Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #2521
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to find a repair stand just to be able to do some minor adjustments on our bikes. Ideally I'd like to find a folding arm that I can just attach to the end of my work bench which I can open up and attach the bikes to when I need to do some work.

Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Nevermind: I have some stuff on Amazon that suits my needs.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-16-2021 at 03:17 PM.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #2522
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer a mobile stand because you can work out in the sun, and washing bikes is so much easier on a stand. Feedback Sports makes great ones available at MEC.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 03:33 PM   #2523
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I prefer a mobile stand because you can work out in the sun, and washing bikes is so much easier on a stand. Feedback Sports makes great ones available at MEC.
I just don't want another tool or item that I have to store in the garage. I know that most stands probably fold up to be pretty minimal in size but I would still need to find a shelf or corner or some place for the stand to live when not in use. With a folding arm on my work bench or even on a wall it is just one less thing to deal with.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #2524
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Bikehand-Mecha...5930877&sr=8-5

i got this thing and it's mega sturdy and small when totally collapsed. big recommend
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #2525
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The day has finally come....Canyon Bikes officially supports shipping and sales to Canada.

Unfortunately availability is limited due to demand.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #2526
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I just don't want another tool or item that I have to store in the garage. I know that most stands probably fold up to be pretty minimal in size but I would still need to find a shelf or corner or some place for the stand to live when not in use. With a folding arm on my work bench or even on a wall it is just one less thing to deal with.
Ya, I get that. The Feedback one folds up pretty compact, and I just hang it from a hook. Either way, they are great and make working on bikes so much more pleasant.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #2527
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The day has finally come....Canyon Bikes officially supports shipping and sales to Canada.

Unfortunately availability is limited due to demand.
The font angle on the down tubes make me irrationally angry.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #2528
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

nice enough to expose a bit of lower-leg skin today on the commute home... that 4-6" bit between the bottom of the knee warmers and the top of the socks!! Sadly the SE wind promised never manifested and instead was a harsher cooler NNE which sucked.

Went through Bowness Park... it was almost totally dry and I was thinking "I got this" but then that far west section that abruptly changes to ice/snow/dirt/grass was a bit nasty (and made my clean gravel bike dirty dagnabbit) and then it was mushy icey surfing from there until the Stoney ped-bridge. At least the ice under the north end of the Stoney bridge is 98.45% gone now (unlike a week ago).

Anyone have any idea what's dry enough to gravel-bike or mtb ride on Nosehill? I'm not interested in plowing through snow/ice/mud/goo.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #2529
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still see snow up there, it's going to be bad on the north side for sure.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:16 AM   #2530
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Buying bike parts is going to be a problem this year. None of the local Calgary shops had, or could even order, a new cassette for my wife's road bike. I finally ended up getting the one she needed out of Cycle Smith in Halifax... And it wasn't oddball stuff, just 11s Shimano.
Ordered a bunch of 11 speed cassettes and chains in the fall, cassettes were more for having a different range 11-30 vs 11-28 and one for trainer. I have one extra chain per bike for this year so I think I'm in a good spot. It's going to be all the parts you normally wouldn't stock up on that will be an issue. Wouldn't want to break a shifter or derailleur this year, could be a nightmare replacing.

Just looked on MEC where I got everything last year and they don't have any 11 speed chains.

Last edited by Icantwhisper; 03-17-2021 at 09:18 AM.
Icantwhisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #2531
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dumb question of the day.

I have a bike with a 700-25 tire.
The inner rim says 700-16mm

I used some 18-23 tubes last year but kept getting flats. Bad luck? Possible. Inspected the inner tire and rim and nothing jumps out. Is the 18-23 tube too skinny and I should be getting a 25 tube?
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #2532
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
nice enough to expose a bit of lower-leg skin today on the commute home... that 4-6" bit between the bottom of the knee warmers and the top of the socks!! Sadly the SE wind promised never manifested and instead was a harsher cooler NNE which sucked.

Went through Bowness Park... it was almost totally dry and I was thinking "I got this" but then that far west section that abruptly changes to ice/snow/dirt/grass was a bit nasty (and made my clean gravel bike dirty dagnabbit) and then it was mushy icey surfing from there until the Stoney ped-bridge. At least the ice under the north end of the Stoney bridge is 98.45% gone now (unlike a week ago).

Anyone have any idea what's dry enough to gravel-bike or mtb ride on Nosehill? I'm not interested in plowing through snow/ice/mud/goo.
Does the path from Tuscany into Bowness Park still have a detour because of the construction of the new bridge over the river? I haven't needed to use that route for a while but will need to soon.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:51 AM   #2533
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Dumb question of the day.

I have a bike with a 700-25 tire.
The inner rim says 700-16mm

I used some 18-23 tubes last year but kept getting flats. Bad luck? Possible. Inspected the inner tire and rim and nothing jumps out. Is the 18-23 tube too skinny and I should be getting a 25 tube?
I've used undersized tubes before... ie 18-23mm tube on a 25 and even 28mm tire. It just stretches the rubber beyond what the manufacturer says is the sweet spot and so it might fail.

As for too many flats... you gotta look at other factors primarily your tire choice and pressure and where and how you ride.
Typically the rim inside width is less than the tire width, although over the past couple of years with all the marginal aero gains and tubeless stuff we are seeing wider rim widths on both road and mtb.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 03-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #2534
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Does the path from Tuscany into Bowness Park still have a detour because of the construction of the new bridge over the river? I haven't needed to use that route for a while but will need to soon.
Yes the bypass on the north end of the Stoney Trail bridge is unavoidable, but also fully paved and has protective barriers and honestly is no issue at all.

On the south side of the bridge you will either head east into Bowness Park (see my last note about the impending mucky nastiness there), or the newer stair climb route over to that neighborhood and Crestmont.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:35 PM   #2535
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yah man I see my first note wasn't specific... yes asking about gravel on the paved road shoulders where I'd be riding with my road bike. That said with my gravel bike I'm happy and able to ride almost anywhere... even Sideshow and 12 Mile Coulee when it's dry enough... which it currently is not (maybe short sections, but not enough to bother). Anyone know how dry Nosehill is right now on the top, south and SW areas?

Kinda gonna answer my own question... but here's a link to more current conditions in Calgary Bowmont/Sideshow area:
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listc...6&pagenum=1510
Old 03-17-2021, 10:07 PM   #2536
Glassplat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I've used undersized tubes before... ie 18-23mm tube on a 25 and even 28mm tire. It just stretches the rubber beyond what the manufacturer says is the sweet spot and so it might fail.

As for too many flats... you gotta look at other factors primarily your tire choice and pressure and where and how you ride.
Typically the rim inside width is less than the tire width, although over the past couple of years with all the marginal aero gains and tubeless stuff we are seeing wider rim widths on both road and mtb.
What brand of tubes are you using....I ask because MEC tubes were getting slaughtered on their reviews for being garbage. Personal experience confirms this. I switched to Continental tubes about 4 years ago and have had no out of the ordinary problems.
Glassplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #2537
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassplat View Post
What brand of tubes are you using....I ask because MEC tubes were getting slaughtered on their reviews for being garbage. Personal experience confirms this. I switched to Continental tubes about 4 years ago and have had no out of the ordinary problems.
Same experience. The MEC tubes 3-4 years ago for both mtb and road were junk. What really pissed me off was when failed to even inflate the first time since the stem wasn’t even fully attached. So I’ve generally fine with Conti tubes or whatever Bow Cycle has. That said I’m half tubeless across my bikes plus rarely get flats plus reuse tubes so get a lot of life from them. That said using a larger size rated tube in a smaller size tire stresses the rubber less and so you get longer life IMO. But a nail or thorn or sharp twig or Rock can still flat ya.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #2538
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Im hoping someone smarter than me with bikes can answer this for me,

I've taken out a bike that's been in windowed storage for over 12 years so the lady can ride with me too. It's only been ridden for a dozen times and it looks practically brand new, However with a bike that's been sitting in storage for as long as 12 years, is it safe to ride it? Just thinking about the rubber on the tires, the rust on brake/shifter cables and possible rust on the front suspension. it has been exposed to sun and temperature changes during those years

thanks
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:20 PM   #2539
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would change tires and tubes, and lube the drive train.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #2540
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Im hoping someone smarter than me with bikes can answer this for me,
I've taken out a bike that's been in windowed storage for over 12 years so the lady can ride with me too. It's only been ridden for a dozen times and it looks practically brand new, However with a bike that's been sitting in storage for as long as 12 years, is it safe to ride it? Just thinking about the rubber on the tires, the rust on brake/shifter cables and possible rust on the front suspension. it has been exposed to sun and temperature changes during those years
thanks
No straight answer... it depends.
DEFINITELY it needs a look over. All things that need lubed done. brakes and shifters checked, and maybe also lubed with a super fine oil. Most likely failure points are the 1) tubes, then 2) tires so pump em up. check for tire cracks and seams coming apart, a short test ride, and go from there. I've seen some old bikes have no problem and others mucho problemo