Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #2501
alexle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Hold on - does this mean all of hwy 1A up to lake louise?
East of Castle Junction. Also the Minnewanka Loop Road will be closed to cars on Weekdays from May 1-20

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...te-roadcycling
Old 03-12-2021, 06:52 PM   #2502
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

From castle junction to Lake Louise is still a great ride....with the east section closed, it still has very little traffic, and good shoulders all the way.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:18 PM   #2503
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
From castle junction to Lake Louise is still a great ride....with the east section closed, it still has very little traffic, and good shoulders all the way.
And some of best new asphalt I've ridden in a while. Hopefully the winter wasn't too harsh on it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2021, 08:54 AM   #2504
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took the gravel grinder out for a spin yesterday and still lots of melt making the pathway wet. My feet were soaked and I wished i had booties or plastic bags.

Took the SE pathway hoping to get to Heatherglen golf course; however, there is still a pretty long snow packed section as you get closer to 114, so I gave up.

Seems we still need another good week of warm weather to really open things up.
Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 PM   #2505
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Took the gravel grinder out for a spin yesterday and still lots of melt making the pathway wet. My feet were soaked and I wished i had booties or plastic bags.

Took the SE pathway hoping to get to Heatherglen golf course; however, there is still a pretty long snow packed section as you get closer to 114, so I gave up.

Seems we still need another good week of warm weather to really open things up.
Nosecreek path heading north from Memorial is all good, although wet in the afts and a few skating rinks in the morning. Ditto for heading west on the pathways to Edworthy and beyond including up through Silver Springs, Scenic Acres, Tuscany. Top end of path system by Royal Oak is a real cluster ##### though with other construction, mud, and poorly managed by the contractors. Dagnabbit also lost my @$$guard fender on my commute (this one essentially squeezes between your seat rails and stays in place by compression/resistance) on Friday and arrived home with a soaked rear.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 09:29 PM   #2506
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I spent a good chunk of the morning putting some fancy oil slick bolts on my mtn bike and installing volume spacers in the suspension. I then washed my gravel bike. Think I wil hold off trying to ride for another week.

Maybe spend next weekend on some type of out of town gravel ride.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:36 PM   #2507
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Already done the oil slick look on my gravel bike... but my oil-slick top cap never came. sigh... Still have to put my bar tape on though.
Gravel bikes... will get muddy silty and gross pretty quickly. I can see them eating drive trains faster than my mtb or road actually. Just gotta remember that fender/splash guard and just put up with getting dirty and the cleanup. After all, you bought it to ride didn't you?
Old 03-15-2021, 12:16 AM   #2508
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Feels so good to be back on my road bike!
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 06:19 AM   #2509
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Rode Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Feels so good to be back on my road bike!
Me too. Was able to get out for 60+Km each day. Rode solo one Saturday and with a few friends the other two days. We saw lots of other cyclists out there. Felt great to be off the trainer and able to put in some good distance in the sun.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #2510
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

How's the gravel out there headed west of Calgary? say from Royal Oak Co-op area? How's Retreat Road and Glendale and Church Ranches?
Old 03-15-2021, 10:20 AM   #2511
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

So my dad did a real kick ass thing for me this week. When he found out I couldn’t take the boys for a ride until I had the “caboose” to keep them safe, he asked for a couple of measurements and went and built one for me. It fit perfect! He then built some brackets so I could make a couple of running boards so the boys had a place to rest their feet.

Got it all dialed in this weekend with paint and did a ton of riding. The boys love it, I love it. One of the best purchases I’ve made in a while. The seat is a bit uncomfortable but I had an old gel seat cover I put on to help out. Looking fwd to exploring a lot of pathways this summer.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #2512
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
How's the gravel out there headed west of Calgary? say from Royal Oak Co-op area? How's Retreat Road and Glendale and Church Ranches?
I rode north of Big Hill Springs park on Saturday and it was perfection. Other than the ride back into the wind uphill.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #2513
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

That's some impressive work by your dad.

Is there any reason to replace it in favour of the branded one? I'd say that looks really good and makes your horse unique.

I recently bought a Chariot trailer (the original Calgary company, before Thule bought it) and have been refurbishing it so's I can take my little girl out for rides this summer. We'll see how it goes, but based on my training run (with a 20 lb dumbbell on board) I could see myself being in the market for an e-conversion by the time the summer is over.

Rad seems to provide awesome value for money for the whole e-bike though.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #2514
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
That's some impressive work by your dad.
Is there any reason to replace it in favour of the branded one? I'd say that looks really good and makes your horse unique.
I recently bought a Chariot trailer (the original Calgary company, before Thule bought it) and have been refurbishing it so's I can take my little girl out for rides this summer. We'll see how it goes, but based on my training run (with a 20 lb dumbbell on board) I could see myself being in the market for an e-conversion by the time the summer is over.

Rad seems to provide awesome value for money for the whole e-bike though.
Ride enough and you won't need that e-conversion, especially if it's only a single kid in the chariot which IMO roll super efficiently. I had my time pulling a double with 2 kids inside... also with XC skiing. Man I tell ya, now THAT was a workout!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #2515
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
So, forgive my ignorance, but do you want gravel when on the gravel bike?

I was out on Glendale road and 262 a few days ago and it was really good on the road bike. Obviously some gravel on the shoulder in some spots, but mostly clear.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #2516
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think he's talking gravel from the winter, he's talking about full on gravel road riding.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #2517
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I don't think he's talking gravel from the winter, he's talking about full on gravel road riding.
Yah man I see my first note wasn't specific... yes asking about gravel on the paved road shoulders where I'd be riding with my road bike. That said with my gravel bike I'm happy and able to ride almost anywhere... even Sideshow and 12 Mile Coulee when it's dry enough... which it currently is not (maybe short sections, but not enough to bother). Anyone know how dry Nosehill is right now on the top, south and SW areas?
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 12:44 PM   #2518
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All the highways and roads outside the city are bone dry, only time I saw water was inside the city limits trying to get to the countryside, gravel on the shoulders isn't too bad for the most part, 22x to and from Bragg is gravelly but you can pick the line most travelled and avoid quite a bit of it
Old 03-16-2021, 01:21 PM   #2519
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buying bike parts is going to be a problem this year. None of the local Calgary shops had, or could even order, a new cassette for my wife's road bike. I finally ended up getting the one she needed out of Cycle Smith in Halifax... And it wasn't oddball stuff, just 11s Shimano.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #2520
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
sorry, first response sounded dickish. I think it's in Canadian. His shop is here in Calgary, so I'm assuming it would be in CAD.
To close the loop on this, the prices are in USD and with shipping to Edmonton and Paypal's conversion the total came to $142 CAD. Still cheaper than the bike shops I could find that carry it in Canada and supports local.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote