Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2021, 08:48 PM   #61
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
If you go to a courthouse to fight the ticket, you'll probably at least get a pity reduction, just explain that you think the ticket is too expensive for someone in your situation and that you think the officer was egregious in how they decided to enforce the law. Could save you 50% if not thrown out.
You also can get more time to pay by going down to the court house and explaining yourself.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #62
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you go to a courthouse to fight the ticket, you'll probably at least get a pity reduction, just explain that you think the ticket is too expensive for someone in your situation and that you think the officer was egregious in how they decided to enforce the law. Could save you 50% if not thrown out.
This. If you have the time. My mom gets red light tickets (several, over the years) reduced by at least half by going to the courthouse. But she's over 80 and says she's on a pension and so very sorry - YMMV.

Also, if you have a dashcam - maybe the double yellow lines were not so obvious due to snow or glare. It might be worthwhile to check the recording.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Smartcar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #63
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I would say if it is a non-speeding, or nothing overly reckless or endangering, go to the court house and explain. Both times I tried, I had the ticket reduced.

If it isn't out of your way, it's worth the effort. The worst that happens is they say no.

I went to traffic court in Lethbridge before and the judge wasn't having pity on anyone, so I would avoid that. Except for when Lethbridge's racism was fully on display. There were about 15-20 natives there fighting j-walking tickets. The first couple were called up, and said that they were ticketed for crossing downtown near the bus station. People j-way there all day long, white and brown. The judge let them off and asked who else was there for j-walking, and all the natives put the hands up and the judge told them to go home and lambasted the police officer in court who handed out all the tickets.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 02-26-2021 at 03:46 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #64
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Y'all i already posted about this, but the counters are not currently open due to COVID, and the email lines do NOT take kindly to asking to discuss reduction.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:38 AM   #65
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
This might be a great opportunity to discuss anger management techniques and strategies.

What should one do when things get hot and control is fading fast?

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Really the best coping mechanism I can think of is, to take a breath, don't say anything without thinking about it.

Keep in mind that really the person you should be angry with is YOURSELF! It is (or likely was) YOUR fault, not the cop's. He/she is just doing their job (there are bad apples, but dealing with it after is usually the better option).

If you feel they overstepped (or there were extenuating circumstances), take the ticket, and fight it at your court date. Arguing with the cop is not likely to improve the outcome, in fact, it is more likely to make it worse!

Sadly, when incidents happen that involve cops, the person doing wrong (or being questioned) gets too worked up, then the cop gets agitated, and it gets out of control.

There are people who are legitimately afraid of the cops due to experience and media coverage of treatment of certain groups, but there shouldn't be anything to worry about, the bad apples should be few and far--and even if you encounter one, if you comply fully, and don't escalate the situation, there should be no worries (especially in Canada).
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #66
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Here are my three ticket experiences the last number of years.
Number 1: Westbound 112 Ave NW approaching Country Hills BLVD NW. I was coming from the dump and had my three dogs in the car. Not speeding but had numerous dump trucks etc. in front of me. I couldn't see the red light because of the trucks in front of me until I was into the intersection and red light camera violation. Don't recall the exact amount but $325 maybe. I didn't want to slam on the brakes with the dogs in the car. I took a day off and down to the Court House. I thought I got there early but . . . 60 or 70 people already in the line-up. It was reduced to $125. Long and unpleasant day.
Number 2: Going Northbound on Twelve Mile Coulee approaching Crowchild Trail / 1A. Exited to go eastbound Crowchild. Traffic was very busy coming from Cochrane. The merge isn't the best and it goes from merging 90 km/h to 80 km/h. I was just into the 80 km/h and speed trap got me going 95 km/h in the 80 km zone. The Officer wasn't very nice. Had my dogs with me and the windows down. One of my dogs stuck his head out the window and the Officer started to threaten me with a $350 ticket numerous times. It took me awhile to figure out what he was talking about and it was my wagging tail dog with his head out the window. I pleaded Not Guilty and attached a short note of my story. Received a letter by mail of the court date. A couple days later received another letter from the Crown Prosecutor with the ticket Dismissed.
Number 3: I was eastbound 1A leaving Cochrane about a few km's after the hill. Traffic was slow as Police were everywhere. It was a major speed enforcement day. A Sheriff fabricated a ticket. I was directly behind him and knew he was in front of me. He said I was going 128 km/h when traffic was going in the 80 km/h range. Went to Cochrane Court. They offered to reduce it before I was called to the Docket and I declined. When my ticket came up the Sheriff was a no show and Not Guilty.

Last edited by BowRiverBruinsRule; 02-28-2021 at 08:46 AM.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #67
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Since they moved the playground zones to 9:00 PM instead of 1 hour after sunset, I feel like the ticket I received was quite ridiculous.

It was the middle of winter, -30 outside, and dark. Everything including school was locked down from covid, and a cop was still doing his month-end quotas outside of the Connaught Community School in the beltline.

Is this consensus right now that there is no point to going down to the courthouse to argue your ticket anymore?

It sounded like the experiences in this thread are that due to Covid you can no-longer argue in person and they no-longer automatically cut the charges by 50%?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #68
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that it's worthwhile to go in normal circumstances, but when I sent a detailed email in COVID times (the posted alternative the counter) to the traffic line explaining why I thought it should be reduced they pretty much told me to get ####ed.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #69
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have nothing to add but you yelling #### you and giving the finger to the cop pretty much eliminated any chance of fighting the ticket lol.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:28 AM   #70
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Since they moved the playground zones to 9:00 PM instead of 1 hour after sunset, I feel like the ticket I received was quite ridiculous.

It was the middle of winter, -30 outside, and dark. Everything including school was locked down from covid, and a cop was still doing his month-end quotas outside of the Connaught Community School in the beltline.
Another "spirit of the law" versus "letter of the law" scenario that GMG.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 11:33 AM   #71
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I think that it's worthwhile to go in normal circumstances, but when I sent a detailed email in COVID times (the posted alternative the counter) to the traffic line explaining why I thought it should be reduced they pretty much told me to get ####ed.
I know the feeling, I got a ticket for speeding in a playground zone 15 minutes before the zone ended, and 4 days when the dumb new times started. When it was -30 and had been dark out for several hours.

Still my fault no question, but oh boy, I was surely annoyed they made sure to do enforcement in a playground zone when there's nobody around rather than when there's kids there to protect
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #72
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I know the feeling, I got a ticket for speeding in a playground zone 15 minutes before the zone ended, and 4 days when the dumb new times started. When it was -30 and had been dark out for several hours.

Still my fault no question, but oh boy, I was surely annoyed they made sure to do enforcement in a playground zone when there's nobody around rather than when there's kids there to protect
I think I will just pay it - the same thing happened to me and there is no point if they won't reduce it anymore since you can't appear/appeal in person.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #73
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can plead not guilty and you will be given a court date. You can't negotiate the fine anymore though.
I got a ticket last July, had a court date set in December but the courts were closed. I emailed them as per their instructions on the website and ended up having to plead not guilty over email.
I was mailed a court date later on, like a couple months after. It's actually coming up in a couple weeks.
I'm hoping the courts close again and they just cancel the ticket. But if not, I am gonna go and hope the cop is a no show. If all fails I will just change me plea there and pay the fine.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #74
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So in the fall I had a parking officer ticket my motorcycle in front of my house for being too close to the stop sign. Then he came back at 2 in the morning (less than 24 hours later) and gave me another ticket.

I was so pissed off that this ####### thought two tickets was Justice for a residential parking infraction within 24 hours, when it was clear the motorcycle didn’t move that I refused to pay.

Until I went to register a car and had to pay $176 for two mother ####ing parking tickets because someone had a stick up their ass. I’m sure it’s the same guy who issued all the tickets regarding the bus zone.

I know he was doing his job, but Jesus Christ if that’s not a ‘violation’ on every dead end residential road in Calgary.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #75
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Did you expect they’d simply forget about it?

“Ah well mr 81MC never paid those tickets he got. Spose we gotta move on. If only we had some way to enforce this...”
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #76
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's how it works, you can't register until you pay the tickets.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #77
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Aren't they a lot cheaper if you pay right away? Why wait till you renew registration at full cost?
Old 04-14-2021, 10:21 AM   #78
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
So in the fall I had a parking officer ticket my motorcycle in front of my house for being too close to the stop sign. Then he came back at 2 in the morning (less than 24 hours later) and gave me another ticket.

I was so pissed off that this ####### thought two tickets was Justice for a residential parking infraction within 24 hours, when it was clear the motorcycle didn’t move that I refused to pay.

Until I went to register a car and had to pay $176 for two mother ####ing parking tickets because someone had a stick up their ass. I’m sure it’s the same guy who issued all the tickets regarding the bus zone.

I know he was doing his job, but Jesus Christ if that’s not a ‘violation’ on every dead end residential road in Calgary.
Man, that is totally on you for letting your righteous indignation get in the way of actually addressing the problem.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #79
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

probably could have gotten the second ticket tossed.

I got 3 photo radar tickets in the span of 24 hours at the same spot and they tossed the second 2. Roommate got 2. They tossed 1. They were quite sneaky that day b
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #80
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

In between getting a ticket and registration is your opportunity to dispute the ticket

If you don’t plead not guilty, and don’t appear before a justice at the time on the ticket, you will be found guilty by the court.

Then at that point the final decision has been made, you failed to dispute, therefore you are found guilty, and you have to pay.

Seems reasonable that they withhold your registration for the vehicle when you have been found guilty and have not paid
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote