Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 PM   #2641
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Almost every bike store recommends you to get a tune up right after the breaking in period. When the bike has been sitting in a shop after it's put together, nothing is moving. After you have ridden it a few times the chain has stretched. If you have brake and/or shifting cables, they too have stretched. Most bike shops, and stores that sell bikes, give a free tune up in the first 30 days so they can tighten all of the cables and moving parts that are supposed to loosen up as you begin to ride the bike. It shouldn't be disappointing. It's how bikes are designed. Would you want worn cables and chains put on a new bike?
My disappointment lies with how busy bike stores are even for service appointments these days. It's a bit more challenging than normal times to get a quick fix.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:52 PM   #2642
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Sounds like you need someone who knows STI shifting come give it a whirl and then, if necessary, show you how it works. It might also just not be tuned well anymore regardless of how many rides it’s been on. My impression is that you may not be doing a complete shift, maybe not peddling the same time so that the drivetrain can actually complete the shift, and maybe not going at a sufficient speed to need to shift to the harder gears.

If you’re in the general vicinity (plus minus ~10mins) of Crowfoot shoot me a PM and maybe I can have a look. Can meet at some park or parking lot and do the whole masking and spacing thing.
I live in a different city. Thanks for the offer, it was very kind and above and beyond.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #2643
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I live in a different city. Thanks for the offer, it was very kind and above and beyond.
If you have the equivalent of a Kijiji or Marketplace there are often dudes that offer quick tuneups for $30-40. It might be worth doing that instead of being frustrated and not using your fun-bike for your own health and sanity.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 PM   #2644
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

The derailleur issue sounds like its just out of tune. I would suggest playing with the barrel adjuster after watching a YouTube video on derailleur adjustment so you understand how it works. If the tuning is only slightly off the barrel should allow for a no tools fix.

Otherwise, adjusting a derailleur can be a pain, but doable without a bike stand and with just a Phillips screwdriver or multitool. YouTube - particularly the Park Tool video series - is a savior for these adjustments.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #2645
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you can get to the LBS (preferabbly where you bought the rig) first thing in the morning, i would say there is a high chance of them being able to make a quick adjustment on it almost on the spot as most shops usually have a couple of mechanics to look at bikes quickly
Old 04-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #2646
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
The derailleur issue sounds like its just out of tune. I would suggest playing with the barrel adjuster after watching a YouTube video on derailleur adjustment so you understand how it works. If the tuning is only slightly off the barrel should allow for a no tools fix.

Otherwise, adjusting a derailleur can be a pain, but doable without a bike stand and with just a Phillips screwdriver or multitool. YouTube - particularly the Park Tool video series - is a savior for these adjustments.

Actually...*puts on bike nerd hat* Shimano doesn't use phillips screws. They use JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) screws which look like phillips but a slightly different. A JIS screwdriver will fit in the screw perfectly...but a phillips works too. If you are as anal as I am when it comes to bikes, here is the screwdriver I use.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vessel-900-Meg.../dp/B000TGF8YI
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #2647
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

And if you really want to nail your Ikea assembly, invest in Posidriv!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rives#Pozidriv
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #2648
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

A little late getting back into this thread this year- anyone know who is booking tune ups (road bike)? Bow Cycle and The Bike Shop aren't. Haven't heard back from Calgary Cycle.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:26 PM   #2649
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i am guessing most shops are now slammed. if you are really in a jam, try searching kijiji or FB marketplace as it seems there are lots of garage bike mechanics out there. als try your neighborhood FB page and search for bike mechanics/tuneup etc.

There is also mobile shops like velofix that come to you.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #2650
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ i am guessing most shops are now slammed. if you are really in a jam, try searching kijiji or FB marketplace as it seems there are lots of garage bike mechanics out there. als try your neighborhood FB page and search for bike mechanics/tuneup etc.

There is also mobile shops like velofix that come to you.
Also might have better luck going to Airdrie or Cochrane, also super busy but maybe a little quicker
Old 04-19-2021, 02:44 PM   #2651
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try Joe's Garage on the Bow pathway near the 10th street bridge:

http://joesgarage.mobi/
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #2652
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bow Cycle (Bowness) was closed by a Covid outbreak.

Quote:
Our Bowness location is also ready to reopen, in a limited capacity. We will continue to run curbside pickup and sales assistance, along with service pickups and service appointment dropoffs. A controlled number of customers will be allowed into the store for sales assistance. Fingers crossed, we should have our phones back up and running on Wednesday, April 21st!

Our Bowness location hours for this week are:

Monday April 19 - Closed
Tuesday April 20 - Friday April 23 - Open 11-6
Saturday April 24 & Sunday April 25 - Open 11-5
https://www.bowcycle.com/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #2653
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Harassment video from Edmonton area:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.5395788

It's been a while since I've personally had a really aggressive driver, but just this year have already dealt with a few really oblivious ones turning in front of me (I had right of way and they blew stop signs), or pulling out from parked position as I was besides them, or the usual uncomfortably close passes. In the distant past I've had stuff thrown at me or my group, been forced off the road, been verbally accosted/abused, and had a cycling buddy ahead of me hit by a trucks mirror (after it suddenly veered across the wide highway shoulder).

With all the new cyclists, thanks to Covid, this may be an interesting year. I sure hope the media and the police "get it right" and stop blaming cyclists or making presumptions of guilt.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:04 PM   #2654
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cyclists have been doing it for years now, but does anyone know if the westside kings church in springbank hills is generally ok with cyclists parking in their lot before heading out west? Obviously an empty lot for the most part right now, but still want to be sure the church is ok with this. I am tired of cycling through westhills. I know a number of people also park at the Eden Brook funeral home on lower springbank, but that just doesn't feel right!
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:31 PM   #2655
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I took my bike back to the shop I bought it from. The agreed to look at it and get it back to me same day.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:07 PM   #2656
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks to k-trains post, and last night I was riding out by Ralph Klein park and did not even hear a vehicle approaching me, I think I will buy one of those harming devices for my gravel grinder.

Took my altitude out tonight for a twirl in bow bottom flats, and wow, were the trails in great shape.

Had a great tail wind and managed the McKenzie towne home stretch in 36 seconds on my mtn bike. My best time to date is 31 on my gravel grinder.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:08 PM   #2657
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'd like to replace the fork on my 2011 Kona Nunu, but I'm worried that I won't order the right one. Can anyone tell me how I might look into this further?

I believe the existing stock fork is 26, 1 1/8, and 100mm of travel, but I'm not 100% what all that means.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:45 PM   #2658
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ 1 1/8 is the steerer tube.

The 100mm is the amount of travel in the fork

What kind of fork are you considering purchasing
Old 04-24-2021, 09:25 PM   #2659
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I asked the same question in a facebook group and the one that was suggested to me was this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11477524034...3tp9WTgy-GEVDg

Thanks for the information about the steerer tube. I just want to be certain that I'm ordering a fork that will work. If I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I'd post a picture of my bicycle along with a close up of the existing shock and the "26x2.10 30 TPI CASING 40-65PSI" on it.

The existing fork is a Rock Shox Dart 2, which have garbage reviews online. I'm having trouble getting the lockout feature to work....the bike just bobs up and down when I want to turn the fork off with the little "lockout" dial.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #2660
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know any companies that have an SRAM GX or better 12-speed chains? I thought I found two in the city (a GX and X01) but both stores cancelled my order .

The only one I've found is chain reaction wants 250 for the only chain they have in stock, and that is too rich for me.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote