Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default cooking mean/diet suggestions

Hi guys

I thought this might be fun. I've recently decided to completely change my diet and eating habits. I'll give some examples.

3 weeks ago I gave up pop completely
3 weeks ago I stopped buying snacks with sugar like baked goods, or ice cream or whatever
3 weeks ago I decided to up my input of vegetables and fruits and white meats.
3 weeks ago I decided to stop eating red meats.

So of course, i thought it might be cool to share what we think are healthy foods or recipes that you enjoy because frankly I need more variety then salads for example with chicken. or stir fries, or baked chicken breasts with vegetables and rice.

I mean I don't think I am going to change too much that my snacks revolve around fresh fruits like apples and oranges and bananas, though driving by a Tim Hortons is almost Pavlovian.

But for example, tonight I'm making a Thai chicken stirfry with mushrooms, corn water chestnuts and brown right. Not to hard to make, but any healthy recipes or food selection ideas would be healthy.

Just as a side note, no I'm not considering going to a vegetarian diet, though I've cut back on meats, but I still like chicken, pork and seafoods too much.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://goo.gl/images/D3kcnJ
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

A year ago I started getting a serious pot belly. I also had high cholesterol levels. Changed to a pescetarian diet and lost the pot belly and my cholesterol levels are great now. I also gave up soda and any fatty snacks.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #4
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Brown right, indeed.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:06 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Losing one pound of body fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories. To lose two pounds per week, you must drop 1,000 calories per day. That means cutting the calories you eat, increasing the amount of calories burned during your workout—or, most likely, doing some combination of both.

I’ve been losing close to 3 pounds per week. Playing hockey 3 times per week and gym 3 times per week burning at least 700 calories each time.

No sugar, junk food or beer. Breakfast is smoothie and oatmeal, lunch is salads with some protein or low cal sandwich. Dinner is veggie as much as possible, sometimes fish or chicken. Should reach target weight in one month, when I can increase net daily calories.

Will run and bike when hockey is over.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #6
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I downloaded the slow-carb cookbook from rob wolf.com a few years back. It has a lot of simple recipes.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:16 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you died and must be posting from beyond the grave because life without red meat and sugar is a life not worth living.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 PM   #8
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have benefits, check if it covers visits to the Nutritionist or Registered Dietitians.

I started going to one (Group 23 at Winsport) in October last year and it has been an improvement, I just need to normalize my ups and downs (I have a tendency to get complacent and break my habits at times) and be more stable with my eating and training habits.

I got provided templates on the number of servings of carbs, protein, fats, fruits and veggies I need to eat a day. I also got told to not feel guilty if I ate something I shouldn't, just enjoy it and move on.

Hopefully this helps!
Slacker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slacker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #9
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got back into the gym in December after my baby stopped nursing. I took the first 6 weeks to mostly just lift weight and not worry about changing my diet much. But now I’m looking for more results so I’m focusing on diet too. What I did:

Read up on macro-based diets. Get My Fitness Pal and start tracking your food. Figure out an appropriate calorie deficit for yourself (500 cals a day works out to 3500 cals/week= 1lb). It’s a bit of work at the outset to figure out the app and your calorie and macro targets, but once you get the hang of it, it starts to become quite fun actually. I’m aiming for 0.7g of protein per lb of body weight per day. And 0.4g of fat. But mostly I just focus on the protein and usually fall short on the fat intake.

I have a few “bodybuilding” themed cookbooks that I really enjoy (The Ultimate BodyBuilding Cookbook is getting heavy use in my house currently). Most recipes focus on higher protein with a balance of fat and carbs. It’s not keto but upping your protein does help maintain muscle while you’re losing fat. Might also be worth checking out healthy meal prep cookbooks/plans (just to make things easier).

Last edited by Peanut; 03-18-2019 at 10:50 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peanut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went on the whole 30 back in January and dropped 12 lbs but what was most surprising for me is how good I felt after cutting out the grains, beans, dairy and sugar. I’ve pretty much stuck to it now besides the odd treat or beer (sleemans makes clear 2.0 which has 2 grams of carbs) watching a flames game. Totally motivated me to get back to running and hitting the gym, feel the best I have in a long time.
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #11
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why cut beans? Aren't they about the best thing you can eat?
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch out for hidden sugars in things like sauces. Try to use spices instead.

You can make what you think is a very healthy meal but not check the nutritional info on your stir fry sauce or ketchup you add to it.
Most canned/bottled sauces are loaded with sugars and salt.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:47 AM   #13
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Depends what sort of diet you're doing. They're very high in carbs so not good for people doing lower carb diets.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been gym training for a long time and have been with a personal trainer for about a year now (which I highly recommend doing if possible, even just temporarily). I'd like to point out that in terms of losing weight, you don't necessarily have to eliminate carbs from your diet. It's more about the type of carb you eat, when and how much.

A small to medium bowl of oats (with honey and blueberries, or another fruit) first thing in the morning will be the most important carbs that you eat that day (eat a couple eggs for protein intake as well). It will provide you with sufficient stored energy and allows the body to slow release that energy over the next 10-12 hours. Combine this with both cardio exercise (HIIT movement if possible) and resistance training (weight lifting), and you'll find you can lose weight while still giving your body the energy it properly needs from carbohydrates.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I've been playing around with intermittent fasting and low carb/paleo style diets. It's VERY effective from what I can tell.

I'm a pretty active person (dedicated crossfitter 5-6 times a week, ski, hockey and lift on off days) but my diet sucks. I eat anything and everything I can get my hands on, except pop.

The last few months I have been fasting from 8PM to 2PM the next day. My first meal is typically low carb high protein at 2PM, dinner at 5PM which is typically carbs/protein (something like sweet potato, rice and lean meat protein like grass fed beef, fish or chicken) and then from around 6PM to 8PM it's snack time. I'm getting better at it, but I still have my days when ice cream makes its way into my meals. Weird.Same with candy.

Friday night I usually hit up A&W for a beyond burger on the way to Fernie, then eat whatever I can get my hands on Saturday and Sunday AM. Sunday afternoon it's back to fasting.

tl:dr intermittent fasting and reduced carbs works. I've lost 15 lbs the last 3-4 months without major diet changes. Plus I have more time in the AM without having to eat breakfast, so more sleep time.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #16
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Lectins.

https://www.mydomaine.com/what-is-le...-gundry/slide2
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

No, You Probably Shouldn't Follow Kelly Clarkson's 'Lectin-Free' Diet

https://www.livescience.com/62914-wh...t-paradox.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectin

Quote:
Lectins are ubiquitous in nature and many foods contain the proteins. Because some lectins can be harmful if poorly cooked or consumed in great quantities, "lectin-free" fad diets have been proposed, most based on the writing of Steven Gundry. A typical lectin-free diet excludes a range of foods, including most grains, pulses and legumes, as well as eggs, seafood and many staple fruits and vegetables. These foods do not contain harmful levels of lectins when properly cooked, and there is no health benefit to following these diets for most people. A strict lectin-free diet is unbalanced and dangerously low in many nutrients, requiring significant dietary supplementation to maintain health.[19][20]

Last edited by troutman; 03-19-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM   #18
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love beans
Old 03-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
He sure has lots of stuff to sell...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The most important thing is to find meals that are both healthy and that you genuinely enjoy. Also, lots of variety. People who try to make their diets overly strict or force themselves to eat foods they don't like always seem to fail.

The simplest thing IMO is just to reduce carbs. There's nothing evil about carbs, but they are generally a high source of calories in most people's diets, that can be easily cut out. Also avoid sauces with too many calories. I've seen a lot of friends fail horribly with very restrictive diets, because they are essentially covering everything they eat in caesar salad dressing.

There's also no excuse why anyone can't hit the gym 3 times a week for an hour at a time.

Some of my favorites:

- Chicken stir frys: the art to making these good is to make sure you don't dry out the chicken or over-cook the vegetables. There are lots of youtube videos on proper stifry technique: cook the meat separately, cook the food at significantly high temperature, add salt in near the end, etc...

- Salmon. So easy to cook and so tasty. Just throw on a couple of herbs and some lemon, and throw in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

-Vinegar based salads. Find whatever kind of lettuce/green you like the taste of. Make our own dressing with olive oil. Add chicken for protein.

I also think red meat gets a bad rap. When people cut out red meat, that typically means less burgers and fries. The red meat itself isn't always the problem.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote