Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2021, 11:08 PM   #1
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Matthew Tkachuk's Contract Situation

Tkachuk is on pace for 55 points in an 82 game season. His offensive production has declined in two consecutive seasons. His defensive play has also declined.

He signed for 3 years at $7 million per season. Tkachuk is the highest paid player on the team.

The problem is that Tkachuk requires a $9 million QO after next season in order to sign him, otherwise he becomes a UFA. The cap will still be flat at that point.

What is the best way the Flames can handle this?
Tkachuk should be the most valuable asset in the organization, but is he?

He probably still has considerable trade value. I could see teams like Ottawa, Buffalo and Columbus valuing his eventual RFA status.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:09 PM   #2
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Invest another 5-6 figures. He needs a skating coach. Yesterday

RFA status is sadly meaningless once the QO number is unpalatable
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to qualify him, and he will end up just taking his one season at 9 million and walk. Why wouldn’t he test out free agency unless the Flames are prepared to overpay by a large margin.

Tre should almost be fired just for how Tkachuks contract is structured. Just unbelievable, even before knowing what this cap was going to do.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:11 PM   #4
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long term contract with a cap hit of under $9M.

6 years at $48M?
7 years at $53.5M?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:14 PM   #5
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he is dealt at the draft.

He is not a player you build a franchise around.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:15 PM   #6
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Start to talk about long term deal with lower cap hit or he needs to be traded.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:29 PM   #7
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m ok with Eichel coming here if that mean Tkachuk and whatever goes the other way.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:30 PM   #8
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

The risk is there that he leaves as a UFA if he decides to play hardball. I mean, no GM is going to allow that to happen, but the risk is there.

If Treliving can't extend him this off-season (after UFA day, whichever day it falls on now), then I would hope he trades him. I am more worried about Tkachuk's deal than I am about Gaudreau's deal. It better be well under 9 million, however.

Also, he needs to stop with his antics. Everyone talks about how Tkachuk "Drags his teammates into war" - yeah, he absolutely does. Is that really a good thing? Sure it is - maybe in the playoffs or against your main rivals. However, does a team - especially a team like Calgary without much toughness in their top 6 (Tkachuk is the toughest in the top 6, which may be a problem in and of itself) - do well when they are going to 'war' every game on an 82 game series? Dragging your teammates into war means that the other team looks at it as a war, and thus plays those games harder too. Doesn't that set you at a disadvantage? Every other team has some 'easy games' when it isn't too physical, and the other team doesn't exactly hate to lose to you. They may hate to lose, but they don't hate losing against you. That changes with Tkachuk. Suddenly no team wants to lose to the Flames specifically.

At first, I kind of took Tkachuk's side in that player's only meeting where they told him to tone it down. However, they do have a point after all. Why go to war every game in an 82 game season? If Treliving can find bigger, faster and meaner players to play throughout the entire lineup, not just the bottom 6 (and moving Ritchie to the top 6 does NOT count), then maybe.

I am ok with Tkachuk being traded. I am ok with anyone being traded. I do think that Tkachuk's deal was worrisome when it was signed, and it is just more worrisome as time goes by.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:44 PM   #9
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least nobody in here is saying the Flames should just let him walk like in the PGT

Negotiate around 7M on a long term or trade IMO
Old 04-20-2021, 12:48 AM   #10
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't worry about it, just trade him in a package for Eichel
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:50 AM   #11
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade him to Ottawa for Batherson or one of their other young guys.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 12:52 AM   #12
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
Start to talk about long term deal with lower cap hit or he needs to be traded.
Do not want long term. He’s part of the rotten core that needs to go.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 01:49 AM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The contract was structured in a way that makes Tkachuk a free agent sooner rather than later. If he wanted to stay in Calgary long tearm, they would have negotiated something then. Trade him before the next season starts. I like the guy, but he and his agent played Treliving as a fool. Tkachuk's agent went in dry and Treliving thanked him for it.

I think there is slim to no chance that Tkachuk won't just accept his exorbitant QO and leave as a free agent the next year. He won't be negotiating a long term deal with the Flames past his QO when he can just accept the $9 million and leave as a free agent to do that with any team in the league. $9 million for one more season is a good incentive for him to take the risk and bet on himself as a UFA.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:28 AM   #14
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

All one needs to do and look at what his father Keith did. Dude was cut throat when it came to chasing the money. Multiple hold outs. Lots of overpaid seasons. Don't think he ever took a "hometown discount" until his last season with the Blues. One of the highest grossing paid players of all time. There will be no discount coming for the Flames, I am sure of it.

Flames just need to decide if he's part of the solution going forward. While he's had a down season, I absolutely think he's the kind of player you build around. Every season except for last season he was that kind of player. I don't think a season in which literally everybody except for a couple of guys have declined is a reason to suddenly change the team's outlook on Tkachuk.

Strange to see this site turn on somebody so quick, but also not surprising. Not too long ago it was monumental praise for him. Ever since the puck flip it's the complete opposite. I think a full season of Sutter can bring out the best in him. But for sure this season is a write off. I'm only on board to trade Tkachuk IF Sutter had ID'd him as some of the rot. I personally don't feel that's the case but Sutter will find out. If he is, than so be it, ship him off.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 04-20-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 04:41 AM   #15
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Tkachuk set his contract up so he could walk after his $9M QO. I doubt he has any intention of signing a long term deal with Calgary, so you literally have to move him this summer so the acquiring team has 2 years left on his term before UFA, otherwise you decrease his trade value immensely.

Johnny needs to be extended or traded. He has one year left on his deal, so his value has already decreased. The hope this year was that his production returned to, at the very least, increased his trade value. Instead, the opposite has happened. A 60 point pace over a full season for the guy who gets all the premium ice time and PP time is pretty marginal.

Monny is Immovable until he proves himself healthy and productive. He likely stays for now. He is on a 47 point pace over a full season.

There is no deal here for Eichel. That’s even assuming Buffalo will move him. Calgary simply doesn’t have a value to pull they off. Not with these players leading the way.

I don’t think Calgary has any option but to go full rebuild, as they simply won’t get enough value in trading these guys to do a retool.

But riding out another season likely will just put them another season behind the 8 ball with a decreasing asset base. Rebuild? All signs point to yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:53 AM   #16
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I agree that Tkachuk set his contract up so he could walk after his $9M QO. I doubt he has any intention of signing a long term deal with Calgary, so you literally have to move him this summer so the acquiring team has 2 years left on his term before UFA, otherwise you decrease his trade value immensely.

Johnny needs to be extended or traded. He has one year left on his deal, so his value has already decreased. The hope this year was that his production returned to, at the very least, increased his trade value. Instead, the opposite has happened. A 60 point pace over a full season for the guy who gets all the premium ice time and PP time is pretty marginal.

Monny is Immovable until he proves himself healthy and productive. He likely stays for now. He is on a 47 point pace over a full season.

There is no deal here for Eichel. That’s even assuming Buffalo will move him. Calgary simply doesn’t have a value to pull they off. Not with these players leading the way.

I don’t think Calgary has any option but to go full rebuild, as they simply won’t get enough value in trading these guys to do a retool.

But riding out another season likely will just put them another season behind the 8 ball with a decreasing asset base. Rebuild? All signs point to yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe Darryl when he says he came here to win the Stanley Cup.

I also believe he left out “with HIS guys.”

Hell, when you think about it, this team’s most consistent players throughout the Treliving years have been guys Darryl found.

Gio: UDFA
Brodie: 4th round pick - our blue line has been a goddamn nightmare without him, btw.
Backlund: literally hasn’t been a question mark about what he brings for 8 years.

Gaudreau and Monahan are Feaster’s.

Treliving has Tkachuk and Lindholm. Hanifin and Rasmus are okay - I’ve seen nothing out of either approaching what we saw from Brodie and Gio at their zenith.

Tkachuk isn’t a 1st line forward, which means Treliving has acquired exactly one top-3 Forward in seven years.

Just let Darryl do it, or hire Lombardi.
Old 04-20-2021, 05:00 AM   #17
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What do you even get for him in a trade with that contract?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #18
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Long term contract with a cap hit of under $9M.

6 years at $48M?
7 years at $53.5M?
Those are disgusting. He’s not even close to worth that. Especially in the flat cap era.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #19
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

He is having a bad year. I would still sign him long term. Flames need a pest that can play top 6. Those guys don’t grow on trees . That said you trade him if he is needed in a deal for a 1st line center. I certainly wouldn’t be trading him for a different winger.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's too slow to warrant a 7 or 8 year contract. Players that can't skate well are typically going to hit their declines earlier than players that can still create opportunities with their skating. Just look at Monahan. He's pretty well finished as a top 6 player at the age of 26.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote