Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #61
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Now, if they read an article in the company newsletter that someone suggested you made a racist remark, you wouldn't be immediately fired. It would likely spur an investigation into what happened, and then a decision would be made, after listening to the evidence. The company newsletter is not, in itself, enough evidence.
I don't know why you keep insinuating that I'm saying the organization needs to take the TSN article as irrefutably evidence.

Again, I've repeatedly said that they should go to the independent witness (who was a former cop no less) to verify the claims in the article.

You're the one taking what I believe is a rather silly position that this needs to be proven in court before anything can happen. No it doesn't. I mean they can relieve him today if they think the team sucks, they can relieve him today if he as a person sucks (and look at actual termination with cause type thing down the line).

But now we have another witness saying it was an open secret and a document filled out in 2013 saying their rumours as well. If a random joe blow knows this guy was molesting players, are we really to believe that management didn't?

So we have anywhere between two to four witnesses making the same claims, two actual victims of rape, another name who allegedly knew enough to spread the rumour to other employees. (Jeff Thomas) and now most importantly Paul Vincent verifying the claims in the original TSN article that he indeed did go to the management.

Quote:
“I feel a weight has been lifted off of me,” Vincent said in an interview on Monday with TSN. “I will stand up in court and say what happened. I know what the team did to cover this up and coming forward was the right thing to do."

Vincent alleges that after the players approached him on May 16, 2010, in San Jose, he asked Blackhawks sports psychologist James Gary to follow up with the players and management.

The following day, Vincent says he was called into a meeting with team president John McDonough, general manager Stan Bowman, vice-president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, and Gary. Vincent said that he asked the team to report the alleged abuse to Chicago police. That request was refused, Vincent said.

Following the meeting, Vincent said he told assistant coaches John Torchetti and Mike Haviland about his request to go to police and about the team's response. Neither Torchetti nor Haviland could be reached for comment. Neither coach is still with the franchise.
There's another two names now that the Hawks could have asked to verify the claims that management was told. But it seems like they've been trying to protect him (and their selves) since at least 2013 when they refused to talk with police.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #62
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't know why you keep insinuating that I'm saying the organization needs to take the TSN article as irrefutably evidence.

Again, I've repeatedly said that they should go to the independent witness (who was a former cop no less) to verify the claims in the article.

You're the one taking what I believe is a rather silly position that this needs to be proven in court before anything can happen.

I've taken the position that this needs to be investigated fully and not simply taken as truthful what is printed on the media. I assume that is what is being done. If that investigation proves what is being alleged, then heads can and should roll.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #63
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think it would be wise to wait for these allegations to be actually proven in court.
You said proven in court.

I also don't think the investigation needs to be of such scrutiny that you're making it out to be. It's a 15 minute phone call.

"Hey John and Mike, did Paul tell you he told management? What about you Jeff, why were you telling other employees he molested players, how did you know?"

Done.

Again, they aren't investigating the actual rape or anything criminal. They just need to know if Bowman was told or not. But they obviously know he was, now they are in damage control and just trying to continue to hide it and protect themselves from the lawsuits.
Old 06-23-2021, 02:43 PM   #64
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

If someone feels emboldened enough to sexually assault high-profile athletes (millionaires, frankly) on a stage as big as the NHL then I'm terrified to think what else he has gotten away with before and afterward.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 03:26 PM   #65
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not a good look for the organization.
looking worse every day.

all it would have taken at the time is one person at the top doing the right thing. the did all this for some no name video guy.
I could see them doing what they did if it was stan bowman who was the accused, but for Aldrich?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #66
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

This needs to be dealt with as harshly as possible. If it’s true that everyone who worked in the Blackhawks’ front office knew about this, then each and every one of them should be immediately blackballed from the NHL and forbidden to work in hockey again at any level.
Dogbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:07 PM   #67
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

#### that entire organization. Burn it to the ground. Reprehensible.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:17 PM   #68
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why on earth would the organization protect that scumbag and cover this up? Unbelievable

IMO that's a scary sexual predator that has the nerve to sexually assault people who would seemingly be in a higher position of power than he was. I mean he was a video coach for crying put loud.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:27 PM   #69
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Why on earth would the organization protect that scumbag and cover this up? Unbelievable

IMO that's a scary sexual predator that has the nerve to sexually assault people who would seemingly be in a higher position of power than he was. I mean he was a video coach for crying put loud.
The police thing is probably legally covering their but, a lot of originations won't give a negative review anyone. I would hope that they wanted the police to get the warrant.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:38 PM   #70
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure they were legally covering their butts (because they ####ed up by not going to the police earlier), but I'm not sure it's the same as a bad review by a previous employer. This would be more of a criminal, not civil, matter I don't think you need to worry about talking to police in that regard. Someone can correct me, but I highly doubt they would open themselves up to anything if they didn't lie to the police.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:08 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm sure they were legally covering their butts (because they ####ed up by not going to the police earlier), but I'm not sure it's the same as a bad review by a previous employer. This would be more of a criminal, not civil, matter I don't think you need to worry about talking to police in that regard. Someone can correct me, but I highly doubt they would open themselves up to anything if they didn't lie to the police.
I'm not even going to attempt to correct you because I dont know either, frankly, I dont get it.

Was this guy the greatest Video Coach in the History of the Game and completely irreplaceable? Even then....Because nothing is worth covering this up. If it was an 'open secret' why didnt they just fire the guy and leave him to his own devices?

The only thing I can think of is if he was connected with other organizations or friends or something? It doesnt make sense to me at all.

As soon as this 'open secret' crossed my desk the dude would be out on his ass without so much as a complimentary Taxi Voucher and then if the Police want to take the matter farther that seems like it would be up to the Justice System.

But hell if I know. All I can think of is maybe he was connected or maybe they thought 'something' would be pinned on them (the Royal 'They' as in the Organization) but I dont see how that would be worse than just 'hoping nobody finds out' or praying that 'he doesnt do it again.'

Doesnt looking the other way despite knowledge effectively make them complicit?

Its like putting the Fox in the Henhouse and then locking the door from the outside. It doesnt get much worse.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #72
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just read the story about this on TSN. I think some big NHL names are going to be held to account.

Pretty unbelievable that something like this could be swept under the rug. But I guess it’s happened before. So maybe it isn’t unbelievable.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:17 AM   #73
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://theathletic.com/2672134/2021...shared_article

Quote:
Following their second-round victory over the Vancouver Canucks in May 2010, the Blackhawks flew straight to San Jose for the Western Conference finals rather than return home to Chicago. They spent a full week in San Jose, with four off days before the series began.

It was then, at the team hotel and local bars, that word spread among the players that two teammates had accused video coach Brad Aldrich of sexual assault, alleging that he got them drunk and tried to perform oral sex on them.

“Every guy on the team knew about it,” one player on the 2010 team told The Athletic. “Every single guy on the team knew.”
Quote:
The former player who spoke with The Athletic, who was not one of the two players who disclosed Aldrich’s alleged assault to Vincent, said he recently Googled the official team photo from the morning of the parade, and sure enough, Aldrich is in it.

“That doesn’t bother me, that they let him take pictures with the Cup,” the 2010 Blackhawks player said. “What bothers me is they fired him, but they didn’t take it to the cops. … They let him get a job with a U-18 team. They let him go work with minors. They let this happen.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #74
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Really? It doesn’t bother a player that they let Aldrich get his picture with the team and the Cup after they knew he was accused of sexually assaulting two members of the team?

That these guys have to see him when they look at that pic?
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:07 AM   #75
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Really? It doesn’t bother a player that they let Aldrich get his picture with the team and the Cup after they knew he was accused of sexually assaulting two members of the team?

That these guys have to see him when they look at that pic?
Username does not checkout.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:45 AM   #76
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
kind of bugs me that the player says "they let that happen"

If all the players knew, why the hell didn't any of them do anything about it?

I could see a journeyman 4th liner being scared to, as he could be let go and blackballed from the league pretty easy.

but one of the untouchable stars sure could have. or the team as a group could have demanded action. they don't get to come out of this squeaky clean.
I thought attitudes had changed by 2010 but it's like nothing changed in hockey since the Fluery and Kennedy assaults happened.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 09:56 AM   #77
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
kind of bugs me that the player says "they let that happen"

If all the players knew, why the hell didn't any of them do anything about it?

I could see a journeyman 4th liner being scared to, as he could be let go and blackballed from the league pretty easy.

but one of the untouchable stars sure could have. or the team as a group could have demanded action. they don't get to come out of this squeaky clean.
I thought attitudes had changed by 2010 but it's like nothing changed in hockey since the Fluery and Kennedy assaults happened.
One, we don't know what "level" of players these were that were assaulted, right?

Two, among players it might of been known, but it's also the responsibility of the employer to hear these claims and act accordingly. I guess they could have done more, but it gets pretty close to victim blaming if we go down that road. This guy was in a position of power, this guy abused these players, and this guy's employers were made aware of this and ignored it. I think as an employee of any organization, it's fair to believe that abuse should be handled by the employer. And I think it's fair to say "they let this happen."

I can see a scenario where some players may rightly share some of the guilt around this, but not the responsibility. I don't think that's fair to the players who both were the victims in this case and the ones at risk of being victimized.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #78
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
One, we don't know what "level" of players these were that were assaulted, right?

Two, among players it might of been known, but it's also the responsibility of the employer to hear these claims and act accordingly. I guess they could have done more, but it gets pretty close to victim blaming if we go down that road. This guy was in a position of power, this guy abused these players, and this guy's employers were made aware of this and ignored it. I think as an employee of any organization, it's fair to believe that abuse should be handled by the employer. And I think it's fair to say "they let this happen."

I can see a scenario where some players may rightly share some of the guilt around this, but not the responsibility. I don't think that's fair to the players who both were the victims in this case and the ones at risk of being victimized.
good points
especially with the bolded.

thanks. I should have stepped back from the immediate emotion and thought about it more logically.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 06-25-2021 at 10:34 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #79
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty disgusted by Sportsnet and the NHL.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...ult-assistant/

There's really no reason they couldn't have reported on the first lawsuit in May or the accusations that fell out of it in the following month. This was obvious at the behest of the NHL and to 'sit' on the story until it became apparent that the bigger media was going to cover it and then finally cover it...well they aren't much better than Bowman and friends.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #80
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

Yeah, what you say is fair, but "if we all knew", is there no responsibility on the "leadership group" to at least go talk to Quenneville and ensure that "something" happens? I am not saying that these guys are responsible, but it sure seems like the human thing to do. They also could have all talked to their agents/lawyers and asked them to deal with it with the team at a higher level, if they were unwilling to get involved themselves. These are not 15-17 year-old junior kids away from home. They are still young and inexperienced, but they have lawyers that can advise them and take care of the "dirty" work if need be...

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote