Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2023, 09:30 PM   #1
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default AHS-mandated closure of Made by Marcus Hillhurst

This seems like it deserves its own thread due to the popularity of Made by Marcus. It appears that AHS has closed MbM's Hillhurst location due to a mouse infestation. The inspection report can be found here:

https://ephisahs.albertahealthservic...7-000d3af490cc

On Instagram, MbM was claiming that it was due to neighboring construction, but sounds like quite the cop-out. This is disappointing news for one of Calgary's most popular restaurant establishments.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:56 PM   #2
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Construction often will cause mice infestations. It gives them far more ways to get into the building. I obviously can't comment on this specific case.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:01 PM   #3
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

That place is a gold mine - always lined-up.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 11:13 PM   #4
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

As well as Seon Koren BBQ near SAIT. I believe closed for the same reason.

Mice are becoming such an issue in these parts. At least it's better than rats.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 11:23 PM   #5
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
As well as Seon Koren BBQ near SAIT. I believe closed for the same reason.

Mice are becoming such an issue in these parts. At least it's better than rats.
All restaurants and grocery stores will have mice eventually. It's a matter of how they control the breakouts when they happen.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2023, 11:43 PM   #6
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Mice? Ironically, the Hillhurst’s Manager’s name is Kat
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Framing it as a “cop out” is a bit much, as they actually owned up to the problem, identified the cause, and were honest in that nothing is actually made at that location (it’s all shipped in).

Hopefully there aren’t too many people who try to hold this against them for no reason, as they’re a strong local business that gives back to the community and I’ve heard nothing but great things from people who know the owners and managers.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2023, 08:17 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
All restaurants and grocery stores will have mice eventually. It's a matter of how they control the breakouts when they happen.
They need to get back to having a store cat.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Framing it as a “cop out” is a bit much, as they actually owned up to the problem, identified the cause, and were honest in that nothing is actually made at that location (it’s all shipped in).

Hopefully there aren’t too many people who try to hold this against them for no reason, as they’re a strong local business that gives back to the community and I’ve heard nothing but great things from people who know the owners and managers.
The inspection report and comments from ex-staff state the basement is used for food prep. The inspection report was also a demand inspection meaning someone reported it.

Appreciate them getting ahead of the curve but seems to be a fair bit of contradiction between their statement and the inspection report.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 10:32 AM   #10
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A few claims on reddit:

- they do make waffle cones on site. Unclear whether its in the basement or main floor, but I'd guess main floor since it smell strongly 'waffly' sometimes.

- staff are treated poorly. But that's the industry as a whole, so probably not a great reason to single out MBM, but it sounds likely he at least isn't one of the few good ones

So I guess it kinda depends on how much they actually use the basement. I would guess it's just storage, but who knows?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 12:39 PM   #11
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The Reddit discussion definitely has a much different view of the business and the owner.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #12
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mandate?! Oh boy I can hear the trucks revving
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:37 PM   #13
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Oof, that Reddit is not great. Have only heard the opposite but a lot of that would be pretty concerning if true.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:37 PM   #14
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
The inspection report and comments from ex-staff state the basement is used for food prep. The inspection report was also a demand inspection meaning someone reported it.

Appreciate them getting ahead of the curve but seems to be a fair bit of contradiction between their statement and the inspection report.
It's a really bad look on Marcus and very disappointing to have had such a misleading "closure notice" on the MbM socials
Old 09-17-2023, 06:50 PM   #15
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
It's a really bad look on Marcus and very disappointing to have had such a misleading "closure notice" on the MbM socials
They are in damage control so anything they put out to the public is going to be maximum spin so that they maintain most of the customer base.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 07:59 PM   #16
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
They are in damage control so anything they put out to the public is going to be maximum spin so that they maintain most of the customer base.
For sure, but something like a closure mandate from AHS can easily be searched and fact-checked. They would have had to have thought about how easily they could have be caught in lie on this one. It's just really bizarre