Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #3621
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the unions pursue the general strike or wildcat strikes it will be interesting to see the public reaction. I think Kenney thinks he’s a little more invincible than he really is though. Sentiment isn’t great these days and while he received a strong mandate, he’s started to irritate a lot of people as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:06 PM   #3622
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish we had the means to recall a premier.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #3623
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

so the next round of cut-backs will fall on us non-profit do-gooders, just like all of the previous rounds of cut-backs

as alek mentioned poor EMS response means poor recovery: more outpatient recovery -- more post accident therapy appointments to therapy/ community supports

but para transit was off-loaded by klein as a municipal responsibility back in 1993.

So now that everything that is done on an out patient basis to save HUGE bucks.... the transportation to the out-patient facilities is not funded by the province in order to save the small dollars...

So, Alberta health Services depends on local property tax funded intitatives - to supply transportation to/FROM sites providing rehab services as part of Care in the Home.

your muncicpal tax dollar going to support provincial responsibilities.

the province gets the savings. the municipal taxpayer pays for the health-required transportation
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:14 PM   #3624
Poster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
They had my vote until they announced some policies that were no goes for me.
Which policies? is there any party where someone would agree with 100% of their policies?
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 PM   #3625
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
That's a pretty small bonus for an executive role compared to the Private sector tbh.

On a $462k salary.

I should issue a correction, he is the Vice, not the pres.

Last edited by Aleks; 12-01-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #3626
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

You should see some of the things on their agenda . example, repeal bill 30 which is a workplace safety act, the first line in the rationale: "Bill 30 was implemented by the previous government.". They feel reporting to OH&S is apparently too burdensome to small businesses
Old 12-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #3627
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alberta: We're not Victorian London. Yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #3628
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
Nah, that's not really the reason. It's because Albertans don't give a #### about centrist parties, and they certainly aren't going to vote for anyone who runs on a platform of raising taxes, and anyone who claims differently is fooling themselves.
The Alberta Conservatives under Stelmach and Redford were a centrist party.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:17 AM   #3629
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, can't think of anything more brokerage and centrist than those two and they won larger majorities than Kenney.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #3630
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yeah, can't think of anything more brokerage and centrist than those two and they won larger majorities than Kenney.
Its a tight line to walk though. They became more centrist and then a party outflanked them to the right and they lost the only election they've ever lost in a million years.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #3631
Cowboy89
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If the unions pursue the general strike or wildcat strikes it will be interesting to see the public reaction. I think Kenney thinks he’s a little more invincible than he really is though. Sentiment isn’t great these days and while he received a strong mandate, he’s started to irritate a lot of people as well.
I would be interested in seeing how the general public sits with this too. Everyone wants great public services until it comes time to pay for them. The government needs to walk the line of managing the provinces finances, providing a decent quality of frontline service, and preventing incremental investment from leaving the province. During these times that's an impossible task.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #3632
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the mid-90s Klein cut government spending by more than 20 per cent across the board. Those were massive cuts, literally an order of magnitude larger than anything proposed by Kenney. And Klein's Conservatives were re-elected in '97 with 63 out of 83 seats.

Those were different times, with different attitudes around debt than we have today. But there's precedence in this province for a government sustaining its popularity after substantial cuts to public spending.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #3633
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I would be interested in seeing how the general public sits with this too. Everyone wants great public services until it comes time to pay for them. The government needs to walk the line of managing the provinces finances, providing a decent quality of frontline service, and preventing incremental investment from leaving the province. During these times that's an impossible task.
Hey I get the argument for balancing the debt. But one would think that prudent management of the province's finances would not involve blowing a 4.7B hole in the budget and then complaining how broke you are. But what do I know?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #3634
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
In the mid-90s Klein cut government spending by more than 20 per cent across the board. Those were massive cuts, literally an order of magnitude larger than anything proposed by Kenney. And Klein's Conservatives were re-elected in '97 with 63 out of 83 seats.

Those were different times, with different attitudes around debt than we have today. But there's precedence in this province for a government sustaining its popularity after substantial cuts to public spending.
I would say personally I'm not necessarily opposed to cuts (I think AB spends too much and taxes too little for our new royalty income reality).

However, I think the Kenney cuts have been done incompetently. The school boards should have had their cuts done prior to the beginning of the school year. They budget by the school year, and while I don't think CBE is a paragon of good management, if they knew their budget upfront they would have done the cuts at a more logical time.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #3635
Geraldsh
Draft Pick

[QUOTE=bizaro86;7295629]I would say personally I'm not necessarily opposed to cuts (I think AB spends too much and taxes too little for our new royalty income reality).

However, I think the Kenney cuts have been done incompetently.

I agree.
You would think none of them had ever been in office before- maybe being mean now so they can be nice later....
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #3636
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You know, if you read the news at all, I have to wonder what would inspire people to move here. O+G continues it’s cuts, tech sector not looking positive, provincial service line cuts, I hear yet again Municipal cuts are coming.

My personal role continues to be up in the air, it’s paralyzing.

Is there any industry in Alberta experiencing growth, or that has a positive outlook? There does come a time when Starbucks or bar employment isn’t worth sticking it out for.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #3637
Bonded
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think instead of cutting nurses they should cut from the blue building on Southport. That office is full and I guarantee that most people in there are making 100k+ doing bureaucratic jobs. Cut that building to the bones and spare front line staff.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #3638
Flaming Homer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think instead of cutting nurses they should cut from the blue building on Southport. That office is full and I guarantee that most people in there are making 100k+ doing bureaucratic jobs. Cut that building to the bones and spare front line staff.
Just to note your government doesn’t get to decide which jobs get cut. Nobody can deny there is a lot of bloat in many public services. The people in charge of each service decide where the jobs get axed when the funding gets cut.
Flaming Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flaming Homer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #3639
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I already mentioned this in this thread, but I was offered a job at that blue building on Southport for over 20% less than I ended up accepting in the private sector.

That job also had no bonus, had to pay for expensive parking considering you weren't downtown, and came with a pay freeze for 4 years right out of the gate.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #3640
Bonded
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Just to note your government doesn’t get to decide which jobs get cut. Nobody can deny there is a lot of bloat in many public services. The people in charge of each service decide where the jobs get axed when the funding gets cut.
Yeah, but I am guessing the administrators are more likely to protect the admin jobs.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post: