Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Bruce 0 0%
Carroll 11 8.09%
Falkovsky 6 4.41%
Hamilton 44 32.35%
Harrison 0 0%
Kanzig 3 2.21%
Karnaukhov 3 2.21%
Mattson 15 11.03%
Morrison 5 3.68%
Rafikov 6 4.41%
Rittich 7 5.15%
Schneider 10 7.35%
Smith 26 19.12%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not writing off Rafikov just yet. He probably has the highest upside of the players left at this point.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #22
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I'm not sure if you're just pointing to the fact that Karnaukhov isn't talented enough to turn pro in NA, but he does currently play in NA unlike Rafikov. Last 2 seasons with the Calgary Hitmen.
I thought he was going to Russia this season?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #23
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Schneider. I think he has the potential to be a starter in the league - really showed well in the AHL I thought, and of course his camp invite last year as well that he turned into a contract.

Almost went with Rafikov. Why? Really depends on what your rankings are based on. Rafikov I think seems to have the tools to be a top 4 defencemen, and one that is very difficult to play against since he really enjoys playing that chippy antagonistic game. He seems to move the puck well also, and is a decent skater. I look at him as a Wothespoon-type in that he does everything fairly well, but not elite, but differs from Wotherspoon as there is some sandpaper to his game.

Now someone may not think much of Rafikov because it seems less and less likely he will come over to North America, but for my ranking that isn't really a consideration. I would have ranked him much higher this year if it wasn't for him bouncing around a lot last season. I just really liked what I saw from him in the viewings I managed to get in - the Subway Super Series and world juniors. I think he still has the ability to be an impact-type defencemen that is dependable in his own zone, and can throw-off the other team being an agitator/physical presence (kid seems to love to hit).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #24
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I'm not writing off Rafikov just yet. He probably has the highest upside of the players left at this point.
Reallly? Because I'm thinking that Rafikov is the new Taro Tsujimoto, just slightly less not real.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #25
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hunter Smith was ranked 49 by CSS so it isn't like he was a reach or picked just for size.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not too bad. It has taken to round 25 to get the point where I'm not that excited about any of the prospects left on the board.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #27
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
I don't see why so many are writing off Smith right now, while still thinking Klimchuk is worthy of his draft selection.

Smith is 6 months younger (and a whole lot bigger) than Klimchuk, and produced ~as much as Klimchuk did this year in the AHL, with less ice-time.

Neither of their seasons were especially confidence inspiring, but it's not fair to write off one and hope for the other. I would rank them very similarly as prospects at this time.
I agree with most of what you said. The only real difference is I would write off, or almost write off, both. Something like 20% of prospects actually have any sort of substantial NHL career, so if 6 from the eventual top 30 make it, then that is average. If 8 make it, the Flames are probably the top developing NHL team or very close to it. The odds are stacked against the vast majority of players on any prospects list.

I voted for Smith though, his size does give him a chance to impact games in a couple roles.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote