Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #221
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
I made this same point last night in the Minneapolis thread over in OT, called out racism as I saw it, and had two posters calling for me to be banned or have the moderators intervene.

But this problem, it’s not just that racism exists. It’s just not posters who espouse toxic and hateful views as we’ve seen in this thread or in many of the other threads relating to these issues. It’s that those same people who espouse these views want to shut the conversation down. They get mad at people speaking out or protesting, and not from a place of “more should be done” but from a place of “nothing should be done at all.” They want to shut down broader conversations and even shut down conversations here. And should you call racism as you see it? It’s not just those people who rush to deny it, you’re also told by others that “racism” is a bad word, and you shouldn’t use it so casually.

Why is it that every time a Black man is shot or killed by police, these people are solely interested in excusing the police? Why must every Black victim have their criminal history explored in detail? Why must every video be analysed to find reason to justify a Black man shot in the back? And most importantly, why do none of the same people that do this treat the White shooter the same? A Black man who is killed after forging a cheque will have his entire history on display and be given every possible reason why it might have been ok to choke him to death. But a White killer? The only word from any of these people (literally the only thing said by any of those who constantly justify every execution by cop) about Kyle Rittenhouse? “It’s an open carry state, but he was 17 so I guess he was breaking the ‘law’”

We all know what this is. As Noah says, we also know why this is. It isn’t about the gun or the actions. And to those who think it’s a “US problem”: wake up. It’s a problem here. It’s a problem that affects all of us. You don’t have to go to the US to see the type of thinking that makes this problem real, you can see it right here on CalgaryPuck if you want.

Don’t be like these people. Don’t look to shut the conversation down. Do what Jiri did and let these views exist but call them exactly as they are. Call out hate. Call out racism, call out homophobia, call out sexism. But, for this issue, focus on calling out racism today. Because it’s not a problem in some other country, it’s a problem right in front of your face. And we may not have the money or the resources to make meaningful change, but the least we can do is call out racism as we see it.

Will any of this change with the NHL going away for two days? Probably not, so do something yourself and start small.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #222
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I made this same point last night in the Minneapolis thread over in OT, called out racism as I saw it, and had two posters calling for me to be banned or have the moderators intervene.

But this problem, it’s not just that racism exists. It’s just not posters who espouse toxic and hateful views as we’ve seen in this thread or in many of the other threads relating to these issues. It’s that those same people who espouse these views want to shut the conversation down. They get mad at people speaking out or protesting, and not from a place of “more should be done” but from a place of “nothing should be done at all.” They want to shut down broader conversations and even shut down conversations here. And should you call racism as you see it? It’s not just those people who rush to deny it, you’re also told by others that “racism” is a bad word, and you shouldn’t use it so casually.

Why is it that every time a Black man is shot or killed by police, these people are solely interested in excusing the police? Why must every Black victim have their criminal history explored in detail? Why must every video be analysed to find reason to justify a Black man shot in the back? And most importantly, why do none of the same people that do this treat the White shooter the same? A Black man who is killed after forging a cheque will have his entire history on display and be given every possible reason why it might have been ok to choke him to death. But a White killer? The only word from any of these people (literally the only thing said by any of those who constantly justify every execution by cop) about Kyle Rittenhouse? “It’s an open carry state, but he was 17 so I guess he was breaking the ‘law’”

We all know what this is. As Noah says, we also know why this is. It isn’t about the gun or the actions. And to those who think it’s a “US problem”: wake up. It’s a problem here. It’s a problem that affects all of us. You don’t have to go to the US to see the type of thinking that makes this problem real, you can see it right here on CalgaryPuck if you want.

Don’t be like these people. Don’t look to shut the conversation down. Do what Jiri did and let these views exist but call them exactly as they are. Call out hate. Call out racism, call out homophobia, call out sexism. But, for this issue, focus on calling out racism today. Because it’s not a problem in some other country, it’s a problem right in front of your face. And we may not have the money or the resources to make meaningful change, but the least we can do is call out racism as we see it.

Will any of this change with the NHL going away for two days? Probably not, so do something yourself and start small.
Thank you for being an ally and calling people out on this.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #223
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’m going to wait and see if pro sports is still serious about racism a year or two from now.

I have my doubts. When it starts costing people money that’s when we will see some real views
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:31 PM   #224
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
This isn't politics. This is human rights.

It is absolutely politically driven. Since when did any form of American government give a damn about a black man? It’s blatantly obvious. I don’t care how many people here think they know what’s best and how many likes they get on a comment. Every time someone on here says something that might be a little more honest and go against the grain, people call them ignorant or insult them. If you look at the facts and the stats, you can see there is a major problem in most of the black communities, and it isn’t the police.

Nobody wants to address the fact that when all those protests were going on, black communities were being looted and burned to the ground by the very people that should have been helping protect them. That is a major problem.

Read up on some black history. Hell; there are even a few highly intelligent men that are standing against the black lives matter movement. But msm won’t report on those people. Read up on cole Hughes, thomas sowell, John McWhorter, glen loury. Sam Harris, gad saad. Jesus Christ if you need a celebrity , and for some reason people do.. look at Terry crews, Morgan freeman.

Yes there is a problem with police. But there is a major problem with the culture in allot of those communities too. But nobody wants to address that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:40 PM   #225
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad this seems to have come from the players. My initial thought was that it would be a hollow gesture directed from the NHL.

It took ~24 hours. That's fine by me, just like it took the NHL an extra 24 hrs to follow suit with postponing their season. In both cases hockey was far enough from the epicenter that I think it was reasonable for them to take a day to 'get it right' (even though there isn't a particular right/wrong here imo).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #226
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Schtick? It's hardly deflection to say baseball is actually last on this...they are still playing games in the US and won't have a single day off.
Where are you going with this? I guess you want to be able to say MLB is more tone deaf? Just curious why that would matter if it is the case.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:44 PM   #227
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
It is absolutely politically driven. Since when did any form of American government give a damn about a black man? It’s blatantly obvious. I don’t care how many people here think they know what’s best and how many likes they get on a comment. Every time someone on here says something that might be a little more honest and go against the grain, people call them ignorant or insult them. If you look at the facts and the stats, you can see there is a major problem in most of the black communities, and it isn’t the police.

Nobody wants to address the fact that when all those protests were going on, black communities were being looted and burned to the ground by the very people that should have been helping protect them. That is a major problem.

Read up on some black history. Hell; there are even a few highly intelligent men that are standing against the black lives matter movement. But msm won’t report on those people. Read up on cole Hughes, thomas sowell, John McWhorter, glen loury. Sam Harris, gad saad. Jesus Christ if you need a celebrity , and for some reason people do.. look at Terry crews, Morgan freeman.

Yes there is a problem with police. But there is a major problem with the culture in allot of those communities too. But nobody wants to address that.

Thanks for educating me on my own culture.

It's not just an American problem, it's a Canadian problem too.

And claiming no one wants to talk about the culture in those communities is absolute bull####. It's why we want more money put into education in those communities. Why we want to reduce the massive budgets of the police and have more money invested in social programs in those communities.

The problem is much deeper than the police, absolutely. But whitewashing the way black suspects are handled by police compared to the way white people are, is not the answer and that is exactly what you are doing.

I don't give a flying #### about "likes", I care about fearing for my life everytime I get pulled over for driving while black.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:50 PM   #228
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Where the hell did you get that idea? Nobody wants to address that? That’s been a more widely had conversation than police brutality for decades.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #229
LeatherFace
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Serious question. Is there any source that shows how many non-criminal black people have been shot and/or killed by police forces in Canada in like the last 10-20 years? I'm just wondering if the number is significant or not or whether we're simply taking American problems and making it our own whether it applies to us or not?
LeatherFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeatherFace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 06:57 PM   #230
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
"Hockey has a track record of putting issues as important as this one on the back burner, till they are confronted by the masses. "

I actually take umbrage at that statement. Says who? You?

CG12 Who are the "masses" you speak off. 25 year olds in mobs who think they are the first to deal with the racism problem. All you and your ilk do is virtue signal and bully others into accepting your virtue signalling. How many actual east indian, muslim, native or black friends do you have? Maybe you do! That's all you can do is make sure YOU aren't a racist. Only you can prevent forest fires and only you can treat everyone as people not races.

My friends Ziad, Rufus and Jag never bring it up. Want to see pics of the block party we had 3 weeks ago?

You might as well protest drug addiction.

When any of the 84 US policemen who've died in the line of duty so far this year were killed, did Pro Sports to come to a stand still? No? Why not? How many people have been shot to death in Chicago this year? Virtue signalling does NOT stop racists from being racist.

My real point needs to be remade.
1968 Mexico City 2 black amaerican atheletes gave a Black Panther salute. The IOC banded all such political activity with penalties such as disqualification in the next Olympics..
When Patton won at the academy awards a first nations girl came up instead and made a political speech. This kept on for a few years until they said enough was enough.

Pro sports will suffer and lose yet more viewers the more political they get. I have zero interest in the NFL couldn't care less anymore.
No that isn't all you can do. The fact that you think it's all you can do is part of the problem.

There's also a false equivalency here that makes me revolted everytime I hear/ read it. 84 us police officers have died- in the line of duty. Those police officers made a conscious choice to "protect and serve." At one point that actually meant putting oneself in harms way so that others wouldn't have to come to harm: that in fact was what made the image of them as heroic possible.
Thats not the reality of how they act. And your point here proves thats not how some in society seem to see them either. The deaths of police in the line of duty is not at all equivalent or comparable to the murder of black civilians by police officers.

The viewers that will be lost by this act don't deserve to be entertained by these athletes. If you count yourself among them I pity your shallow soul.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #231
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

And claiming no one wants to talk about the culture in those communities is absolute bull####. It's why we want more money put into education in those communities. Why we want to reduce the massive budgets of the police and have more money invested in social programs in those communities.

The problem is much deeper than the police, absolutely. But whitewashing the way black suspects are handled by police compared to the way white people are, is not the answer and that is exactly what you are doing.

I don't give a flying #### about "likes", I care about fearing for my life everytime I get pulled over for driving while black.

Bull! Don’t lie to me. Stop pretending like you are always at risk of being beaten up by a cop. That’s victim talk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #232
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherFace View Post
Serious question. Is there any source that shows how many non-criminal black people have been shot and/or killed by police forces in Canada in like the last 10-20 years? I'm just wondering if the number is significant or not or whether we're simply taking American problems and making it our own whether it applies to us or not?

He won’t offer any evidence, it goes against the narrative. You are more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be killed by a cop as a black man in Canada.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #233
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Where are you going with this? I guess you want to be able to say MLB is more tone deaf? Just curious why that would matter if it is the case.
I was responding to him saying NHL was last as usual blah blah blah
Old 08-27-2020, 07:14 PM   #234
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bull! Don’t lie to me. Stop pretending like you are always at risk of being beaten up by a cop. That’s victim talk.

WTF do you know about his experience? What a #### post.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 PM   #235
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #236
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I've literally had a gun put to my head while being called a ###### by a cop.

Maybe you should start being part of the solution and not part of the ####ing problem.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #237
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

While I agree with most of what you said here, I generally find that it is entirely counterproductive and inflammatory to call people racists (even when they demonstrably are). It is far more productive and helpful to specifically counter their points as they raise them. In other words, rather than responding to something racist by saying "that's racist", instead respond with "I strongly disagree with that, and here's why.."
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #238
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
WTF do you know about his experience? What a #### post.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...cers_in_Canada

Show me the mass fear brought on by the law enforcement in this country. Show me proof that black Canadian men live in fear of being pulled over by the cops.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #239
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe you should start being part of the solution and not part of the ####ing problem.
Not gonna happen with certain miscreants in society. They won’t change.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #240
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t believe a single word you say. I wouldn’t be surprised if you are full of it. You are part of the problem.

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics