Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 11:29 PM   #21
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Signed a 12-year extension at 25 years old for the exact same dollar amount as his previous contract. Happily leaving millions on the table while committing his entire career to one organization. Has never once held out, asked to be traded, tried to renegotiate, got drunk and punched out a cabbie, etc etc.

33 years old with an 8.7M cap hit for 4 more seasons, and is still considered an absolute steal at that price. Mind-blowing, to say the least.
in McDavid's defense the well run team Crosby is happy to play for isnt the Oilers in a city that isn't Edmonton
afc wimbledon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #22
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What? No. McHobo never leaves the ice.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I didn’t say left the ice. I said stayed at the bench. He would have got a new stick and then waited for the play to come back to him.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:30 AM   #23
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Signed a 12-year extension at 25 years old for the exact same dollar amount as his previous contract. Happily leaving millions on the table while committing his entire career to one organization. Has never once held out, asked to be traded, tried to renegotiate, got drunk and punched out a cabbie, etc etc.

33 years old with an 8.7M cap hit for 4 more seasons, and is still considered an absolute steal at that price. Mind-blowing, to say the least.
Hard to believe he almost retired a couple of years ago. It's good to see him healthy and playing well
Old 04-16-2021, 02:12 AM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

McDavid and Matthews combined will never have as much post-season success as Crosby.

I'd wager MacKinnon will be more successful than either will be individually also.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 02:13 AM   #25
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There's no player in the league I have ever craved to see in a Flames' jersey than Sid. Even when it's his last season I'll still say the same. The jealousy runs deep that I have for the Pens organization.

Literally everything you want in a franchise player. MVPs galore (both regular and post-season), scoring titles, leadership. No controversy's, no sulking. Makes his linemates better regardless of who they are over the years. A great cap hit to boot.

People used to say Lidstrom was the perfect player on D. For me these days it's definitely Crosby on F. I hate how McDavid has taken some of the limelight from him. Some of it is deserved, sure. But Sid is still IMO the 'perfect' hockey player. Game 7, game on the line and you need a superstar performance? Sid > McD easily.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 02:31 AM   #26
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ great post until the third sentence of the last paragraph dragging McDoofus into the conversation

Irrelevant
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:10 AM   #27
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that's left out is Crosby is actually a very nice, humble and charming person in real life, McHobo looks and acts like an asshat.

If I met McDavid I would ask him if he wanted MY autograph.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 05:04 AM   #28
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
One thing that's left out is Crosby is actually a very nice, humble and charming person in real life, McHobo looks and acts like an asshat.

Everybody loves the guy. All smiles after that play, they’re all yukking it up. Interviews with players he used to play with, behind the scenes clips, all smiles and positivity. He’s an all time great.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:12 AM   #29
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If NHL on Xbox, I still take him #1.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:35 AM   #30
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

McDavid is a creepy dude. He's awkward and even when he tries to act normal it looks forced. He just doesn't come across as genuine like Crosby or Ovechkin. To me he looks like a manufactured player. Bionic legs and hands but all the charm of a robot.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #31
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

His range of skill is just beyond, just on the offensive side alone. He has dangle highlight goals, power goals, one handed shooting goals, mid-air shots, knocking it out of the air to himself to mid-air shoot. Everything.

I agree that we've become almost numb to just how good he is.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iloveicedhockey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #32
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
There's no player in the league I have ever craved to see in a Flames' jersey than Sid. Even when it's his last season I'll still say the same. The jealousy runs deep that I have for the Pens organization.

Literally everything you want in a franchise player. MVPs galore (both regular and post-season), scoring titles, leadership. No controversy's, no sulking. Makes his linemates better regardless of who they are over the years. A great cap hit to boot.

People used to say Lidstrom was the perfect player on D. For me these days it's definitely Crosby on F. I hate how McDavid has taken some of the limelight from him. Some of it is deserved, sure. But Sid is still IMO the 'perfect' hockey player. Game 7, game on the line and you need a superstar performance? Sid > McD easily.
It’s going to be a sad day in hockey when 87 hangs up the skates.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only negative you can say about Crosby is his whiny attitude at the beginning of his career, but he's shaped up.

I maintain that Sid is the most complete player to ever play the game. The perfect player if you will.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #34
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The only negative you can say about Crosby is his whiny attitude at the beginning of his career, but he's shaped up.

I maintain that Sid is the most complete player to ever play the game. The perfect player if you will.
With how rubbish the refs are in this league, and how they let star players get whacked and hacked into oblivion, I don't hold that "whiny attitude" against him at all.

Sidney Crosby is flat out amazing. It's cool to watch generational talent, and I wish I would have watched more Penguins games earlier in his career. I'd love the Flames to have a generational talent at some point in my life.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-16-2021 at 08:40 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:48 AM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
With how rubbish the refs are in this league, and how they let star players get whacked and hacked into oblivion, I don't hold that "whiny attitude" against him at all.

Sidney Crosby is flat out amazing. It's cool to watch generational talent, and I wish I would have watched more Penguins games earlier in his career. I'd love the Flames to have a generational talent at some point in my life.
Like when Crosby whacked that one guy's finger into oblivion

The difference at the beginning of his career is that he was flat out whining for calls. Nowadays, he'll have conversations with refs as a responsible leader and that is the difference. It made it worse for him that Ovi came into the league as a grown ass man and just scored like a machine.

Spoiler!
Old 04-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm....

I thought they weren't allowed to do that?

Didnt he have a goal disallowed earlier on in his career for basically doing the exact same thing? Flying by the bench and grabbing a new stick?

Either way, my opinion has never changed, Crosby is the GOAT, for all kinds of reasons. Its not just about points.

These are the kinds of plays that made us all hockey fans in the first place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 AM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It made it worse for him that Ovi came into the league as a grown ass man and just scored like a machine
Their first 5 seasons are pretty damn close in scoring, Sid with more apples (making those around him better), Ovi with more goals.

05/06: Sid: 81 39 63 102, Ovi: 81 52 54 106

06/07: Sid: 79 36 84 120, Ovi: 82 46 46 92

07/08: Sid: 53 24 48 72, Ovi: 82 65 47 112

08/09: Sid: 77 33 70 103, Ovi: 79 56 54 110

09/10: Sid: 81 51 58 109, Ovi: 72 50 59 109

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sid had the not so insignificant benefit of Mario taking him under his wing (to the extent of billeting him in his rookie season IIRC). A guy who was the very best in the league at times, faced the scrutiny and checking that comes with it, who had faced down some serious health issues, and who had his share of financial dealings forced on him by the team would have good advice for Sid.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #39
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Their first 5 seasons are pretty damn close in scoring, Sid with more apples (making those around him better), Ovi with more goals.

05/06: Sid: 81 39 63 102, Ovi: 81 52 54 106

06/07: Sid: 79 36 84 120, Ovi: 82 46 46 92

07/08: Sid: 53 24 48 72, Ovi: 82 65 47 112

08/09: Sid: 77 33 70 103, Ovi: 79 56 54 110

09/10: Sid: 81 51 58 109, Ovi: 72 50 59 109

What I meant by that statement was the Ovi did his business without complaining, and Sid was known widely as a whiner.

Like I said, he shaped up quickly and is in the GOAT conversation. Ovi is "merely" the GOAT in goals.
Old 04-16-2021, 10:09 AM   #40
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sid had the not so insignificant benefit of Mario taking him under his wing (to the extent of billeting him in his rookie season IIRC). A guy who was the very best in the league at times, faced the scrutiny and checking that comes with it, who had faced down some serious health issues, and who had his share of financial dealings forced on him by the team would have good advice for Sid.
He continued living in Mario's "basement" up until the third year of his second contract. He had already made $20M by then.

I love this quote from a 23 year old Crosby:

Quote:
“There wasn’t a moment where I thought, ‘I need to move out,’ ” explained Crosby, in a lengthy interview before the start of NHL training camps this weekend. “You wait for the right situation and the right place. Obviously, for me, privacy is important – and the area where I wanted to be. I didn’t want to rush into buying a place just to buy a place. I wanted to make sure it was the right place.

“Luckily for me, I’m in a good situation. Typically, people have to move out really quick and rush, but I’m not in that scenario. I don’t want to be half living in it and not have it really be livable yet. I want to make sure I’m comfortable in there.”

Often, as players move into their primes, they say that the years move by quickly, and that they become something of a blur. With Crosby’s schedule and the Gretzky-like demands placed on his time, he says that is exactly how the first half-decade of his career has gone by – in a flash.

“I look at the last two or three years, it almost feels like a couple of those years were like one year put together – everything was so constant, with the Olympics, and everything else that was going on,” he said. “I find myself looking back, thinking ‘that was last year’ and then realizing, ‘No, it was two, three years ago.’ That’s the way it is. That’s why you have to enjoy things as much as you can – because it does go by so fast.”

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2010/09/18...emieuxs-house/
I freely admit to not liking him as much as Ovie for a very long time. He was pushed on us in the media much like SpeedBoy is now, while Ovie seemed more like the under-respected quiet kid who just went out every night and scored goals.

He's won me over as a fan time and time again, though. And I really do wish I appreciated him more in his prime (although it feels like he's still in his prime).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post: