Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #41
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Lots of teams win without idiots and loose cannons

There is a big difference between Tkachuk being annoying and guys head hunting and jeopardizing health and careers
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #42
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no problem with the length. This guy keeps doing stupid things. Wilson is bigger and scarier by a mile, but I bet that Kadri has done more things in his career, and they keep adding up. Next time (and you know there will be a next time) he is gone for 12+ for a similar incident to this one. If he didn't have the history, and considering this is playoffs (where suspensions are usually shorter given the importance of playoff games it seems), this probably would have got 2 games - 3 max.

Yeah, Tkachuk is nothing like this. I cringed in his first season as I saw him slew-foot a few guys, and then that Doughty elbow - I actually disliked him. He was 100% dirty. I didn't like him falling on Campbell that game as I do think stuff like that can injure players, but it wasn't so egregious either. He isn't the career-ending idiot that many people seem to think he is.

I think that's Kadri, Kassian, Wilson... who else am I missing? Oh, Draisaitl needs to be called out for his slew foots. I think I am missing probably another 10 players. Surprisingly, no Canucks on the list right now, after a very long tradition of having multiple players of this ilk on their squads. The only 2 really dirty 'attempt to injure types' that the Flames carried have been Marchment and Gauthier, IMO - at least in the more modern era (not going all the way back to the 80's, but kicking didn't result in suspensions back then!).

I am glad that the Flames never got Kadri either. Once he made the throat slash at Giordano, I thought he was nothing but a POS, and I hate having a POS on the team I cheer for.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this was overly harsh compared to what Wilson did. I don't think it was obviously intentional and Kadri hasn't been disciplined in over 18 months, so the repeat offender status shouldn't apply (that was part of the argument for being lenient on Wilson).
Old 05-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #44
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The clarification was made earlier in this thread, as I understand, that repeat offender status is a definition affecting salary forfeiture.

History can still be taken in to account without that designation.

Kadri gets suspended regularly. It would have been easy for him not to hit the guy with head as principal point of contact
Old 05-22-2021, 01:54 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If playoff games are considered 2X a regular season game, this is a 16 game suspension.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:45 PM   #46
InternationalVillager
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One thing I don't understand is why does Kadri think he needs to make that hit? Like I get it if you're playing on the Leafs - you're trying to be a gamebreaker or make an impact.

Guys on a loaded Avs team and all he has to do is just play his role, mind his business and enjoy the ride that Mackinnon is taking the team on.

Seriously - sometimes the IQ of these athletes really surprises me. They have no awareness.
InternationalVillager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #47
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
One thing I don't understand is why does Kadri think he needs to make that hit? Like I get it if you're playing on the Leafs - you're trying to be a gamebreaker or make an impact.

Guys on a loaded Avs team and all he has to do is just play his role, mind his business and enjoy the ride that Mackinnon is taking the team on.

Seriously - sometimes the IQ of these athletes really surprises me. They have no awareness.

They are in the middle of a hockey game playing at top speed. Instincts take over. He’s a guy who plays a chippy game. He made a hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #48
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They are in the middle of a hockey game playing at top speed. Instincts take over. He’s a guy who plays a chippy game. He made a hit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He made a terrible decision and a dirty, cheap, chicken #%^* hit you mean. Cause I don’t care what excuse he needs or anyone needs to say hey it’s a fast game. It was a dirty hit 30 years ago not to mention now. Only difference is now he’s suspended instead of getting his head punched in.

Thank god we never traded for him or that he wouldn’t waive his NTC. Because he’s a loser. Always was and always will be. I’d rather have soft players like Monahan who at least aren’t complete losers on the ice like Kadri.
jlh2640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #49
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yes, there is. Not sure of the time.
Thought it was 16
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:07 PM   #50
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
"intent" isn't really relevant when you hit a guy who doesn't have the puck, from the blind side, and clip his chin with your ascending shoulder.
This is really disingenuous.

Puck is gone? Yeah, but it's bang-bang by NHL standards and not a late hit. Puck was there a moment before the hit.

Blind side? He's coming from ~45 degrees from the direction the player is going. If he's looking at the net he sees Kadri coming. This isn't hitting from behind.

Ascending? Yeah, and one foot's off the ice, but it's not a jump. He did unlock his leading knee, which seems like a good thing to do for both players to reduce the risk of a leg injury.

Which leaves you with clipping the chin, which is really the only thing he did wrong.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:58 PM   #51
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
Nazem Kadri is appealing his 8-game suspension.

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
The appeal will be heard by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman. If Kadri is unsatisfied with that ruling, he can appeal to an independent arbitrator.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #52
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post

Puck is gone? Yeah, but it's bang-bang by NHL standards and not a late hit. Puck was there a moment before the hit.

Blind side? He's coming from ~45 degrees from the direction the player is going. If he's looking at the net he sees Kadri coming. This isn't hitting from behind.

Ascending? Yeah, and one foot's off the ice, but it's not a jump. He did unlock his leading knee, which seems like a good thing to do for both players to reduce the risk of a leg injury.

Which leaves you with clipping the chin, which is really the only thing he did wrong.
BS. It was a predatory Scott Steven's hit that the league and many fans want out of the game.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #53
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't say it was hitting from behind. It's a check to the head, from the blind side. Different rule altogether.

It's a predatory hit, suspendable, suspended, and again... intent has nothing to do with it. The NHL clearly agrees with my take, so cleverly outting me as some kind of Kadri hater is your vector?

You're right on one thing: he had the puck, I was wrong in typing that. But he had it for a 1/2 second in a super vulnerable position, and Kadri absolutely blasted him. Exactly the type of hit the NHL is trying to get rid of.

Last edited by TheSquatch; 05-23-2021 at 07:54 PM.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #54
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Has Bettman ever reduced a DOPS punishment?

Kadri is annoying
Old 05-23-2021, 08:15 PM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
BS. It was a predatory Scott Steven's hit that the league and many fans want out of the game.
Is it still a hit that the league and many fans want out of the game if he makes contact to the shoulder instead of the head? If so, what hits would the league and said fans want to keep?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:23 PM   #56
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Is it still a hit that the league and many fans want out of the game if he makes contact to the shoulder instead of the head? If so, what hits would the league and said fans want to keep?
I mean, there's.... rules. This is... a rule.

Rule 48. Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head - A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact is not permitted.
48.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.
48.3 Major Penalty - For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).
48.4 Match Penalty - An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.
48.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.
48.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under this rule, in either regular League or playoff games, shall be suspended automatically for the next game his team plays. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.
If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

What year is it where you live Seb? 1978 or so?
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #57
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

What happening here?

What’s the point of asking about if it was something it wasn’t?

It was a head shot by a repeat offender. Nothing else. I don’t want to see that
Old 05-23-2021, 08:26 PM   #58
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess Kadri has nothing to lose, though maybe there should be risk involved in an appeal. Now that Colorado is finished round one and just waiting, there’s more time to appeal between games. Maybe even enough time for the second appeal to an arbitrator.

The hit itself - I’ve seen worse. You could argue the Bennett hit was more blatant. I do think Kadri shrugged upwards to make sure he hit the head and that was bad. And history comes into it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #59
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Late hit from an almost, if not, blind angle on a player that already shot the puck. I don't like the term unsuspecting especially in the slot but the player was in a compromised position having just shot the puck.

Hey, I love big clean hits and don't think they should ever be taken out of the game. This wasn't a case of 'keep your head up'.

This was not a big clean hit that just happened to clip the player's chin. This was a cheap shot from a cheap shot artist.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:59 AM   #60
BACKCHECK!!!
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me, that honestly looked like Kadri just mistimed a big open ice hit by a split second.

Either way, he popped his guy in the head, and you get suspended for that now. I think most people are ok with that.

But 8 playoff games seems like a pretty spicy suspension for what I saw.