Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2024, 06:53 AM   #61
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it would be nice if one trade was made soon, while the last one or two trades occur at the deadline.

3/5 UFAs have already been traded, so Conroy has done a good job. If he can do one more trade in February, that should make the deadline more manageable.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:10 AM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the nature of how the Flames operate, it's uncharted territory for Flames fans to see their team have a big selling year. There was the season that Iginla and Bouwmeester were moved but that was slightly different circumstances where you had a long tenured star that wanted an opportunity to win a cup at the late stages of his career. I imagine what has transpired in Calgary this last year isn't a lot different than a lot of organizations that get into selling modes that there's a bit of locker room dissention. I don't have anything against any pending free agent that wants to hit free agency. It's the one period of their career where they have full control and it seems Lindholm wasn't happy in Calgary so I don't hold that against him even if his play this season was kind of indifferent. Zadorov could have handled his situation better but there's a reason he's bounced around this league. I will be a little sad to see Hanafin and Tanev leave because they have been good team guys but if Hanafin wants to play in the USA then I totally understand and wish him the best. Same with Tanev who deserves one last payday as he's been everything a Flames fan could have hoped and never did this organization wrong.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:48 AM   #63
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing with Backlund "wanting out" or being willing to play chase a cup with another team came when Sutter was still the Head Coach. It didn't take long for Backlund to change his tune after Sutter was relieved of his duties.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #64
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
The thing with Backlund "wanting out" or being willing to play chase a cup with another team came when Sutter was still the Head Coach. It didn't take long for Backlund to change his tune after Sutter was relieved of his duties.
The way the org treated his Clancy win was a bit factor too.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:27 AM   #65
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1758195929918947576
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 11:37 AM   #66
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
The way the org treated his Clancy win was a bit factor too.
Mark Giordano helped the cause, too:

Giordano’s advice?

Stay in Calgary.

“Sometimes you wonder, ‘What if I go somewhere else and how is it going to be?’ said the 40-year-old Leafs defenceman whose long run in Calgary ended in 2021 when he was plucked by Seattle in the expansion draft.

“But he’s developed such a great thing here, and it’s a great city and great place to play and it’s an organization that continues to want to win all the time.

“Good on him, I think he made the right call to stay and be captain. He deserves to be captain and he’s in a great spot.

“Mine was a different scenario, as it’s not like I got up and left.

“I would have loved to be able to finish my career here.”

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...goalie-debate/
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 11:44 AM   #67
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

God I miss Gio
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:03 PM   #68
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should sign Gio as a 7th defenseman next year, so that he can mentor our young defensemen, provide some solid limited minutes, and of course retire here! He recently said he feels great to keep to playing, and we will need bodies next year on the blueline. Would also be a great fit leadership-wise with potentially Hanifin and Tanev not returning either.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 12:11 PM   #69
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
We should sign Gio as a 7th defenseman next year, so that he can mentor our young defensemen, provide some solid limited minutes, and of course retire here! He recently said he feels great to keep to playing, and we will need bodies next year on the blueline. Would also be a great fit leadership-wise with potentially Hanifin and Tanev not returning either.
I would love this if it makes sense to him, his level of play is still NHL level, cost, term, etc.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:27 PM   #70
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Come back and challenge Backlund for the all time games played title.

Also, win.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:31 PM   #71
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Gio on 1 season contracts at league minimum as 7th D/mentor would be awesome!
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post: