Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 11:42 PM   #121
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

M. Tkachuk had better numbers than Brady his first 3 seasons. Brady has a career high 45 points.

Who knows how it turns out but seems like people are piling on. Both guys are good players we aren't talking 1st line Stone vs. 7th Dman ect.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #122
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
M. Tkachuk had better numbers than Brady his first 3 seasons. Brady has a career high 45 points.

Who knows how it turns out but seems like people are piling on. Both guys are good players we aren't talking 1st line Stone vs. 7th Dman ect.
What is funny is Matthew despite how bad he has been this season has the same number of points Brady does in 2 less games
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #123
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a question about Matthew Tkachuk's QO requirement.

Most Flames fans agree that if there is a realistic offer for Eichel, Tkachuk, because of his trade value, would have to be involved (Monahan/Gaudreau + picks/prospects would not get it done).

If the Sabres acquired Tkachuk, and Buffalo gave him the $9 mill QO next year, would the QO have to be one year in length?
Could Tkachuk accept the QO and then force his way into becoming a UFA within a year?
Because if that's the case, I can't see the Sabres wanting to acquire Tkachuk. The Sabres desperately need long term control.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 09:14 AM   #124
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
The Sabres desperately need long term control.
So did the Flames. The reality is that Tkachuk wants to hit free agency as soon as possible to choose his next team.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #125
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames also had zero cap room to sign him to a longer term contract even if that is what both sides wanted.

I'm guessing MT wasn't interested. But then again Gaudreau signed a contract with term even though he desperately wants to go back and play closer to home
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:51 AM   #126
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Flames also had zero cap room to sign him to a longer term contract even if that is what both sides wanted.

I'm guessing MT wasn't interested. But then again Gaudreau signed a contract with term even though he desperately wants to go back and play closer to home
He only gave term to the extent it used up UFA years, since the ones before the Flames would still control him. But I forget - how many years of UFA did Gaudreau give in his last contract? It wasn't many IIRC. I think that not going more years was the tradeoff for a lower cap hit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:14 AM   #127
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So did the Flames. The reality is that Tkachuk wants to hit free agency as soon as possible to choose his next team.
It was more complicated than that. Tkachuk signed a shorter term deal because UFA years were going for an incredible premium for young star players. I know everyone thinks Tkachuk is trash now, but he was a 21 year old who just came off a 77 point season and this is how contracts were breaking down:

Quote:
Mitchell Marner agreed to a six-year, $65.358 million contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs on Sept. 14. Brock Boeser agreed to a three-year, $17.625 million contract with the Vancouver Canucks on Sept. 16. Brayden Point signed a three-year, $20.25 million contract with the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
Players that signed contracts that used up UFA years signed for top dollar like Marner and Rantanen (11+ and 9+) and players that signed for only RFA years were at a significantly lower rate like Tkachuk, Laine, Point, and Boeser. One exception is Kyle Connor who the Jets signed for $7.14M and looks like a smart contract now.

It turned out the Flames were wrong in thinking that it wouldn't be worth it to lock in Tkachuk if it meant they had to move out players to make room under the cap, but everything coming from both the player and the team stated that a long-term deal was nixed because of cap space, not interest from either side.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:29 AM   #128
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Give me a source besides Francis that indicates he desperately wants to go home? I can give you a source that he wants to stay in Calgary, Gaudreau himself.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #129
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Give me a source besides Francis that indicates he desperately wants to go home? I can give you a source that he wants to stay in Calgary, Gaudreau himself.
Would you say acquiring Jack Eichel makes Gaudreau more or less likely to stay in YYC?
Old 05-11-2021, 10:32 AM   #130
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Then we should expect a contract extension announcement any day now....right?

Oh...and as for indications of where he may prefer to play, there is this...

Quote:
“It would be sweet to play [in Philadelphia] some day,” Gaudreau said. “You never know in sports, but it’s a lot of support back here in South Jersey and the Philly area.”

“I’ve got a ton of family here, all my friends,” Gaudreau said. “All my friends come back here, all my good friends, and kids that I’ve played with my whole life are from South Jersey.”
Now add in that if his NTC is allowed to kick in, he names 5 destinations he can go and, yes, Philly is on that list....its not hard to add it all up.

https://twitter.com/user/status/785658738904444929

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...flyers-future/

Last edited by transplant99; 05-11-2021 at 10:41 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Would you say acquiring Jack Eichel makes Gaudreau more or less likely to stay in YYC?
The answer is obviously "more" but the problem is you still don't know for sure, unless you get some sort of comittment beforehand.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was an attempt at sarcasm. IMO there is more evidence to support the notion that Tkachuk wants out than there is for Gaudreau who came here after three years of college and signed a six year deal after his ELC expired.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #133
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was an attempt at sarcasm. IMO there is more evidence to support the notion that Tkachuk wants out than there is for Gaudreau who came here after three years of college and signed a six year deal after his ELC expired.
Probably some of the concern is the last minute nature of his first signing and the fact they had to in effect give up a year of ELC to convince him, plus the holdout through training camp before signing his one RFA deal (and then getting a deal that only used RFA years if my math is right).
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #134
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Either way, it makes it less likely that Johnny walking will decimate our offence.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #135
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know this is getting into speculation, but if you look at Gaudreau's relatives (his sister and uncle) on twitter, they're all huge Flames fans through and through.
Also they all hate Francis, but that's besides the point.

Pat Steinberg mentions, almost on a weekly basis, that he has very strong reason to believe that Gaudreau wants to re-sign.

Not only do I think Gaudreau is more likely to re-sign than Tkachuk would be (if Tkachuk were UFA), I also think Gaudreau would re-sign are a more reasonable amount.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #136
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm on the keep Johnny trade Tkachuk bandwagon.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Azhouse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 12:02 PM   #137
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ideally I'd keep both. But for the type of moves the Flames likely are going to make this offseason, I'm expecting that it would require moving either one of them to get a good enough return back. In that case I keep Gaudreau. But if there's a way to do retooling moves while keeping both of them and Lindholm, I'm strongly in favour of that.

I'm optimistic that Tkachuck hasn't plateaued, and can play closer to what his 2019 season indicated. He's almost like a Bennett where if you get him along with players that play with pace and skill, I think he'll have strong chemistry and stack the points.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #138
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

So people want to deal the guy the team has control over beyond next season, and keep the guy who not only can walk after next season but has a 5 team trade to list and has actually publicly stated there is at least one other destination he would like to play...never mind their 5 year age difference?

I really dont get it.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #139
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eff it. Trade 'em both.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #140
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
I'm on the keep Johnny trade Tkachuk bandwagon.

Tkachuk has been frustrating opposite of clutch

Disappears during the post season (5 pts in 15). Brutal, especially down the stretch this year

Good game against Ottawa on Sunday, though. When it’s too little too late. Where was that guy all year?

One note in his defence. Conroy thinks he is the kind of guy that thrives on fans. That may be, that he elevates his game when they respond to his antics. But pretty much all of the other good players in the league seem to be able to get their games up

9 million looks a lot worse than 7 too
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote