Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #2541
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Also I've read that the spatial audio thing is cool. I haven't listened to any of the albums that are mastered for it yet though. I think my BT headphones work with that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #2542
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol..

Old 06-13-2021, 09:34 PM   #2543
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol..
I’m not going to even watch that. iPadOS is such a joke. I don’t expect Apple to allow MacOS on an iPad Pro but why put the same hardware as a MacBook Pro in it and not make use of it?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #2544
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Also I've read that the spatial audio thing is cool. I haven't listened to any of the albums that are mastered for it yet though. I think my BT headphones work with that.

It might be all in my head, but in my car I think it sounds amazing.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #2545
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
It might be all in my head, but in my car I think it sounds amazing.
I've definitely liked what I've heard so far.

After reading up on it, it turns out that you can turn on spatial audio for all devices, as long as the track is mastered that way. They're treating it more like the next step in mastering like mono, stereo and now Atmos/spatial. Looks like some apple/beats headphones can automatically detect it and maybe are better at it? But it should work on all devices. I was thinking at first it is like the 360 audio that tidal uses and that only works with certain compatible headphones.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:23 AM   #2546
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little confused, is this any different than the old Spatial Audio stuff? I've got a spatial audio DVD/CD player, and have a few albums, like Pink Floyd DSOTM and Dire Straights. I bevel these was originally Quadraphonic, then converted to SACD. So that's going back to the 70's. But SACD has been around since the 90's. Nuance demos, anyone? So now this is the "next step" but it's been around for 50 years?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #2547
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It is basically the same, except now they use Dolby Atmos to master it. But the idea is the same. Supposed to make you feel more immersed in the music and that the audio is coming from all around you, as if you're sitting on stage or whatever.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:44 AM   #2548
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol..

My brain immediately finished the song off with "Waaaandering freeeee, wish I could beeee, uuuunemployyyyyyyed."
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 11:19 AM   #2549
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm a little confused, is this any different than the old Spatial Audio stuff? I've got a spatial audio DVD/CD player, and have a few albums, like Pink Floyd DSOTM and Dire Straights. I bevel these was originally Quadraphonic, then converted to SACD. So that's going back to the 70's. But SACD has been around since the 90's. Nuance demos, anyone? So now this is the "next step" but it's been around for 50 years?
Haha, there's a blast from the past.

'hey buddy...have you heard the latest revolution in sound?'
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #2550
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Apple is having a promotion where you can get free AirPods, (or AirPods Pro for $110), if you buy a Mac with the education discount, which is $1169 for the base model Macbook Air. That price is not bad at all for an M1, although ram is only 8GB.

I'm so tempted to get a new Macbook Air but I purchased a new Dell XPS a few months ago. I have a 2015 Macbook that is starting to get sluggish.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #2551
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Costco has stopped selling iTunes gift cards. Not only could you use them to buy online content at a discount but also AppleCare+ and other subscriptions. I saved about $7 a month buying them on sale and of course, I just ran out.

Apple is more focused more on online services now that people aren't replacing their phones and tablets as often so I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped giving Costco a deal on gift cards.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #2552
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Costco has stopped selling iTunes gift cards. Not only could you use them to buy online content at a discount but also AppleCare+ and other subscriptions. I saved about $7 a month buying them on sale and of course, I just ran out.

Apple is more focused more on online services now that people aren't replacing their phones and tablets as often so I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped giving Costco a deal on gift cards.
It's likely because Apple has changed their gift cards, and Costco just needs to get the new ones in.

Link

Quote:
The new Apple Gift Card can be applied towards "everything Apple," including purchases of Apple products and accessories, App Store apps, iTunes Store content like TV shows and movies, services like Apple Music and Apple Arcade, iCloud+ plans, and more. The gift card is available on Apple's website in digital and physical versions, with the physical card sent by mail including a collectible Apple logo sticker available in five designs.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #2553
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
It's likely because Apple has changed their gift cards, and Costco just needs to get the new ones in.

Link
That's good to know but I still expect we won't see the same discounts if you can buy something like a Macbook Pro with them.
Old 07-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #2554
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's good to know but I still expect we won't see the same discounts if you can buy something like a Macbook Pro with them.
I'm hoping we do, because yeah - I've made great use of that Costco discount over the years. Awesome deal.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:05 AM   #2555
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Discovered a new gear grinder with iPhones. I installed a Wyze doorbell camera and setup the app on my Android, no problem. Then I wanted a custom notification sound for it so that I know when someone hits the doorbell without looking at my phone, which was easy to do in the notification settings. Setup the app on my wife's iPhone looking to do the same thing but discovered that's impossible, there is no way to change a 3rd party app to a different notification sound from the default. I'm left hoping that Wyze adds that functionality to the app itself because Apple is too lazy to add a sound option to their already existing per-app notification settings. Why the hell are they so late to the party in adding features that Android has had for years? It's so frustrating when I have to support these things at home or at work
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #2556
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Are any of you having problems with iTunes Match, taking forever to upload songs to library for matching? It can take hours or days for songs to upload - before it would only take 5 minutes. Some days better than others, but seems to be a common problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...WcVmUJExNu83ZQ
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #2557
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Are any of you having problems with iTunes Match, taking forever to upload songs to library for matching? It can take hours or days for songs to upload - before it would only take 5 minutes. Some days better than others, but seems to be a common problem:

iTunes Match Users Frustratingly Report Widespread Issues
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/08/05...spread-issues/
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BananaPancakes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 05:51 PM   #2558
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:

That's gotta be frustrating. Apple seems to be pushing people towards getting an Apple Music subscription. I'm not saying this is intentional but I would guess the Match team is pretty small at this point.

I stopped using iTunes Match after I set up my Plex server. It's not as simple to use but it allows me total control over my music library.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #2559
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I stopped using iTunes Match after I set up my Plex server. It's not as simple to use but it allows me total control over my music library.
Interesting, tell me more:

https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/your-media/music/

I use iTunes to create playlists, that I can play on the radio through the Djay app. Every week I get 5-10 new albums from the station to download and add to iTunes. If Match can't add new albums to my library, I can't add the new music to playlists. I do have a back up plan, where I can play new music through Serrato at the station, but I would prefer being able to have it all in one playlist.

Too bad, Match has been working very well for me for a few years. Hopefully enough people are complaining now that it gets fixed.

#iTunesMatchBroken
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #2560
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting, tell me more:

https://www.plex.tv/en-ca/your-media/music/

I use iTunes to create playlists, that I can play on the radio through the Djay app. Every week I get 5-10 new albums from the station to download and add to iTunes. If Match can't add new albums to my library, I can't add the new music to playlists. I do have a back up plan, where I can play new music through Serrato at the station, but I would prefer being able to have it all in one playlist.

Too bad, Match has been working very well for me for a few years. Hopefully enough people are complaining now that it gets fixed.

#iTunesMatchBroken
Yeah I'm not sure what options you have available if it doesn't get fixed. Plex works great but it requires upfront (and possibly recurring costs) to use.

First you need a server. This could be a computer you're not using for anything else that you don't mind being on all the time, or an Android box like the Nvidia Shield. The latter is about $250 for the version that will run a server. There might be cheaper alternatives but that's the one I use and recommend. It's great for streaming other media too.

Then you need a Plex Pass to allow remote streaming. This is $6.49 a month or $49.99 a year. You can get a lifetime pass for $159.99 if you know decide you're going to use it for the long term. That's what I did years ago (when it was like $75) and it's easily paid for itself.

After you set up the server you just point it to your music collection. It does a great job of cataloging music although you'll need to add info for local and obscure bands. You can then use an app called Plexamp to create playlists. You can stream music or download it to your phone.

PM me and I can share my setup so you can try it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post: