Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #1901
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Won’t once the next gen of kids start buying vehicles they will start buying vans and wagons instead of SUVs. No one wants their parents car
That is what I am assuming will happen. Once gen z and the next gen start buying cars I think they will shun the SUVs and crossovers. I expect that they will stay away from trucks as well. But who knows?
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:00 PM   #1902
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The idea that if Mercedes-Benz made something that more readily embraced a "minivan" identity or conventionality it would sell better is... reaching.
Better than other minivans or better than the R-class did? Because if the latter, I think the real downfall of the R-class was not just committing to an identity. If they didn't want to make a minivan because they thought it was beneath the Mercedes-Benz brand, then don't make one. But if you go half measures and make something that is sort of like a minivan but isn't actually one, potential customers just don't know what to make of it and that confusion does not yield sales. I think had they just gone all out and actually made a full-on minivan it would have been considerably more successful, which, admittedly, is a low bar to clear.

That said, is there actually a real, significant-to-the-point-of-being-worthwhile market opportunity for a Benz-style luxury minivan at a Benz price point? I don't know. Unfortunately the reality is that it probably makes more sense to just keep pumping out SUVs.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #1903
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of minivans, anybody seen a Kia Carnival? Apparently they're in quite high demand. Canadian trim options suck though...the only way to get memory seats is on the SX, which has the non-removable mid row captain seats that don't actually seem that great.

Memory seats are kind of a deal breaker for us with our height differential, so I guess I'm back to Odyssey vs. Sienna (but non-removable mid row seems limiting).

Thoughts on Unhaggle? Any other services worth considering?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #1904
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like what Hyundai/Kia have been doing of late but what were they smoking naming any vehicle the Carnival? What's next, the Kia Jamboree?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #1905
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Off topic, but what an absolute hideous design of the 2022 Outlander's front end.
It's as if they designed the sheet metal of the hood and front end snout to be aggressive and cutting edge, and then realized that the headlight design and size they wanted wasn't going to fit in the sheet metal kinks. Thus, comically small headlights, jammed in, sitting recessed way too far back of the actual front end, with painted body metal between it and the grill. Then, the area and the headlights themselvrs jewelled and chromed up to try and make it look elegant.

It reminds me of a coupe things, seeing a first year model barebones GMC Canyon they had the sealed beam headlight option, not the halogen one, and the square headlights jammed awkwardly into the space where, on the other models, the headlight until flowed a bit into the hood.

Which is why I bought a new 2020, the 2022 was very odd looking.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #1906
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Speaking of minivans, anybody seen a Kia Carnival? Apparently they're in quite high demand. Canadian trim options suck though...the only way to get memory seats is on the SX, which has the non-removable mid row captain seats that don't actually seem that great.

Memory seats are kind of a deal breaker for us with our height differential, so I guess I'm back to Odyssey vs. Sienna (but non-removable mid row seems limiting).

Thoughts on Unhaggle? Any other services worth considering?
I’ve pulled the carcostcanada report of the last few vehicles we’ve purchased new. It’s definitely not a flawless strategy, but I like that I can at least get an idea of how much wiggle room there might be and most of the time it gives you a good idea of what deals are on for specific models. I also found it useful to understand which trim levels are a better bang for buck in general and specifically for what we’re looking for. Most dealers like to play the “confuse the numbers” game, so my strategy has been to use the report to come up with my number in the same silly language they’ll use (before tax, after tax, finance on x term, etc) and then at least I have something to compare to.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #1907
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I like what Hyundai/Kia have been doing of late but what were they smoking naming any vehicle the Carnival? What's next, the Kia Jamboree?
Apparently it was the international badge for their minivan all along (instead of Sedona).

It's kinda like sports team names...new ones always sound hokey and less 'legit'. I don't mind 'carnival' for a big family vehicle.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:56 PM   #1908
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi’d imagine this has been discussed in this thread before; however, what is everyone’s take on some of the various types of system flushes availible.

I was in a rush and went to mr. lube to get my oil changed and they recommended a coolant flush and a transmission fluid service, fuel system flush etc. I went in hoping for a $100 bill and walked out $400 later.

They also told me my battery was getting questionable - so it was off to CT for a $200 battery.

Vehicle in question is a 2015 explorer with 61,000kms.

Seemed to me it was time to change some of these fluids and generally tend to keep my vehicles for a while.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #1909
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Hi’d imagine this has been discussed in this thread before; however, what is everyone’s take on some of the various types of system flushes availible.

I was in a rush and went to mr. lube to get my oil changed and they recommended a coolant flush and a transmission fluid service, fuel system flush etc. I went in hoping for a $100 bill and walked out $400 later.

They also told me my battery was getting questionable - so it was off to CT for a $200 battery.

Seemed to me it was time to change some of these fluids and generally tend to keep my vehicles for a while.
Well, what does the owner’s manual say that the service interval is for these items?

Not sure what a fuel system flush is, but my Honda says that the coolant gets changed at 10 years/110k miles (I think) and the transmission is every 30k miles I think.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:07 PM   #1910
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

All a good idea but not at a lube shop. Well coolant maybe, that just needs a drain and fill so no biggie there.

For a transmission they wouldn't have actually done a flush, they just did a drain and fill so it only replaced maybe 20% of the total fluid in your tranny. A full flush requires a machine to cycle the old fluid out. You can get similar results with a drain and fill but you'll have to do it about 4 or 5 times with driving between each time to actually get the state of the fluid in your transmission to be nice and new. That's something I'd get an actual mechanic to do so they replace the transmission filter while they're at it, a lube shop isn't going to do that (and I wouldn't trust them to even if they were willing)

The fuel flush I guarantee was just a bottle of 'fuel system cleaner' dumped in your tank that they then charged $50+ for. Not worth it at all since our fuel has so many cleaners in it here, but if you do want peace of mind you can get a bottle of the stuff for $15 at any auto parts store and add it yourself
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 06:18 PM   #1911
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Lube shops are the worst for upselling. You're not anywhere close to needing a coolant or transmission service. Did they change the transmission and fuel filters?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 12:10 AM   #1912
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Don’t get a tranny flush. A lot of OEs specifically recommend against it. The service intervals and specs are intended to be a drain, filter and refill. I don’t know a single OE that recommends a flush service, for a few reasons. They’re a waste of money at best, and can do damage at worst.

Same applies to any fluid flush service. Oil, Coolant, fuel etc. It voids all OE warranty for a reason. If it’s not precisely the fluid that you would be running in the system regularly, there’s no need to add it.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #1913
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i should have been thinking more when i was in the lube shop.......i guess my issue is time versus mileage as the fluids were getting to be 6 yrs old; however, the mileage was low - i assume in those cass that the determining factor should still be mileage.

lesson learned to just book an appointment at a full service shop, or just stick with the oil change.
Old 06-22-2021, 07:45 AM   #1914
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Lube shops are the worst for upselling. You're not anywhere close to needing a coolant or transmission service. Did they change the transmission and fuel filters?
Sent my 20 yr old to get the oil changed on the car of ours that he is driving, came home with a larger than expected bill for all the things they upsold him on. I think there was an expectation I would pay the difference but life is full of lessons.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #1915
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Sent my 20 yr old to get the oil changed on the car of ours that he is driving, came home with a larger than expected bill for all the things they upsold him on. I think there was an expectation I would pay the difference but life is full of lessons.
Seems like before you sent him to the shop would have been a better time to give that lesson.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #1916
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Upselling is a nice way to describe these absolute scam artists.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:05 AM   #1917
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
That's a ####ty lube shop. The one I go to will tell me stuff is unnecessary.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #1918
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
That's a ####ty lube shop. The one I go to will tell me stuff is unnecessary.
Can you share the shop with us?
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:42 PM   #1919
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Habernac's Beaucoup de Lube
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #1920
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Car dealers do that too. “Free oil changes for life” but you need to buy a cabin filter each time for $60 that has a cost of $3
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote