Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #61
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

We will see if the Flames battling to stay in a playoff spot eliminates them from consideration of some of the college UFAs.

Being in the playoff race kind of prevents them from playing any of the college free agents this year; unless they prove to be really exceptional (or a really unfortunate string of injuries depletes the roster), Hartley won't dress them.

HF put a list of 10 potential free agents. Some of them already mentioned:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...l/#more-120203

Perhaps most intriguing is this guy:

Quote:
Oleg Yevenko, D
Senior, University of Massachusetts (Hockey East)

One of the more intriguing players among this year’s collegiate free agent crop is towering UMass senior defenseman, Oleg Yevenko. At 6’7” and 230 pounds, it’s hard to miss the Minsk, Belarus native.

Yevenko, who serves as one of the Minutemen’s assistant captains, has posted five points (all assists) in 33 games. He leads UMass with 72 blocked shots and ranks second on the team with 49 penalty minutes.

Yevenko is a physical, defensive defenseman who uses his enormous frame, strength and especially long reach quite well in taking away space and shutting down opposing players. He is one of the nation’s best shot-blockers and excels on the penalty kill. Although Yevenko doesn’t rack up many points, he does have some offensive ability. He possesses a very heavy shot and can get pucks to the net. His passing skills are also quite good. In addition to his sheer size, scouts have also taken notice of Yevenko’s physicality. He does an excellent job of finishing his checks and can deliver some bone-jarring hits.

While most collegiate players add size to improve their game, it has been the opposite for Yevenko. His combination of a lighter frame and vastly improved skating has allowed him to be a more mobile and effective rearguard, which can be seen in his stepped-up transition game. Although Yevenko lacks foot speed, he still moves well for a big man.

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-09-2015 at 09:14 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 09:14 PM   #62
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does a player actually have to play in the NHL to burn the first year of his contract, or does he just need to sign a contract that's valid for the season?
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #63
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ It shouldn't. Hawks, Ducks etc in past years have signed players and played them. Not to mention, this is a bonus year so do what you can to get free assets.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 PM   #64
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does a player actually have to play in the NHL to burn the first year of his contract, or does he just need to sign a contract that's valid for the season?
If they are 20 years and older, they don't need to play to burn a year, but it must be awfully tempting to some of these kids to have a guaranteed game this season.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 PM   #65
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames signed Yevenko and Kenny Morrison I would be over the moon.

It would help take part of the edge off of the lack of depth in the defensive prospect pool.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #66
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yevenko sounds kind of like Andrej Sustr, who seems to have worked out well for TB.
druetetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:33 PM   #67
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
If they are 20 years and older, they don't need to play to burn a year, but it must be awfully tempting to some of these kids to have a guaranteed game this season.
You wouldn't be able to sign a guy who's under 20 anyway since he'd still be draft eligible.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 AM   #68
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think signing a forward with the promise of a game would be very difficult - maybe he only plays 5 mins or less even? Still counts. Defencemen would be more difficult, but you can always dress an extra defencemen over a forward if that becomes the case.

If a prospect is good enough, and it means signing him or not signing him, I am sure the Flames will find a way to make it work.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #69
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
If the Flames signed Yevenko and Kenny Morrison I would be over the moon.

It would help take part of the edge off of the lack of depth in the defensive prospect pool.
I thought we had plenty of "depth" in the defense prospect pool, the problem was probably a lack of high end "sure fire" defense prospects.

Starting next season:

1. Wotherspoon - 3rd year ELC, hopefully makes the Flames
2. Sieloff - 2nd year ELC
3. Culkin - 2nd year ELC
4. Kulak - 2nd year ELC
5. Acolaste - RFA
6. Cundari - RFA
7. Ramage - RFA
8. Kanzig - Already signed, 4 years junior, will turn pro
9. Roy - Due to turn pro, I think he won't be signed due to the high number of D prospects
10. Billins - RFA, played in Europe this season, could come back
11. Rafikov - Likely to come over in the next two years
12. Gilmour - 3 years college, will turn pro in the next two years
13. Hickey - Only one year college, but could turn pro in the next couple years
14. Ollas-Mattsson - Probably stays in Europe, but who knows?

So 4 D committed to AHL already: (Sieloff, Kulak, Culkin, Kanzig)

...and you know the Flames will want a veteran or two to supplement the three sophomores and one rookie listed above.

That's assuming:

1. They don't re-sign any of the RFA's (Acolatse, Cundari, Ramage)
2. Don't sign Roy to an ELC
3. Billins doesn't come back
4. Wotherspoon makes the NHL
5. OAM and Rafikov stay in Europe
6. The college guys stay in college for another year

Not a lot of spots to go hunting for UFA college guys really. I mean, I love the idea of a free prospect, but are any of these guys THAT good? Is there a Sustr or Dekeyser in there that can go straight to the NHL?

Also, let's remember we do have 6 NHL defenseman already signed for next season too. (although I'm hoping Smid gets dealt, but doubtful as his value is at an all time low due to injuries)

TLDR;

Lots of "depth", need more "high end"...........any of these college UFA's legitimately "high end"?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #70
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mike Reilly is legitmately high end. THN puts him in the 1st round if the 2011 draft were re-done. They also put him as a mid first round pick in this year's draft if he were eligible.

Only caveat is that he would only be a free agent if he chooses to leave college this year and decides not to sign with the Blue Jackets by June 1st. Columbus moved out Wisniewski in part to open up a roster spot for him.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #71
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reilly would be a fantastic pick up.
ForeverFlameFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM   #72
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Lots of "depth", need more "high end"
Eh, I'd say Hickey, Culkin, Kulak and Rafikov are all "high-end" as prospects. If even one of them realizes his full potential he's gonna be top pairing - and they each seem to have have all the tools. Plus for all the inherent limitations we seem to expect from Tyler Wotherspoon, his progression is pretty absurd if you ask me. Wotherspoon reminds me of Monahan in the sense that you try and write him off because he doesn't play like the elitest talents yet does so much so well and just gets better and better.

Do any of those guys unseat Gio & Brodie any time soon? Probably not but then you're talking about two top 10-15 NHL Defensemen and ten years ago Gio wasn't a Norris candidate either.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #73
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman on Rielly:

Quote:
Elliotte Friedman was on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 on Tuesday afternoon.

On this being the time of year to hear about college free agents, and what we need to know about Mike Reilly:

“Mike Reilly is not yet a free agent, but there is a chance he could turn out to be this year’s Kevin Hayes. He was drafted in the fourth round a couple of years ago by the Columbus Blue Jackets and they have to sign him before the draft this year or he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

“He went through Columbus or the Ohio area on the weekend with the University of Minnesota. If you read his quotes, and Aaron Portzline did a big story on him today – he’s not – it didn’t sound good for Columbus.

“He’s a guy who was a small kid who’s gotten bigger and he’s a really talented puck-moving defenseman. And I think there are a number of NHL teams who are keeping their eyes on him. And if he doesn’t sign in Columbus – and right now the feeling is it’s not looking good for the Blue Jackets – I think you’re going to see a lot of teams jump into the race for this guy because he’s a really talented player.”

On if there's any chance he's a kid with Minnesota ties who is pre-destined to find his way to the Wild:

"His father is a minority owner of the Wild."

Okay then.

"Now I don't know if that means anything, but it can't mean nothing."
Old 03-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #74
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Eh, I'd say Hickey, Culkin, Kulak and Rafikov are all "high-end" as prospects. If even one of them realizes his full potential he's gonna be top pairing - and they each seem to have have all the tools. Plus for all the inherent limitations we seem to expect from Tyler Wotherspoon, his progression is pretty absurd if you ask me. Wotherspoon reminds me of Monahan in the sense that you try and write him off because he doesn't play like the elitest talents yet does so much so well and just gets better and better.

Do any of those guys unseat Gio & Brodie any time soon? Probably not but then you're talking about two top 10-15 NHL Defensemen and ten years ago Gio wasn't a Norris candidate either.
I like all those guys too. Been saying that I feel our D prospect pool is under rated for a couple years now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:20 PM   #75
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
This is a guy who the Flames scouts will have seen when watching Gillies, wonder if they have interest? Defenceman who can skate, plays well in all zones
The caution here is that a lot of the free agent college d men are undersized and still have eligibility. Of all the dmen listed, only two are seniors, which means those that aren't seniors can go back to college. Morrison was heavily pursued the past couple of summers but no guarantee he turns pro this summer. The Belarusian sureloss mentioned seems interesting on the backside bit foot speed seems to be an issue. Zach Palmquist is another senior on the list at 5'11" 175lbs. Do we chase him in the hopes he develops into a Torey Krug but may bust in pros. Might be easier finding a rh shot for our rw group as more options are there
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:12 AM   #76
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

I think Hickey's stock could get to that high end range but every team has prospects like the other 3 you mentioned. I'm excited about those guys too but they are not high end.

A high end defense project is a Josh Morrisey or Madison Bowey. The 4 flames you mentioned aren't close to that kind of asset.
RyZ
Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #77
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Cole Bardreau is going pro:

Brian Bartlett @BBarts
Pleased to announce that Sports Consulting Group has been hired by Cole Bardreau of @CUBigRedHockey to represent him in upcoming pro career.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38618
Old 03-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #78
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bruins have signed Frank Vatrano, who scored 28 points in 36 games this season for UMass. It was his second college season, but he had only played 1 game last season.

Vatrano attended the Flames' prospects camp in 2012.

He'll turn 21 next week and is a Boston-area product.

Last edited by getbak; 03-12-2015 at 10:15 AM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:17 PM   #79
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#Flyers signed F Cole Bardreau to ELC, who just wrapped up senior year at Cornell. He netted 53 points in 103 career NCAA games.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:55 PM   #80
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli
#Flyers signed F Cole Bardreau to ELC, who just wrapped up senior year at Cornell. He netted 53 points in 103 career NCAA games.
See, that's the thing for people to remember when they start talking about the Flames not signing Jankowski when he's done college, teams are signing guys like Bardreau within days of being eligible to turn pro. It's not like players have to be absolute superstars coming out of college to get offered NHL contracts.

The Flames signed Van Brabant last year, and he didn't have spectacular stats in college. BVB is at least a big kid who could make the NHL in a non-scoring role. Bardreau isn't even that big, under 6 feet and under 200 pounds.

Oddly enough, Bardreau had 5 goals and 17 assists in 30 games this season, which is the exact same stat line that Jankowski has this year, so far. He did lead Cornell in points, by 8, so it's safe to say they didn't have a good team.

Over his career, right now, Jankowski has 65 points in 103 games at Providence. Numbers that already blow Van Brabant and Bardreau out of the water, and he could still go back for his senior year.