Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2021, 07:48 AM   #41
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If they exposed Monahan they wouldn't have to convince Seattle to take him, its be an obvious and easy choice.

It would also be crazy, since they could let Seattle take someone less valuable and trade Monahan for assets. He would almost certainly be one of if not the very best centre available to them.
It really depends on Monny's health, which at this stage is unknown to all of us.

If he gets exposed to the expansion draft, we can assume that Calgary thinks he's broken beyond repair, which means that Seattle would have access to the same health reports and would presumably feel the same way.

If his health looks encouraging, zero chance he gets exposed.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why in the heck would would the Flames expose Monahan? Yes he had a tough season but he's still only 26 years old.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #43
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exposing Monahan has to be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever read on CP and that’s saying something.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:00 AM   #44
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Super-hypothetical: If there was a way to be sure that Grubauer would sign with us, would you guys expose Markstrom?

Edit: Wait, that would be dumb. Give a #1 goalie to a division rival for free. Also, just giving him away to anyone for free would be stupid.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I said it before (about a different player). You don’t expose someone because you want Seattle to take them. You expose someone because you have to protect someone else. If there was no Dube, there would be no need to ask Lucic to waive his NMC.

Assuming one’s worst fears or biggest criticisms about Monahan are true, he’s still worth something in a trade. No one could argue he’s not worth some sort of asset in return. Exposing him is just dumb.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #46
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me the debate is between exposing Giordano or Backlund.

Tbh it's sad to see either go, but materially the Flames can move on from those contracts with little regret.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #47
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I'm worried about losing this from our dressing room https://calgarysun.com/sports/flames...carries-weight

I've said many times here that Looch was one of my all-time faves when he was with Boston. I remember also saying that the only real saving grace in the trade that brought him here (other than addition by subtracting Neal) was that he was sure to waive for Seattle.

Now we're coming up on the draft, and when I look at his contract in terms of 50% for on-ice value and 50% for off-ice, I fully believe we're getting our money's worth. Would I re-sign him for the same amount? Of course not, but I no longer feel like we need to get him off the books -- and in fact I feel like losing him would be very bad.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:17 AM   #48
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’ll probably cost the Flames several draft picks in the end is what I’m guessing.

Although I still don’t know, does anyone else see the Flames trading Noah Hanifin this offseason for the cap space and to avoid giving Seattle a top 4 D? Just the way Sutter demoted Hanifin in the end and lack of endorsements from the coach and GM leads me to thinking it’s a possibility.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #49
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I totally disagree. Sutter is just trying to hold young players accountable.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:21 AM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop the Kraken from claiming a top 4 defenseman by having less than 4 top 4 defenseman is such a Flames thing to do especially when one of those defenders is going to retire in a year or two.

I think we're overthinking things. If they want to claim a 38 year old Giordano for one year, should he not retire, let them do so and thank them for the cap-space.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
To me the debate is between exposing Giordano or Backlund.

Tbh it's sad to see either go, but materially the Flames can move on from those contracts with little regret.
If you choose to protect Gio and all the other eligible starting D you have to go the 8 skaters route and you end up exposing not only Backlund, but also Monahan and Dube. Or else you have to expose another D, like Tanev or Andersson:

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Gio, Tanev, Andersson, Hanifin

Or

Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Mangiapane, Dube, Backlund, Gio, Hanifin, Andersson or Tanev
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 10:31 AM   #52
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
^ I totally disagree. Sutter is just trying to hold young players accountable.
Is it though? He used the word entitlement to explain the Flames’ usage of its young players. What’s going to change from now and into September? Is Darryl going to be perfectly fine with losing his newly appointed #1 Dman who plays 26-27 minutes a night for his #4 defenseman?

Actions speak louder than words to me and the idea that he’s holding young players more “accountable” as some form of lesson just doesn’t hold much weight. Darryl is pretty black and white, he wants to win and he wants guys who can do that for him regardless of age/potential/draft pedigree.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #53
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well then it is easy.

Not emotionally, but certainly pragmatically.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #54
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Stop the Kraken from claiming a top 4 defenseman by having less than 4 top 4 defenseman is such a Flames thing to do especially when one of those defenders is going to retire in a year or two.

I think we're overthinking things. If they want to claim a 38 year old Giordano for one year, should he not retire, let them do so and thank them for the cap-space.
I think Gio can play for a long time, similar to Chara. He’s generally the fittest Flame in camp and he also relies on his hockey sense/iq and excellent timing. Darryl’s system hides his mobility flaws. Gio has always has a hard time turning and being beaten wide. Darryl’s system shelters that a bit more than Ward’s system.

I just find it disingenuous to think that Darryl freaking Sutter will be perfectly fine with giving up his 26-27 minute defenseman who plays on the top pair plus #1 PP and #1 PK all because the guy is 38 years old. If anything, age works in the favor of the new coach as the youth on this team have been routinely punished both verbally and in usage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #55
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Is it though? He used the word entitlement to explain the Flames’ usage of its young players. What’s going to change from now and into September? Is Darryl going to be perfectly fine with losing his newly appointed #1 Dman who plays 26-27 minutes a night for his #4 defenseman?

Actions speak louder than words to me and the idea that he’s holding young players more “accountable” as some form of lesson just doesn’t hold much weight. Darryl is pretty black and white, he wants to win and he wants guys who can do that for him regardless of age/potential/draft pedigree.
I'm near certain you got Valimaki and Hanifin confused or I missed something. He specifically called out Dube and Valimaki at the end of the season. Hanifin was getting 20 minutes a night under Sutter.

When Hanifin went down for surgery he said "It's better to take care of it now and get ready for next year" and more importantly, said he was the type of player you don't replace....

Quote:
“He’s a guy who plays a lot of even-strength minutes for our team. You don’t just replace it,” said Flames head coach Darryl Sutter. “You lose the player, and that’s unfortunate.”
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:42 AM   #56
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Calgary frickin Flames.... a lottery team with garbage players, wants to use assets that they can't afford in order to protect some of their worst players. That's the Flames way.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #57
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expecting to lose Kylington or Phillips and watch them go on to play big roles for the Kraken

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #58
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm worried about losing this from our dressing room https://calgarysun.com/sports/flames...carries-weight

I've said many times here that Looch was one of my all-time faves when he was with Boston. I remember also saying that the only real saving grace in the trade that brought him here (other than addition by subtracting Neal) was that he was sure to waive for Seattle.

Now we're coming up on the draft, and when I look at his contract in terms of 50% for on-ice value and 50% for off-ice, I fully believe we're getting our money's worth. Would I re-sign him for the same amount? Of course not, but I no longer feel like we need to get him off the books -- and in fact I feel like losing him would be very bad.
I like Lucic. I was part of the crowd who really liked the trade, partly because it got James Neal out of a Flames uniform, but also because Lucic excels along the boards, on the cycle and in playoffs. But with that said, if there was a feasible way to free up the $5+ million that you’re paying a role player, then you gotta do it.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:01 AM   #59
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm near certain you got Valimaki and Hanifin confused or I missed something. He specifically called out Dube and Valimaki at the end of the season. Hanifin was getting 20 minutes a night under Sutter.

When Hanifin went down for surgery he said "It's better to take care of it now and get ready for next year" and more importantly, said he was the type of player you don't replace....
Nope I’m talking about Hanifin. Valimaki absolutely took it in the teeth with Sutter, but the evidence of entitlement is also there with Hanifin. Dube goes from #1 line to bench/scratch with Sutter. Hanifin is demoted from top pair to second pair under Sutter. Darryl also went on record to say that Rasmus Andersson was his #3 guy, so by default, that puts Hanifin at #4. Also, in the final presser with Treliving, he didn’t even mention Hanifin’s name when it came to young players who took a step this season. He specifically pointed out Andersson and Mangiapane from what I heard.

Regardless. I’m not saying this will happen. I’m just saying, there’s evidence to pointing to Gio staying and not being the one exposed. Maybe the Flames will just send a pick or 2 to Seattle in the process, who knows.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:04 AM   #60
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
The Calgary frickin Flames.... a lottery team with garbage players, wants to use assets that they can't afford in order to protect some of their worst players. That's the Flames way.
Gio is not one of the worst players on this team. He’s still the Flames’ best overall defenseman. That’s why Darryl has him playing the most minutes and in all the important situations. Isn’t this what people wanted? Ward gone and Darryl in so he could tell everyone who belongs and who doesn’t?
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: