Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2023, 06:37 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
It depends on which Walmart.

Westbrook? Tens of thousands of hours of content right there.
I want to be able to log in to an Alabama Walmart....if thats the kind of show their recreational boating scene puts on I cant even imagine what their residential retail shopping must be like.

The parking lot cameras alone....my Lord...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #42
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Personally, I feel so underwhelmed by the saturation of streaming. I feel like they prey on the "low monthly payment" model to keep people paying. Everyone sees $10-$20 a month and just keeps paying it.

But what are you really getting? It feels like each service offers approximately one excellent movie every 3-4 months, a handful of mediocre to decent ones and maybe 1 - 2 good TV show series at any given moment. Maybe Im out to lunch and out of touch with what's good, but I feel like the value is abysmal with the big 5 streaming services.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:14 PM   #43
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Personally, I feel so underwhelmed by the saturation of streaming. I feel like they prey on the "low monthly payment" model to keep people paying. Everyone sees $10-$20 a month and just keeps paying it.

But what are you really getting? It feels like each service offers approximately one excellent movie every 3-4 months, a handful of mediocre to decent ones and maybe 1 - 2 good TV show series at any given moment. Maybe Im out to lunch and out of touch with what's good, but I feel like the value is abysmal with the big 5 streaming services.

It’s so subjective though. I think it depends what you find entertaining. I have a huge watchlist on Crave and Disney+, so the new content isn’t a big deal because I haven’t even exhausted what is on them now. Plus there is also good stuff on Kanopy, CBC Gem, Tubi which are all free.

I don’t think I would re-subscribe to Netflix though, it’s problem is basically what you described, its problem is the good content is sparse and not a lot being added that I’d want to watch.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:26 PM   #44
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It’s so subjective though. I think it depends what you find entertaining. I have a huge watchlist on Crave and Disney+, so the new content isn’t a big deal because I haven’t even exhausted what is on them now. Plus there is also good stuff on Kanopy, CBC Gem, Tubi which are all free.

I don’t think I would re-subscribe to Netflix though, it’s problem is basically what you described, its problem is the good content is sparse and not a lot being added that I’d want to watch.
Give me some Crave recommendations!!
Old 08-07-2023, 10:04 PM   #45
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give me some Crave recommendations!!

For shows: True Detective, Band of Brothers, Wellington Paranormal, Flight of the Conchords, Chernobyl, Righteous Gemstones, Eastbound & Down, The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Handmaid’s Tale, Succession, Letterkenney, How To With John Wilson, Last of Us, Peacemaker.

But, like I said it’s subjective and I have no idea what you’ve watched or not.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:13 PM   #46
jayswin

Exp:

Thanks for that. I'll list it out

Watched - Last of Us, Chernobyl, Eastbound and Down, Letterkenney. Succession I'm going to try another go, but not quite sure where I left off, some time in the first season.

I might just pick a point and start again. How was Righteous Gemstones? I've heard good things.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:15 PM   #47
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sopranos is probably the greatest show of all time. The acting and writing it's amazing. Edie Falco and James Gandolfini giving a acting lesson.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:17 PM   #48
jayswin

Exp:

I never gave that a shot, I guess I could.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:32 PM   #49
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I never gave that a shot, I guess I could.
Seasons 1 starts off a bit slow but it's because they are building the story it takes off midway and season 2 is my favourites because they introduce a character that you will absolutely love. Each season is 13 episodes it's like a movie each time.

They way they keep it serious with the mob stuff but throw in comedy is incredible.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:17 AM   #50
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Youtube Premium
Crave/Prime
Netflix

I'd take Youtube over everything else combined, it's the best learning resource ever developed and I prefer niche, creator-driven content over traditional shows.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #51
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Well that's a ringing endorsement YouTube should be proud of.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #52
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Well that's a ringing endorsement YouTube should be proud of.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people"
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:51 AM   #53
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spotify is worth every penny. I don't care that it rips off artists. unlimited music is worth the luxury.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #54
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Spotify is worth every penny. I don't care that it rips off artists. unlimited music is worth the luxury.
Spotify is good. I've learned that if you don't listen to podcasts, however, Tidal is a better overall experience.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:06 AM   #55
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
Spotify is good. I've learned that if you don't listen to podcasts, however, Tidal is a better overall experience.
What I love about sportify is the social element. I like making the joint playlists with friends or checking on what my friends are listening to.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #56
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, those are cool features.

I never really considered myself an audiophile but you can definitely hear the difference between the two apps, and now I think I'd find it hard to go back to spotify.
Old 08-08-2023, 10:25 AM   #57
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people"
"Small mind, gigantic penis"

I do agree with you about YouTube. It's endlessly entertaining and informative but it doesn't curate the truth.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 08-08-2023 at 10:30 AM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #58
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Apple's nailing it, so I'll keep them around.

There's some content I want to watch on Netflix, so I'm thinking of signing up again. It's been about 7-8 months. But I'll probably wait until my Disney annual subscription is up sometime this fall.

I haven't missed Netflix at all. Nothing must-see has aired in all this time, and I imagine I'll feel the same with Disney as their content's been quite mediocre, save for Andor.

Crave is another one I probably won't renew for a while. I think I'm up in a month or so.

I did fall for a series of promos from Paramount recently. First they sent me a 50% off for three months, so I resubscribed. Then about a month ago they sent me another promo to extend that promo for one year.

Prime is probably the worst of all of the streaming services, but I seem stuck with Amazon forever.

I would torrent the odd thing if I knew how anymore. What happened to all the torrent sites the last few years?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:51 PM   #59
jayswin

Exp:

What do you recommend on Apple lately? Have it until the end of August, was going to cancel after that.
Old 08-09-2023, 12:30 AM   #60
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^
The last Apple TV shows I watched were Hijack, Silo, Slow Horses, Black Bird, and I believe Shrinking - and they all ranged from very good to excellent.

If you haven't yet watched For all Mankind, I think that's my favourite show in the last decade or two.

Foundation was a bit of a letdown, but I didn't know how they were going to pull it off based on the books spanning millennia. I haven't begun season 2 yet.

There are probably more, I just have to go downstairs and check my 'what I watched and when journal'
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: