Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
from a travel perspective this is a pretty tough sell. Cranbrook to Calgary is ~4hrs. To Drum/Olds that would be almost 6hrs, 7 hrs or so to brooks. Lots of hours on the iron lung for games. The total time away from home for a wednesday game in olds would likely be a total of 14 to 16 hrs on good roads

A team there would have no easy road trips - nor would teams visiting there. Also tough mountain highways to deal with.

To me this would be a logistical nightmare - but i can see why people would talk about wanting a team there.

Would be the same as Ft Mcmurray, play primarily on weekends at home and 3 in 3 on road trips. But the interlocking schedule the league is going to would definitely create problems travel problems.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:01 PM   #22
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the safe bet is Cranbrook will join the BCHL, but for 2020-2021.
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:54 AM   #23
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ehh. The Mustangs are below the Flames, Hitmen, Dinos, Cougars and even Canucks on the totem pole. There's just too many teams in the market. The only real solution is to move the Mustangs and even the Canucks to the suburbs. But none of Strathmore, Airdrie or Cochrane has a suitable spectator arena.
I love the old Cochrane Arena. I don't know what capacity is there, but it's a great barn to watch a game.

It would also kill the Generals of the Heritage league, and as a volunteer in that league, I'd hate to see them get pushed out.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 PM   #24
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604flames View Post
I think the safe bet is Cranbrook will join the BCHL, but for 2020-2021.
A group looked at bringing in an AJHL franchise, but that attempt was rejected by Hockey BC.

There also has been interest in acquiring a BCHL franchise, but that apparently has been stalled by, a reported $1.2-million expansion fee.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #25
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

No formal announcement yet but it appears all the Calgary Mustangs players are now free agents, with Andres Bridgewater signing with the Cowichan Valley Capitals.

Old 10-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #26
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Calgary Mustangs are no more. They are moving to Blackflads.

@TheAJHL:
AJHL Approves Relocation of Calgary Mustangs to Blackfalds, AB Under New Ownership https://t.co/JmoXBVhxl5 @blackfalds https://t.co/uQdTtSzDPb

Old 10-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's probably not a bad thing and hopefully they will thrive in Blackfalds. Too much competition in the Calgary market (NHL, CFL, 2 CIS, 1 ACAC, WHL) and it gives the smaller communities a chance to see some good hockey. Will be interesting to see if proximity to Red Deer and the WHL will have any negative impact. For the other AJHL teams this is plus in terms of travel for Camrose, and probably Drumheller and Olds too. Canmore, Brooks, and of course the Canucks will have a little further to go now. Not a huge deal.

I didn't realize Blackfalds has a facility to host a junior team.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #28
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

I didn't realize Blackfalds has a facility to host a junior team.

They don't...they are building one...plans look like it is a smaller version of Merlis Belcher Place (where the U of S plays in Saskatoon).
Old 10-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #29
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 10-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jesus Christ... Blackfalds has almost 10,000 people? Even so, I'm guessing they will hope to draw people in from Lacombe too.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote