Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #2001
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Granted I moved away from Edmonton several years now, but is their sports radio really that much better? I listened to 1260 daily for years on my commute, I think Boomer/Warrener/Pinder are hands down better than any morning show I heard up there.

The afternoon isn't the same level, but I think Steinberg is pretty underrated, I feel he does a great job and has a slick professional sounding voice as well. His sidekicks aren't amazing (I really like Klein, I just realize he's not some amazing talent), which is probably where the dip happens, but I never felt Edmonton radio was this superior product in that regard. Unless it's gotten way better now..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #2002
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to hear delusion in radio format, you get the choice of two different but similar flavours!
Old 03-12-2021, 07:51 AM   #2003
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Loubo is in fine form on XM/Sirius NHL Radio right now.

"I'm just going to say it, I love Geoff Ward. I miss him"
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #2004
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Loubo is in fine form on XM/Sirius NHL Radio right now.

"I'm just going to say it, I love Geoff Ward. I miss him"
Someone needs to tell the guy that sports fans, folks that tune into sports media, really don't prioritize or care about how nice a guy is.

Ward seems like a nice guy, but he ultimately proved to be an incompetent head coach. If you are incapable of calling that out, then you are an incompetent member of a sports media team.

He's hard to listen to or even take seriously.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 08:41 AM   #2005
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Someone needs to tell the guy that sports fans, folks that tune into sports media, really don't prioritize or care about how nice a guy is.

Ward seems like a nice guy, but he ultimately proved to be an incompetent head coach. If you are incapable of calling that out, then you are an incompetent member of a sports media team.

Lou is fine and without him the station get eminently worse very quickly.

Geoff Ward wasn’t successful as an NHL head coach.

He’s not incompetent either.

There are plenty of examples of incompetency to see the difference. Most notable Dallas Eakins, who took his lumps.

Ward is an intelligent hockey professional. He has his name on the Stanley Cup for a reason.

It didn’t work out here, but everyone who visits this website could learn something from Geoff Ward about hockey. If you enjoy learning about hockey, interacted with Geoff regularly and now do not. It is reasonable to say you would miss it.
It isn’t a stretch to say Loubo would learn something in his daily conversations and interactions with him as well. Geoff was probably open and honest about discussions with hockey and the team. Maybe to a fault.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 08:47 AM   #2006
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Granted I moved away from Edmonton several years now, but is their sports radio really that much better? I listened to 1260 daily for years on my commute, I think Boomer/Warrener/Pinder are hands down better than any morning show I heard up there.

The afternoon isn't the same level, but I think Steinberg is pretty underrated, I feel he does a great job and has a slick professional sounding voice as well. His sidekicks aren't amazing (I really like Klein, I just realize he's not some amazing talent), which is probably where the dip happens, but I never felt Edmonton radio was this superior product in that regard. Unless it's gotten way better now..
I'm sorry, but no. His voice is absolutely horrible. Horrible.
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:44 AM   #2007
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Brutal take.

I’m having a hard time believing you’re the ‘high performing’ engineer as you have claimed to be. You repeatedly call people incompetent, or suggest they're idiots, who are in fields that I doubt you have any experience in. What do you know about incompetence in broadcasting, professional coaching in hockey, or managing a hockey team? How do you know these things while simultaneously being a high performing engineer? Astounding!!!! Are there other professions you’re also ‘high performing’ at as well? It must frustrate you to no end to be surrounded by imbeciles everywhere.

The smartest people I know, don’t need to tell others they’re smart or claim others are incompetent at their jobs. Especially when they’re not in the field in question. Whatever engineering school you went to, apparently self awareness wasn’t on the agenda. I get this is a forum where people can speak, almost, freely behind false identities, but try to pretend we are talking about actual human beings. Chances are, most of them are not incompetent.

It’s fine to be critical, but you tend to lay it on a little thick. Maybe take it down a step or two.

Last edited by TOfan; 03-12-2021 at 12:22 PM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #2008
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Lou is fine and without him the station get eminently worse very quickly.

Geoff Ward wasn’t successful as an NHL head coach.

He’s not incompetent either.

There are plenty of examples of incompetency to see the difference. Most notable Dallas Eakins, who took his lumps.

Ward is an intelligent hockey professional. He has his name on the Stanley Cup for a reason.

It didn’t work out here, but everyone who visits this website could learn something from Geoff Ward about hockey. If you enjoy learning about hockey, interacted with Geoff regularly and now do not. It is reasonable to say you would miss it.
I would think a person could learn a tonne around the game from any NHL coach.

As for Geoff Ward, I would guess he is going to have take another assistant coaching job or try a head coaching position in the minor league levels.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:46 AM   #2009
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
I'm sorry, but no. His voice is absolutely horrible. Horrible.
Absolutely incorrect.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:02 AM   #2010
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm not getting the Steinberg's voice is horrible take at all. When I first moved back in 2013, he's the first 960 personality I discovered (back when he did afternoons by himself), I thought he sounded slick.

I was shocked when I finally saw a pic of him and realized he looked like McLovin haha...I was picturing some confident pretty boy or something. Like in Wayne's World 2 when they finally meet their radio DJ idol Handsome Dan.

Last edited by Sainters7; 03-12-2021 at 11:09 AM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #2011
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Absolutely incorrect.
Nope. I've been in broadcasting going on 18 years. Take a peek outside your bubble and see what a pro sounds and acts like. His screeching as a way of turning on his 'radio voice' is grating and completely fake. I feel bad for those who like the fan as they obviously haven't listened to anyone else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #2012
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I give Steinberg a break, because the guy does genuinely have a passion for his job, and he's pretty professional at all times. At the same time, he doesn't take himself too seriously, and can take digs at himself. Does he have the most polished radio voice? No, but it's far from horrible. Heck, I'd argue he's got a better radio voice than Jim "dead air" Rome. Or that raspy smoker sounding guy Farrell or whatever?

Last edited by The Yen Man; 03-12-2021 at 11:49 AM.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:41 AM   #2013
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Brutal take.

I’m having a hard time believing you’re the ‘high performing’ engineer as you have claimed to be. You repeatedly call people incompetent, or suggest their idiots, who are in fields that I doubt you have any experience in. What do you know about incompetence in broadcasting, professional coaching in hockey, or managing a hockey team? How do you know these things while simultaneously being a high performing engineer? Astounding!!!!Are their other professions you’re also ‘high performing’ at as well? It must frustrate you to no end to be surrounded by imbeciles everywhere.

The smartest people I know, don’t need to tell others they’re smart or claim others are incompetent at their jobs. Especially when they’re not in the field in question. Whatever engineering school you went to, apparently self awareness wasn’t on the agenda. I get this is a forum where people can speak, almost, freely behind false identities, but try to pretend we are talking about actual human beings. Chances are, most of them are not incompetent.

It’s fine to be critical, but you tend to lay it on a little thick. Maybe take it down a step or two.

In my experience working with many many engineers, is this not the norm? They always no more than you even if it is in a completely unrelated field, at least that's what I hear a lot haha
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #2014
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. I've been in broadcasting going on 18 years. Take a peek outside your bubble and see what a pro sounds and acts like. His screeching as a way of turning on his 'radio voice' is grating and completely fake. I feel bad for those who like the fan as they obviously haven't listened to anyone else.
Cool, post a link so we can hear your broadcasting voice.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:16 PM   #2015
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I would think a person could learn a tonne around the game from any NHL coach.

As for Geoff Ward, I would guess he is going to have take another assistant coaching job or try a head coaching position in the minor league levels.
Jeff Ward knows more about hockey than all of us here. I don't think anyone denies that. Compared to his peers he was outmatched and quite frankly some his player deployment was pretty amateur at times. The times where he would deploy 4th line players or bottom pairing defensemen at critical junctures in games were almost fireable offenses on their own.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #2016
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Cool, post a link so we can hear your broadcasting voice.
Sure, right after you show me your HockeyDB link that gives you the right to criticize hockey players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:22 PM   #2017
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, right after you show me your HockeyDB link that gives you the right to criticize hockey players.
We all enjoy the right to criticize whatever we want without the need to produce credentials. But you are the one who has set yourself up as some sort of authority. I think the insistence that you validate that claim is warranted. Otherwise, you are just another guy on this Board with an opinion about something or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 12:23 PM   #2018
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Jeff Ward knows more about hockey than all of us here. I don't think anyone denies that. Compared to his peers he was outmatched and quite frankly some his player deployment was pretty amateur at times. The times where he would deploy 4th line players or bottom pairing defensemen at critical junctures in games were almost fireable offenses on their own.
Half the time he was criticized for using 4th liners whenever he sent them out, no matter if he had last change, and no matter how well they had played, and no matter what the result was. IIRC people complained about 4th liners being out after a goal for, a goal against, a PP, a PK, after a good shift and after a bad shift.

And even if one disagreed, if Ward had a rationale for it, it's not moronic or idiotic, it's a difference of opinion.

Who did Sutter put out last night with the net empty?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #2019
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Last edited by BsFaninCGY; 12-17-2021 at 09:28 AM. Reason: *
The Following User Says Thank You to BsFaninCGY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #2020
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've been listening to radio for over 40 years. Heck, I've heard people talking for over 40 years. He doesn't have an annoying voice. He does a good job.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: