Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Planning Massive Trip - Need Help!

So after having gone to Europe the past couple of years I am looking for something a little bigger and more rugged then the backpack/hostelling thing. I have been looking into this for about 2 weeks now but the amount of info I need is absurd and am just looking for anyone with first hand experience to help me out. I am planning on doing the trip sometime next year.

The trip I am planning (and yes, I know this sounds rather daunting) is to fly to London, purchase a used Land Rover Discovery (Defender would be better but not sure how realistic that is), have it modified in London as needed and then take it all the way down to Cape Town, SA and back to London. What I am looking for is anyone with experience travelling in Africa (particularly overland travel), anyone with experience with overland travel (and properly equipping a vehicle) in general and anyone that can comment (with facts, not hearsay) on the ability for one to travel by vehicle VIA western Africa.

Any help or advice would be great, looking for firsthand experience for the most part as I have already searched the internet fives ways from Sunday.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this trip because your girlfriend of three months, who has already broken up with you once, might break up with you again over the holidays?
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GreenTeaFrapp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol
Naw, just want to see Africa on my own terms.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:40 PM   #4
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
You won the lottery?
That would certainly help pay for it! But no, I did not. $20k or less is what I am hoping for.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Is this trip because your girlfriend of three months, who has already broken up with you once, might break up with you again over the holidays?
Beaten to the punch!
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

you should check out this thread if you already haven't and check out the website the guy is posting to. Probably good info there.

Then retrace his journey.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=98643
Old 12-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Long Way Down part II?

Edit: Nice tags.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
you should check out this thread if you already haven't and check out the website the guy is posting to. Probably good info there.

Then retrace his journey.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=98643
I am actually a member on that forum and have been following that thread, crazy stuff! I dont quite want to get to that level of trying to journey through the middle of the DRC on dirt paths, that is a bit over my head. From my understanding there is a "highway" or at least somekind of road system that stretches from Cape Town to Cairo with only a few stretches of unpaved road which seems to be the most logical way to come back. What I want to do is head south VIA Burkina Faso, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon..etc and get to SA that way. Problem is I cant find much on the road system on that side of the continent and with that being mostly former french colonies over there, communication might also be a major issue.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
The Long Way Down part II?

Edit: Nice tags.
The long way down was a great show. I'd highly recommend it if you're thinking of doing this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The long way down was a great show. I'd highly recommend it if you're thinking of doing this.
Hmmm never heard of it, will look it up for sure. Thanks guys!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been to S. Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Best advice i can give you is avoid Zimbabwe if at all possible. We crossed into and out of Zimbabwe 4 times and was hassled each time by the border guards. Money, personal items, passports were confiscated. Your tag about getting murdered is not out of the realm of possibility
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have you seen Long Way Down? John o' Groats to Cape Town. I know Charley and Ewan had issues traveling through one country to another and there many months of planning before hand. It may have had more to do with their entourage they had. Instead of a LR, you should look into a Toyota or a Bike.

Edit: Ahhh beaten to the LWD...

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 12-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
I've been to S. Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe and Zambia. Best advice i can give you is avoid Zimbabwe if at all possible. We crossed into and out of Zimbabwe 4 times and was hassled each time by the border guards. Money, personal items, passports were confiscated. Your tag about getting murdered is not out of the realm of possibility
I have read that same thing now 3-4 times about Zimbabwe, safe to say that is a place I will avoid at all costs, thanks for the tip.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Have you seen Long Way Down? John o' Groats to Cape Town. I know Charlie and Ewan had issues traveling through one country to another and there many months of planning before hand. It may have had more to do with their entourage they had. Instead of a LR, you should look into a Toyota or a Bike.

Edit: Ahhh beaten to the LWD...
Hey buddy!

A Landcruiser would be great, but you have to pay a kings ransom to get one. A Toyota Hilux would also work well but again, they're pretty rare and fairly expensive. A bike I have ruled out for a few reasons, road conditions, lack of storage ability and no place to camp. I want to rig up the LR with a roof tent so I can sleep off the ground, and wherever I want.

The main reason I have focused in on LR's is because of how cheap you can get them in England and how many shops in the London area that can do the mods.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #15
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems mildly relavant to post this; part 1 of 6
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #16
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Just buy 2 or 3 trailers to bring all the replacement parts you'll need on the way
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #17
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
what were you there for?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
what were you there for?
joint mission with the UN and MSF for AIDs education, infectious disease vaccinations, water purification etc plus some time on my own for leisure
Old 12-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
I am actually a member on that forum and have been following that thread, crazy stuff! I dont quite want to get to that level of trying to journey through the middle of the DRC on dirt paths, that is a bit over my head. From my understanding there is a "highway" or at least somekind of road system that stretches from Cape Town to Cairo with only a few stretches of unpaved road which seems to be the most logical way to come back. What I want to do is head south VIA Burkina Faso, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon..etc and get to SA that way. Problem is I cant find much on the road system on that side of the continent and with that being mostly former french colonies over there, communication might also be a major issue.
I backpacked Africa Cape Town to Kigali a couple years ago, and I think the #1 issue you'll face is the roads are in terrible shape, even (especially?) major national highways. They are riddled with potholes and limit speeds often to like 30km/hour, and it's constant weaving around potholes for hours and hours. I did not see one nice bit of 'highway' in the dozen+ countries I was in outside South Africa, and I'm sure I traveled the major routes (ie capitol to capitol).
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Agamemnon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This sounds like a surefire way to be murdered, robbed and raped.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
africa , lion , travel , will i be murdered?