Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2021, 10:44 PM   #161
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Turned down the renewal package for every game on NHL TV for $99.99 USD minus $10 if I use my Discover Card... really glad I did.

Life is way too busy right now to waste my time watching hockey on TV and this team always breaks my heart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 10:46 PM   #162
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Tanev made some great plays. I think he'd look better on a pair with Giordano, though.

The Flames got outshot dramatically tonight when Tanev was on the ice but I wonder how much that had to do with how much ice time his pair shared with the Lucic line.
Lucic had to be about the worst forward.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:53 PM   #163
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Lucic had to be about the worst forward.
Not even a contest. He was atrocious.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #164
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Gaudreau continues his soft plays & constant turnovers from last year I would like to see Mangiapane or Dube gifted more ice time & benefit of the doubt. I understand Gaudreau has in the past looked world beating elite, but how long has it been now since he was a ‘gamechanger’? It’s overdue to give some of those favourable zone starts to players willing to go to dirty areas and take a hit to make a play, neither of which Johnny Hockey has ever been willing to do.

This pouting aside, I have high hopes for this roster and believe the emergence of younger guys are going to push the team to a higher level.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #165
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yay!

- hockey is back
- the Flames got a point in game 1!

Could be worse. Onward and upward
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:35 PM   #166
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

As much as I am disappointed this is basically preseason form with the minimal camp and no games against other teams before regular season. I though we looked pretty good for being that rusty. Obviously lots to fine tune and improve on, and some of those random ass passes to no one could please stop. But overall I think it'll be a solid season.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
SnipeShow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2021, 11:51 PM   #167
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone is dumping on Leivo, but I thought he was really dangerous tonight. If anything, he was overskating his linemates too much.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:56 PM   #168
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Leivo was alright. Important to note that he is kind of in the same boat as Valimaki — tonight was his first game since Dec. 19, 2019. Long time without playing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 12:03 AM   #169
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorp, how was Nordstrom's game tonight in your books?
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #170
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

He was not good at 5v5 and he was good on the PK. He seems to be effective in short bursts and can win the odd battle but he doesn't really have the ability to sustain anything.

I think Simon is probably better. I would go with these lines next game:

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube
Gaudreau - Monahan - Simon
Mangiapane - Backlund - Bennett
Lucic - Ryan - Leivo

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 12:59 AM   #171
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Turned down the renewal package for every game on NHL TV for $99.99 USD minus $10 if I use my Discover Card... really glad I did.

Life is way too busy right now to waste my time watching hockey on TV and this team always breaks my heart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the update

they lost one game in OT...not going to run the table

spend your money how you like but seems silly to come to a game thread and tell everyone you are too busy to watch the game
Old 01-15-2021, 01:24 AM   #172
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was the very first game. It was really good entertainment. Sucks to lose, but it was in OT. Ward tried out a lot of things.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 01-15-2021 at 01:27 AM.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 01:42 AM   #173
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1989 View Post
I watched the first on pvr, then saw the score by mistake. I am skipping watching the last two periods just to keep the good vibes alive. If you ask me, feeling great about this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
It was the very first game. It was really good entertainment. Sucks to lose, but it was in OT. Ward tried out a lot of things.

It was a wild scene. Nothing from which you can draw any meaningful long term conclusions

Lucic, mere seconds after making a bad play, showed immediately with a downward stick slap, that he understood what, I don’t know, 30 000 armchair quarterbacks would love to stop the broadcast to tell him

There is the usual hyperbole here. Nothing to see, for practical purposes
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 02:23 AM   #174
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Oh boy, I forgot how toxic Game Threads are after a loss!
Old 01-15-2021, 03:42 AM   #175
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

That'll teach me for being optimistic on a home opener. Typical Flames loss where they are up by a couple early, only to choke it away as the game goes on. At least they got a point.

Markstrom looked shaky at points but made some greats saves in the 3rd. The 3rd goal wasn't a very good one although it was a 5 on 3 so I guess he gets a pass. I hope him wandering around isn't a sign of things to come. Got really lucky with both Gio and Andersson saving a couple empty nets.

Felt like the game picked up where they left off since the last time the teams met so it was a fast paced entertaining game. Nasty hit by Hanifin and I wonder if the league will look at it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:21 AM   #176
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames were fantastic in the first period and were unlucky to be only two goals up. The Jets seemed to have no answer.

You could see immediately in the second period, even before the goal 34 seconds in, this was going to be different. It is very frustrating knowing what is going to happen. Had the Flames just put in an average performance from the second onwards, they'd have won this game.

They didn't, were poor throughout and consequently were lucky to leave with a point.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #177
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Outside of the first this game was pretty meh. I'll give the team a few games to shake off the rust before I make any judgements... normally this would've been a preseason game. Although I do wish we could win an opening night game.

I liked Tanev quite a bit, Markstrom was solid. I thought Bennet had some really nice plays. That hit from behind by Hanifin was bad...I thought Andersson looked really good too... he should've scored on that open net though... I think we would've won that game if he did. Instead it resulted in a goal the other way.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #178
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
Mangiapane-Backlund-Bennett look good as a line. Ryan steadied the 4th line pretty well. Tkachuk had a rough 2nd + 3rd, lots of fumbling the puck and no-look passes to no one. Gaudreau and Monahan still need a babysitter and Leivo probably ain't it. Markstrom looks solid. I liked Tanev, Nesterov looked solid, Valimaki's got a lot of poise with the puck.

Lot of potential but lots of kinks to iron out. I worry this is going to be a repeat of last year's solid team with a complete no-show from the top line, and we have to disassemble the rest of the roster to get Gaudreau and Monahan going.
All I have to add is that Tkachuk would be an even better player if he stopped attempting the flashy junior hockey moves. For years he's squandered a lot of good offensive chances and offensive zone possessions trying to make fancy passes when a simple pass would suffice. It's a really frustrating part of his game.

When you consider the randomness of NHL season openers it's actually very impressive to move into 2nd spot in North American professional sports history when it comes to opening day futility.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-15-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #179
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski got two points in his first game with the Pens. Hahahahahaha
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #180
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I understand the passion we all have for the team. We want them to do well but there are too harsh too negative comments (I can be guilty of this too). Not trying to tell people how to post but I think team needs support - easy to be emotional. I think every player on that team cares and I think they are all great players. Lucky to have them to root for. It's evident how much they want to win for the city (and for each other and themselves - very competitive people). Still really excited for the season, for the next game, to watch all these guys play and have fun. As Treliving said they will do well if they stay present. Focus on good, correct the small things and this team will roll.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 01-15-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote