Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Vet recommendations in the NW

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good vet for animals of the canine persuasion in the NW.

We are in the process of getting a soft-coated wheaten puppy, so we'll need a vet this summer. We're up in Evanston, so the NW is preferred, but being in Evanston, we're used to driving to get to almost everything , so if you know of a great vet in another part of the city, that's good too.

Thanks,
Scott
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
STAMPEDRED
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My recommendation would be the Animal Care clinic in Okotoks! Waaaay cheaper than Calgary, and it is a pleasant drive. There are two vets in Okotoks and the one that is further into town is the sheaper (oops, I mean cheaper!) one. We didn't really shop around, we just took our friends word for it as they called around and found them to be almost 1/2 the cost of what vet bills are in Calgary, so really worth the drive for us as our dog is going to cost a lot for his snip package because he's already so big!

What kind of dog is a Wheaten puppy?
STAMPEDRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I go to the Harvest Hills Veterinary Clinic near the Empire studio theaters on Country Hills. Never had any problems there yet . . .
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #4
ThinRedLine
Draft Pick

I second the out of town recommendation. I took my dogs to a vet in Olds and I paid $200 for shots/check-ups that were going to cost $550 in Calgary...

Obviously if it's an emergency I'd go in town, but if you have the time, it definitely pays off!
ThinRedLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAMPEDRED View Post
My recommendation would be the Animal Care clinic in Okotoks! Waaaay cheaper than Calgary, and it is a pleasant drive. There are two vets in Okotoks and the one that is further into town is the sheaper (oops, I mean cheaper!) one. We didn't really shop around, we just took our friends word for it as they called around and found them to be almost 1/2 the cost of what vet bills are in Calgary, so really worth the drive for us as our dog is going to cost a lot for his snip package because he's already so big!

What kind of dog is a Wheaten puppy?
Yes very good clinic. So is the one at Glenmore Landing, top notch vets in both places.

Meant to add that Daniel Joffe has now moved from the Glenmore Landing clinic to that new veterinary clinic close to where the old Cosco by Glenmore trail was. So I know that would be a good clinic, just based on the fact that Dr. Joffe is there. I hear it is expensive though. I think it is open 24 hours a day.

Last edited by redforever; 04-08-2007 at 11:36 AM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Edgemont Veterinary clinic has been good for us. Either Olynyk or Kerr are very good
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Brentwood Veterinary Clinic. Dr Belford is the only guy that's going to see my pets. A very realistic approach to pet medicine.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:35 PM   #8
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinRedLine View Post
I second the out of town recommendation. I took my dogs to a vet in Olds and I paid $200 for shots/check-ups that were going to cost $550 in Calgary...

Obviously if it's an emergency I'd go in town, but if you have the time, it definitely pays off!
I go to "visit" my parents when my dog needs his shots and take him to the clinic in innisfail...waaaaay cheaper, and it's who we grew up with.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote