Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #161
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Calgary isn't even more vibrant than Victoria.
It surely is.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:38 PM   #162
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I assume O’Connors would like one of their customers back.

I hope to be listing my 3 bed single family house in Hillhurst in the next 3-9 months if you’re wanting to be adjacent to Kensington. Far enough away from Bigtime over in Sunnyside.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:39 PM   #163
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It surely is.
Downtown Victoria can be pretty vibrant in the sense the summer months, but yeah, overall Calgary has much more going on.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It surely is.
Eh. Maybe? Inner Harbour is pretty bustling, especially in summer. Having lots of tourists around helps, but it's more alive than most of Calgary.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #165
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Downtown Victoria can be pretty vibrant in the sense the summer months, but yeah, overall Calgary has much more going on.
Eww, too many homeless people accosting you for change every two seconds.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #166
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Eww, too many homeless people accosting you for change every two seconds.
Really? There are definitely homeless who sit outside asking for money, but can't say as I've ever been accosted by them.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #167
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know, after having kids it makes having a winter season almost something to look forward to. Whether it is to go skating, skiing, building forts, etc, there are some many fun things to do outside as a family in the winter time. Yes, it can be a bit too long some season but I have come to enjoy it much more.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #168
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll add to those saying you may underestimate the dramatic change having kids brings about. Right now, you and your partner have lots of time, energy, and tons of money. In my experience, with kids you will be spending a lot more time ,energy and money. So anything you can do to get back some time, energy or money is a win.

Suburbs have everything you need in close proximity, hence saving time, energy and money. Plus thats where all the other families and kids are. I dont know many folks raising kids downtown or even inner city really. Those areas are for the DINKS, the wealthy, or those who simply value the location above all else.

Having said all that, I'm a Dad, in my late 30's, and have lived the suburban style life for a long damn time now, in other words I'm both biased and jaded.

Best of luck though!
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:55 PM   #169
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Really? There are definitely homeless who sit outside asking for money, but can't say as I've ever been accosted by them.
Homeless people asking me for money is an emotional accosting.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #170
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Victoria has the option of buggering off to Vancouver or Seattle quite easily though, in a way it gives you the best of all three
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #171
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don't listen to these people. Kids aren't so hard. I'm basically an expert now with my one 3 month old.

Just move back to Calgary, live inner city, and have a baby to see for yourself.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #172
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I lived in Vancouver, Penticton and Calgary. The grey skies were too much for me.

I like living here the most, but would consider having a recreational or retirement property in BC.
Naramata is where I want to be. What life stage were you in when you lived in Penticton?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #173
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The main advantage of Victoria vs Calgary is walkability. Once you are in downtown Victoria there is a lot more to do within a small walking distance. Victoria also has some pretty nice outdoor concerts and festivals.

Victoria definitely has more of a small town feel overall. It is hard to beat having a few beers on a patio overlooking the ocean in the summer though.

Calgary has more going on. Due to distances, I find it always takes a bit more effort to take advantage of what Calgary has. And housing is much better in Calgary, which is the advantage to having everything so spread out.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:11 PM   #174
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Peter12, want to trade places?

I'm kidding... but have never lived anywhere else than Calgary and have always been seduced by Vancouver. Rain doesn't bother me as I am pretty emo most of the time and I love the nature there. Agree with you about the people, but I also dislike most of the morons who live in Alberta (for very different reasons) so call that a wash... The sea and old growth forests call me for sure. I would miss Kananaskis country if I left here... The arctic also feels like a frontier, but I know nothing of the true options there.

I am very sheltered and have a limited imagination as to what is possible, or where else in the world might need a person like me. I'm not even convinced I've discovered what I am good at, and I'm almost 40. Like... am I all of a sudden going to stumble upon this out of nowhere? I oscillate between depressed and accepting of my mediocrity, and getting the little bursts of "well, maybe if I try this..." sort of optimism that I used to get in my younger days. Back when I didn't have so many friends off themselves yet, or run into really exciting and meaningful work opportunities only to find I couldn't hang or fit in... and let me tell you those little bursts don't come very often anymore.

And if I ask that question now - where do I belong? If I listen, the answer is nowhere because I'm a cishet white male approaching 40, otherwise known as the bane of existence.

For me, Calgary feels... isolating. It was like this before COVID, too. Haven't been able to find my niche here, and frankly, being a parent doesn't help this. Your life becomes so focused on them, which has been both rewarding in many ways but very psychologically challenging in others for a person with my neurotype.

Is this a Calgary effect, or a me effect? I've never known anything else on either variable.

What do you and your partner do for work and play? Have you both found your niche, your people? Does fitting in and feeling valued by others matter for both of you? Are you thinking Calgary because you've been here before? Where else are you considering?

Richard Florida writes (or used to) write on this subject. I think about his book "Who's Your City" very often. He talks about the importance of being in the right PLACE to just have the chance to find a meaningful purpose for yourself, a mate/partner, an identity and so forth. It's fascinating research.

I am very nervous about staying here, not for me but for my kids. Like I've said, I already feel like I've shot my shot and am whatever I was meant to become. I'm not thrilled with the result of project "me", but I suppose reconciling that is what the back nine is for. But there's hope for my kids. Am I giving them the best possible chance at a contented life by remaining here? I look around and am deeply unsure of what sort of opportunities my kids will end up being exposed to.

What are we up to here, exactly? What leadership or grand projects inspire you about this place? But, where else is any better, truly? We see these anecdotal opinion pieces about how the city is losing headcount in the 18 - 24 demographic, but what locations are picking up those categories and what are they moving to those places for?

This is a hard question. One I think about often. Interested to hear your answers...

Last edited by SeeGeeWhy; 02-24-2021 at 04:51 PM. Reason: expanded thoughts
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #175
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a bit of waterfront property up Island around Duncan I have been torturing myself looking at occasionally for a few days now, has its own bit of beach, decks over looking the water and I could put 2 or 300 grand in the bank if I ditched Vancouver for it, cant move but hell I'm tempted
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #176
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you’re serious about having kids, that should be guiding this decision. You don’t have to move to a far-flung suburb, but considerations like schools within walking distance, a back yard, playgrounds, bike paths, etc become important.

And unless you despise your parents and in-laws, having them close at hand when raising a young family is a huge quality of life factor.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 02-24-2021 at 04:28 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #177
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine your homerism towards Calgary is the answer. No one objectively looking at things would say Calgary is more vibrant than Vancouver. Calgary isn't even more vibrant than Victoria.
Oof.

That is completely not true. Victoria is widely known as a sleepy retirement community It's boring as hell outside of a couple city blocks
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:31 PM   #178
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because there's no argument, it's personal preference. Seriously, 17th Ave isn't remotely close to as alive as Robson or Granville or Gastown in my experience. Your experience was different. Fair enough, but most people think Vancouver is more vibrant. Calgary is a white collar, suburbia heavy town. Expecting it to be vibrant is unrealistic.
I wouldn't call Robson alive any time past 5pm. Same with Granville. There isn't really any nightlife in Vancouver. The Granville Strip is pretty much decayed or shut down now.

Gastown, fine. Before COVID, it was ok to get a drink or two down there, but there isn't much culture as 99% of the business there caters to the cruise line crowd.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #179
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If you’re serious about having kids, that should be guiding this decision. You don’t have to move to a far-flung suburb, but considerations like schools within walking distance, a back yard, playgrounds, bike paths, etc become important.

And unless you despise your parents and in-laws, having them close at hand when raising a young family is a huge quality of life factor.
I despise my parents and love my in-laws.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:34 PM   #180
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It's boring as hell outside of a couple city blocks
Literally the description of almost every city lol.