to entry my top ten.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #33
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

meant to vote Ferland last round but after a long road trip to Calgary I fell asleep and missed it .. Ferland this round and after watching AC's vid feel it was a good choice!
flame^thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:32 AM   #34
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
For those voting Ortio over Gillies, out of curiosity, let's say Ortio was another teams prospect. Would you trade Gillies to that team right now to acquire Ortio?
It depends on if I was trading for a goalie to play in the NHL right now or for one who should play in the NHL 2-3 years from now.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:33 AM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will admit that my voting criteria priorities are never consistent with these types of polls. For one round, I will put "likelihood of making it" over "ceiling", and then switch it for the next round.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #36
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't vote for Granlund either but I'm surprised with his lack of support so far. One of the best players on HIFK Helsinki as a 19 year old. Great World Juniors. Almost a point per game player in his AHL rookie season. Play adequately as a rookie for the Flames and still only 22 years old.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #37
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I didn't vote for Granlund either but I'm surprised with his lack of support so far. One of the best players on HIFK Helsinki as a 19 year old. Great World Juniors. Almost a point per game player in his AHL rookie season. Play adequately as a rookie for the Flames and still only 22 years old.
Granlund is a solid prospect.

But if the Flames were going to lose one of:

Poirier, Ferland, Gillies, Ortio or Granlund

I would sure as hell hope it was Granlund.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #38
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
It depends on if I was trading for a goalie to play in the NHL right now or for one who should play in the NHL 2-3 years from now.
They're both prospects, only a year or 2 separating their development.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #39
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Ortio has won professional games at the NHL level by standing on his head. Not only has he had two straight strong years at the AHL level, but he nearly single handedly carried them into the playoffs last year. After he got injured, a respectable AHL goaltender in Theissen and a respectable former NCAA goaltender in Carr couldn't even hope to keep the same team afloat.

Gillies has never even played a pro game and is an unknown. He's had a good college career and ended it on a high note, but I also want to point out that the four tournament games the friars won had average scores of 4.75 goals for and 2.5 goals against.. It's not like Gillies was inhuman or didn't get goal scoring support from his skaters. And i also wanna point out that the friars were a tournament invite as they got upset by unranked New Hampshire in the Hockey East tourney, with Gillies losing TWICE in critical overtime games.

I don't puch much stock into college goaltending stats.. Doug Carr had a season posting a .928 in Hockey East and another with a .936 and yet he wasn't even good enough to be Ortio's backup in the AHL. Gillies has been very consistent but until he shows his consistency translates to a higher level he's a crapshoot. Ortio at worst is an NHL backup, Gillies at worst may not make the NHL. Not saying Gillies does not have a higher ceiling - he does due to his four inch height advantage but he has a lower floor to go with it at this point and for a goaltender i would rather be safe than sorry.

That doesn't mean I am predicting Gillies will bust but I am simply not predicting he will be an AHL all star or an NHLer. He's simply a good wild card as is Mason MacDonald. Ortio is not a wild card... He should be in the NHL next season and sink or swim he has a chance to either be a streaky backup, or a Vezina caliber #1 goaltender. The ceiling is high on both Ortio and Gillies but right now the floor on Ortio is much higher.

I also think the love for huge goalies is a bit silly. Some of the best goaltenders in last year's playoffs were guys like Lundqvist, Mrazek, and Holtby, while Chicago made their way through finding holes in 6'5 Rinne, 6'6 Dubnyk, 6'4 Andersen, and 6'7 Bishop. Their starter Crawford was the smaller goalie in every single series. Likewise, I remember Tim Thomas outplaying "Big" goalie Luongo for a Stanley Cup.

I have more confidence in Ortio right now, but I welcome the upside of both Gillies and MacDonald. Just like Gillies' .930 was one of the better save percentages in the Hockey East conference, MacDonald's .906 was actually elite in the QMJHL. But at the end of the day these are still amateur leagues where these goalies are stopping goals against amateurs. A lot easier to inflate one's save percentage when it's a weak Paul Byron type move being made by a player without Paul Byron quickness, rather than dealing with an onslaught of pro snipe. Also a lot easier to deflate one's save percentages on a team with no pro-calibre defensemen at all playing against pro-calibre forwards. The lack of balance in these leagues has to be considered... at least at the AHL and especially NHL level the parity is much higher.

...Hence I think Ortio is our best goalie prospect. He's proven the most at the highest level and still shows elite upside.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 07-05-2015 at 01:49 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #40
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They're both prospects, only a year or 2 separating their development.
Different teams have different needs and may prefer a goalie further along or one who requires more time, depending on their current goaltending depth.

I'm glad we have both players. I expect they'll both be quite good.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote