Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-13-2014, 02:13 PM   #21
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

With two fantastic actors in leading roles, don't think I could ever be disappointed.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Surprised at how many missed the ending, I thought it was common knowledge to always add an extra couple of minutes to series recordings to account for slightly off times
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you missed it with DVR and you have HBO Canada (and presumably if you're DVR'ing it...) it'll be up on VOD usually within 24 hours, full episode. Always was for GOT and Boardwalk Empire
Old 01-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn I guess I missed the end as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:07 PM   #25
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Just watched the first episode, very cool feeling to the show. Can't wait for next week.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #26
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched another HBO show I had recorded, Banshee, and it cut off a bit at the end also.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #27
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If you missed it with DVR and you have HBO Canada (and presumably if you're DVR'ing it...) it'll be up on VOD usually within 24 hours, full episode. Always was for GOT and Boardwalk Empire
Pretty sure HBO Canada comes up on VOD a week after. On Shaw at least.

Could be wrong though.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #28
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only heard about this show in the past week and was very excited for it. Not disappointed at all after the first episode.

Sadly, I can see this show being cancelled by the end of season 2. Drawn out development, noir feel...I can imagine a lot of casual audiences losing interest quickly after realizing the big stars won't be involved in a lot of shoot-outs and explosions.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:36 PM   #29
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Only heard about this show in the past week and was very excited for it. Not disappointed at all after the first episode.

Sadly, I can see this show being cancelled by the end of season 2. Drawn out development, noir feel...I can imagine a lot of casual audiences losing interest quickly after realizing the big stars won't be involved in a lot of shoot-outs and explosions.
If House of Cards can be used as a metric, then I think this show will do well. Hell, even The Wire had a long development. But I guess we'll see.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 PM   #30
swo2k1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

The story line is going to wrap up in 8 episodes. If there is a season two, it would be a separate story sort of like how American Horror Story is. Though I doubt the actors would roll over in True Detective like they do in AHS.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...gs-know-669722

Last edited by swo2k1; 01-14-2014 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added link
swo2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:21 PM   #31
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting to see Lester and Brother Mouzone from 'The Wire' in this.

I enjoyed it, the partner dynamic is funny as hell too.
darockwilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM   #32
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
If House of Cards can be used as a metric, then I think this show will do well. Hell, even The Wire had a long development. But I guess we'll see.
If I recall, The Wire didn't have great ratings at the time but was given the room to finish. That seems to happen less and less recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swo2k1 View Post
The story line is going to wrap up in 8 episodes. If there is a season two, it would be a separate story sort of like how American Horror Story is. Though I doubt the actors would roll over in True Detective like they do in AHS.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...gs-know-669722
And this might make my whole complaint moot. That is very interesting, and I think it could work well. Keep it fresh, and if the first season really hits with fans then more people will be tuning in to see the next phase.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2014, 08:05 AM   #33
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
Pretty sure HBO Canada comes up on VOD a week after. On Shaw at least.

Could be wrong though.
It was up when I checked last night. It has been for all HBO Shows recently on VOD, and on Shaw too.

Anyways show did a very strong debut number with 2.3 million viewers, and for perspective thats bigger than Game of Thrones debut, though less than Boardwalk Empire which amazingly drew nearly 5 million viewers (got to think Scorsese being involved had a lot to do with that).
Old 01-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #34
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

That's not how HBO works. They gave The Wire 5 season even though the ratings were pitiful, and a purely character driven series in Treme got 4 seasons

Because HBO doesn't use advertising as a source of revenue, they don't care about ratings numbers for any of their series. They're more concerned with how well a show can pull in new subscribers, which something like True Detective can do with 2 big lead stars and a lot of hype around it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #35
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's not how HBO works. They gave The Wire 5 season even though the ratings were pitiful, and a purely character driven series in Treme got 4 seasons

Because HBO doesn't use advertising as a source of revenue, they don't care about ratings numbers for any of their series. They're more concerned with how well a show can pull in new subscribers, which something like True Detective can do with 2 big lead stars and a lot of hype around it

They also care about their "brand". David Simon gets time to do Treme because they want to be in the David Simon business. It also lets them put out garbage like True Blood that pulls in massive ratings because they can still be viewed as a place where storytellers can get their shows made.

The structure of True Detective (one season, one story and then reboot the whole thing with different characters) is important to HBO because if it works, then other big movie stars will come to HBO to do a limited run series and not have to worry about being locked in a 5 year contract.

Billy Bob Thornton just talked about this with respect to Fargo and the president of FX talked about it on a podcast with Andy Greenwald awhile back.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #36
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read about a year ago, that movie actors were interested in doing 1 season series, basically an 8 hour movie or whatever it may turn out to be. Somewhere between a series and a 2 hour movie. This seemed to fit that criteria when I first read about it.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #37
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have this DVR'd but haven't had a chance to watch - set up a series recording as well. I think I'm going to spend Sunday watching all the crap on the DVR so I can clear it off, lol.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #38
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Good first episode. Interesting characters and fantastic acting, not just the two leads. Definitely be watching this for a bit.

I do worry it may not be able to differentiate itself from all the cop/detective dramas out there in the long run though. It will have to have a different angle. Obviously something is going on with one detective (is he a suspect?). Guess we'll see.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:19 PM   #39
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
Gee - I wonder if there will be any male nudity? Probably not. And if there is, it will be some fat, dead slob that no one would ever want to see naked.

I'm still looking forward to the series however. Should be interesting.
If you want male nudity you should be watching Game of Thrones, haha.

I didn't realize it so much till South Park did a spoof.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #40
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I recall, The Wire didn't have great ratings at the time but was given the room to finish. That seems to happen less and less recently.

And this might make my whole complaint moot. That is very interesting, and I think it could work well. Keep it fresh, and if the first season really hits with fans then more people will be tuning in to see the next phase.
other interview the writers gave

Nic Pizzolatto:
Quote:
If they let us do another one, I'm already working on stuff. I've been told not to talk about that very much. But I'll tell you what I would plan in a vague way. I see the show, if it got to continue, it being set in a different place every year with new characters, I would see it owning its landscape as an integral part of the show, and I believe I would continue to make use of the narrative conceit of a story being told, at least for some part of a season. Again, for all the reasons I’ve talked about: you get a great actor and you just let ‘em talk and you just keep the camera on him. But also, the dissonance between the story being told and what really happened. You'll see that the voices telling the story may lie, but the image never will. . So I think you can be very effective juxtaposition of things happening that are not what is being described. And there's all kinds of reasons why people may not be telling the truth. It may not be intentional at all. And those things don't have to take the form of a police interrogation. , if you think about all the various possibilities it could be somebody laying down a confession, it could be somebody taking over a radio station, I don't know, it's kind of endless. So I think those things would remain the consistent branding of the show.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote