Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #181
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh man, so sorry to hear that.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #182
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Awful awful news Drak. So sorry to hear. Glad your wife is okay, but I can't imagine that happening to my guy. Especially in front of my eyes. One of my worst fears.

I assume an altercation with the driver ensued. What happened there?
First, thanks for the responses from everyone. I typically hold loss inside but I feel like I need to talk to people. I might have to go see someone about how I feel to deal with this.

As to the driver, I yelled at him and tore into him verbally in a rage. I made a pretty big scene. Firefighters approached me with one of the witnesses and walled me off from the guy. But I wasn't going to do anything to him physically I just felt rage and utter despair all the the same time. I was in shock and in a daze. My wife has to give the police her account of what happened again in writing via email. They took her verbal statement down at the scene when she was in a stretcher or in the ambulance but they want it in writing as well. There were two witnesses there that saw what happened.

I realize accidents happen but I just don't understand how you run someone over at a crosswalk 4 way stop in a school zone. This was completely unnecessary and avoidable. Nothing will bring our little dog back.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #183
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is terrible news! I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:40 PM   #184
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few weeks a go I stopped to get a soft drink. When I got home 10minutes later, I found my dog on twitter

https://twitter.com/adolwyn/status/919403675801436160

I wrote a message in reply but by the time I posted my response, people started mentioning they recognized my dog.

Social media does make the world smaller....
para transit fellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:53 PM   #185
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's my boy Max doing one of his favorite things...trying to catch water. He misses a lot!

Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #186
Guest1

My hat is off to you Drak. I'm not sure I would have had any self control. I can't imagine having to deal with that. I guess there was dog that got hit in our neighbourhood yesterday and a bunch of kids from a school witnessed it I can't deal with seeing an animal in pain. Humans? That I can deal with. There's just something about an animal that can't verbalize what's happening with them that gets me.

Our "youngest" is almost 3 years. He was cute puppy but has grown to be 120 pounds of cuteness/a$$holeness
(hidden for size?)
NSFW!

Last edited by Puxlut; 11-21-2017 at 11:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 AM   #187
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jesus.. Sorry, Drak.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #188
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My lord... I feel for you, Drak. That is terrible news to hear, words cannot describe how much pain I feel for you and your family. In my own experiences, it really does feel like losing your own child when a dog passes. I can’t imagine the rage and despair that you experienced from having it happen due to an unnecessary accident situation like you described.

The big positive though is that your wife sounds like she’ll be ok. It is a tough situation, but I hope you can find peace in this situation soon.
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 PM   #189
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hide...

Spoiler!

Hide...

Spoiler!

Hide...

Spoiler!

Hide...

Spoiler!
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 AM   #190
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beautiful pictures.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #191
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We have a hilarious Pekingese who is very true to his breed in that he is amazingly loyal, aloof and has a ton of personality. My wife is pregnant with our first and he has totally figured it out. Now if he is on the couch with us he will immediately sit on her lap or belly in full protection mode. It is a pretty funny sight to see a ten lb dog that barely has any teeth being a guard dog!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 11:45 AM   #192
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

bagofpucks

your story sounds a lot like our pugs when we were expecting our first. We did some research on the internet on how to properly introduce a baby to the dogs and it worked out really well for us.

Be sure to do your own research but some of the highlights included bringing home a blanket the baby had been wrapped in before the baby comes home. Then once the baby is at home, one of you holds the baby above the dog for a long time. The dog only gets to smell the baby when you say so. You're supposed to softly talk to the dog and let the dog understand that it's role is to protect the baby, but the baby is ahead of it on the pecking order. For us it took about an hour, but the results were phenominal, literally from day 1.

Best of luck
Old 01-10-2018, 12:24 PM   #193
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yes, excellent post! Our dog was a rescue, so we did a ton of baby/child aggression tests when we got him and he did really well. We will definitely be doing some training before we bring the baby home. Because he is a rescue, we aren’t really sure what his backstory is, but he has always been very gentle and protecting of my nieces and nephews. Not sure if he came about it naturally or if he did have some training or experience in the past.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #194
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

One thing I did years ago was to train my dog that any human is allowed to take his food dish away from him. Real simple, start with me as the pack leader doing it; and every time I return it to him there's something extra in there that he likes. Moved down to my other family members, and then nephews and finally random friends' kids. (Ones who hadn't met him previously.)

So many of the instances you hear about with random dog attacks has to do with a kid getting too close to the food. This is a good way to lessen the risk of that happening.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 02:35 PM   #195
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We did something similar to determine any aggression when we got our dog. My wife and I would take his dish or favorite toy and praise him when giving it back. I didn’t think about adding a treat in the dish though, that is smart, but I’m not sure he would get the correlation as he is pretty aloof when it comes to treats. Praise seems to work with him though. He did have one negative encounter with a child that was inexperienced with dogs that grabbed him from behind, but we haven’t seen the same behavior since.

Another thing that was awesome is we did the ten week dog training through the Calgary Humane society. I really wish this was mandatory for all dog owners as it was a lot of fun and had a lot of great tips and tricks. Now if we could only get him to stop making messes on the floor when it’s -20 outside...haha.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #196
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagofpucks View Post
We did Now if we could only get him to stop making messes on the floor when it’s -20 outside...haha.
Hah. No kidding. My 10 month old pup refused to go outside last night. Then proceeded to fall asleep and wet himself just like a toddler peeing the bed. At least I hope that's all that was. He's been perfectly toilet trained up until this. Has a checkup next week so I'll ask the vet.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #197
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone have any advice on a book or website in how to deal with scared little dogs? We just got a rescue, and she hides too much to be healthy.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #198
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Anyone have any advice on a book or website in how to deal with scared little dogs? We just got a rescue, and she hides too much to be healthy.
There's Cesar Millan...

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavi...xiety-and-fear

Pretty much any question you can think of has been answered by that guy.

I think a natural reaction is to comfort and coddle a scared dog like we do with people but that is kind of the opposite of what you want to do. It's essentially praising the behavior you want to change.

Other than that...toys! Lots of stuffed animals. This is one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30t65a
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #199
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There's Cesar Millan...

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavi...xiety-and-fear

Pretty much any question you can think of has been answered by that guy.

I think a natural reaction is to comfort and coddle a scared dog like we do with people but that is kind of the opposite of what you want to do. It's essentially praising the behavior you want to change.

Other than that...toys! Lots of stuffed animals. This is one of the most amazing videos I've ever seen...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30t65a
She's terrified of stuffed animals. Afraid they are going to squeak, which is like a total no around her. Clicking is bad, but a squeak is terrifying. Also, she's smaller than nearly all the dog toys available on the market. As for playing with toys, no teeth, so that's a bit hard too.

I think I have the vague generalities right, but it's the details I need help with.

Last edited by Knalus; 01-10-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: stuffed, not scared. The Dog is scared, the toys are stuffed.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #200
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Don't let them watch hockey with you.

I'm quite serious. One of mine was scared of everything from the moment I got her, and while she slowly got better as I introduced her to things, 'led the way,' or got her used to things that spooked her (terrifying things, like, y'know, a pile of snow on the road that fell off the bottom of someone's car) there was always this regression whenever I started yelling at the TV.

When I got a second dog a few years later, it's like he was her confidence, and she got better almost immediately. But when he got older, they both started hiding under the bed whenever I watched hockey.

Instead of loud 'WTFs', I've trained myself to close my eyes and take a deep breath, and now we're all happy but me when the Flames are sucking.

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 03-23-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: