Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2023, 08:06 PM   #4461
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I found the diverges (and specialized in general) to always be more money for the spec your getting. Bikes are fine, but above market price.

Everyone I know with an Aspero loves it, there were a few minor things that made me go away from it but it’s a bike I would consider if I was buying again right now.

Very happy with my checkpoint, just a little heavier than some others, and available at pretty much any pricepoint. Although if I was buying again I would still consider other options, but not unhappy with it at all.

The Ostro gravel has the reputation of a good race bike, harsher riding, and I thought generally a pretty expensive build. I’d consider it because I’d enjoy racing it, and it would be a good dual purpose road and gravel bike if that is what your after. Not a very relaxed geo though.

The giant revolts have a very good reputation as well, and are generally very good value for the spec. There were some issues with the D fuse seatpost squeaking in some bikes, not sure if that has been fully resolved. It would be another one that I would look hard at if I were buying again.

Out of those I’d probably look at the Aspero, Revolt, and Checkpoint as maybe best fits.
Which Checkpoint do you have? I found the $4700 Diverge Sport doesn't even have the downtube storage or integrated cabling that the $4200 Checkpoint did so the point about Specialized makes sense.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:12 AM   #4462
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, exactly. A similar specced Diverge was significantly more than several other bikes, including the Checkpoint. And it sounds like the $4200 one you looked at is what I have, an SL5.

Integrated cabling, downtube storage, isospeed seatpost, threaded BB, published tire clearance of 45 but can fit bigger, and I wanted 2X gearing which that model has.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:48 PM   #4463
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Newer article on the logging issue for WBC and Moose Mountain, decently balanced perspective. Remains very concerning...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...2026-1.6877109
Old 06-20-2023, 06:58 PM   #4464
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just don’t get it. I’ve signed the petition, and made my feelings known on the Facebook page. Like there had to be better places to log. I’d like to see a pole of actual Bragg Creek residents to see how concerned they are about potential forest fires. Because that’s one of the logging companies reasons for taking the trees. That it would mitigate potential fires, and the old growth is dangerous. Like anyone moving to Bragg would probably want the trees to stay. So it remains as pristine and beautiful as possible. I know there is oil and gas out there already and that’s a big reason why most of the bike trails exist (due to the road access). But logging in Calgary’s main recreational outdoor areas seems greedy AF.
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Salt Water Cowboy #10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 06:44 AM   #4465
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dear god my fingers were cold this morning! Did not realize it was that cold and was not prepared.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:17 AM   #4466
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've worn my winter gloves and compression socks the past 2 days.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:19 PM   #4467
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone else almost get clobbered by an e-bike every day or two out on the pathways? I'm glad more people are out and about but please stop trying to murder me It takes me a lot longer to get back pedaling when you make me slam on my brakes without a motor...
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 12:24 PM   #4468
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Anyone else almost get clobbered by an e-bike every day or two out on the pathways? I'm glad more people are out and about but please stop trying to murder me It takes me a lot longer to get back pedaling when you make me slam on my brakes without a motor...
As a general rule I find most people on the pathways are not looking where they are going and have zero situational awareness.
Let's have a conversation in the middle of the path around a blind corner!!!!
Let's teach our 1 year old to walk on the pathway.
4-6 abreast across the path, don't mind if we do!!!
Old 06-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #4469
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
As a general rule I find most people on the pathways are not looking where they are going and have zero situational awareness.
Let's have a conversation in the middle of the path around a blind corner!!!!
Let's teach our 1 year old to walk on the pathway.
4-6 abreast across the path, don't mind if we do!!!
Oh man, I had to thunderhorn yesterday because a large group was milling about, and I knew the bell would do nothing. Even with that, they all just kind of stood there, spun around, some moved from the left side to the right, others the opposite. As I rode around them on the grass I just said "walk on the right, figure it out already. It's not difficult!"
Old 06-23-2023, 05:11 PM   #4470
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do any of you not wear helmets when you bike?

It seems like close to half the people I see cycling in a day don't wear helmets.

I understand when we're younger, we're worried about looking cool and feeling invincible.
However, many of people I see without helmets are adults.

I dont get it. Even if you never make a mistake and crash on your own, there's no guarantee another cyclist or motorists wont ever smack you. A helmet can save your life or prevent serious long term injury.

It baffles me.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:03 PM   #4471
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn’t bother me. Most of them are cycle commuters. In Europe, pretty much no one does. I never saw a helmet when I was a kid, either. Also doesn’t stop me from wearing mine.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #4472
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the over ear headphones that get me every time. So dumb.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:23 PM   #4473
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Do any of you not wear helmets when you bike?

It seems like close to half the people I see cycling in a day don't wear helmets.

I understand when we're younger, we're worried about looking cool and feeling invincible.
However, many of people I see without helmets are adults.

I dont get it. Even if you never make a mistake and crash on your own, there's no guarantee another cyclist or motorists wont ever smack you. A helmet can save your life or prevent serious long term injury.

It baffles me.
Do you wear a helmet while walking? I think you need to look at per hour of activity risks and divide cycling between leisure cycling and pathway cycling and see if it’s a real think or a perceived thing.

Also there is a study somewhere that found that cars pass helmeted bikers closer than non-helmeted ones.

I wear a helmet while riding mostly out of habit. But I doubt I am meaningfully improving my safety by wearing a helmet on pathways.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #4474
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you wear a helmet while walking? I think you need to look at per hour of activity risks and divide cycling between leisure cycling and pathway cycling and see if it’s a real think or a perceived thing.

Also there is a study somewhere that found that cars pass helmeted bikers closer than non-helmeted ones.

I wear a helmet while riding mostly out of habit. But I doubt I am meaningfully improving my safety by wearing a helmet on pathways.
I had a crash a few weeks ago. My head hit the ground (helmet). Not sure I would have avoided a head injury if I didnt have one on.

No, I don't wear a helmet when I walk. Great question though.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #4475
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

People hitting the ground cycling happens far more frequently than hitting the ground while walking, I would expect the risk related to head injuries from cycling is much higher. I knew a woman who ended up with a life altering brain injury from a fall while casually cycling.

I know there is some debate in Europe about helmet wearing while cycling, with some dubious studies. But part of the issue is the feeling that needing a helmet is a barrier to participation in cycling for some people, partly due to cost.

There may be some legitimacy to those types of issues, but trying to say that wearing a helmet is less safe is flawed IMO.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 01:37 AM   #4476
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has helmet technology really changed a lot in the last little while? I have a helmet from 2013 that has had very limited use and I have never fallen or anything.

No problem grabbing a new one as it's not really a financial issue as opposed to a waste of something that still may have life?

Just curious
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #4477
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I had a crash a few weeks ago. My head hit the ground (helmet). Not sure I would have avoided a head injury if I didnt have one on.

No, I don't wear a helmet when I walk. Great question though.
Why not?
Old 06-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #4478
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
People hitting the ground cycling happens far more frequently than hitting the ground while walking, I would expect the risk related to head injuries from cycling is much higher. I knew a woman who ended up with a life altering brain injury from a fall while casually cycling.

I know there is some debate in Europe about helmet wearing while cycling, with some dubious studies. But part of the issue is the feeling that needing a helmet is a barrier to participation in cycling for some people, partly due to cost.

There may be some legitimacy to those types of issues, but trying to say that wearing a helmet is less safe is flawed IMO.
Note I’m not arguing it’s less safe. I’m suggesting we do other activities of similar order of magnitude risk and consider safety gear to be ridiculous.

https://cyclingincities.spph.ubc.ca/...in-context.pdf

The above link references data that per trip or per km of activity that the fatality rates with current safeguarding behaviour are similar.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/b...et-safety/amp/

But then you look at the effect of bike helmets which is a 34% reduction in fatal accidents. That’s great but in terms of overall risk to your life likely doesn’t move the needle to much. One might wonder why they aren’t more effective, I’d suspect it’s because getting hit by cars tends to kill people and helmets offer some additional protection but not enough to handle those impacts.

Choosing wear to bike will have a bigger affect than choosing to wear a helmet. So if you have a choice to take a slightly longer pathway or protected bike lane that is probably a more meaningful choice than wearing a helmet with around 75% of accidents involving cars.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:09 AM   #4479
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Has helmet technology really changed a lot in the last little while? I have a helmet from 2013 that has had very limited use and I have never fallen or anything.

No problem grabbing a new one as it's not really a financial issue as opposed to a waste of something that still may have life?

Just curious
The plastic wears out from UV exposure so you probably should replace it.

There is new tech for concussion prevention as well (mips, etc)
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:16 PM   #4480
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of needing a helmet, the bike lane on 4th st SE in Inglewood is such a hazard. Wasn’t a cyclist hit on it last week? I was almost creamed yesterday by a vehicle crossing the lane. I was going reasonably slow thankfully and able to brake.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote